Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First. I apologize if this thread is in the wrong g area . So I was going to supercharge but I decided to go with a cam instead. I’ve heard server all videos with 274 comp cam and it sounds mean. I think the full setup was the cam SLP LM1, Borla long tubes with no cats. However I’ve heard there’s issues with this cam. So what would be the better choice custom grind or 274? What I want most big lope with daily drivability. A hp gain would be nice too. I also have an auto so I have vvt. One vid the guy used remote start so I think that means he has an auto. Oh yea I’m also on a 5.7 platform. Any info is appreciated

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,821 Posts
All +2009 5.7 hemis have VVT (advances/retards the cam for optimal performance and emissions) but only the 5.7 and 6.4 automatics have MDS. If you go with a big cam you can essentially kiss VVT goodbye and the MDS lifters go bye bye as well.

There are several threads on the web stating the 274 is too big for a 5.7. If you go too big you also might need a different trans converter. It can be made to work but requires significant tuning kung fu. I would reach out to some of the forum vendors like MMX, HHP or Steve White Parts...to name a couple...that typically sell power addons for challengers and are well versed in big cam swaps.

I think we all want our 5.7 to sound like this but I am pretty sure street driveability suffers.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All +2009 5.7 hemis have VVT (advances/retards the cam for optimal performance and emissions) but only the 5.7 and 6.4 automatics have MDS. If you go with a big cam you can essentially kiss VVT goodbye and the MDS lifters go bye bye as well.

There are several threads on the web stating the 274 is too big for a 5.7. If you go too big you also might need a different trans converter. It can be made to work but requires significant tuning kung fu. I would reach out to some of the forum vendors like MMX, HHP or Steve White Parts...to name a couple...that typically sell power addons for challengers and are well versed in big cam swaps.

I think we all want our 5.7 to sound like this but I am pretty sure street driveability suffers.
Yea that’s the exact sound I want. Wha do you mean street drivability suffers? Like how bad I mean. And yea from the posts I’ve read people say to go to josh from hhp and I was planning to get hellcat lifters and mds delete so i was planning on 2500 without install

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,821 Posts
Yea that’s the exact sound I want. Wha do you mean street drivability suffers?
Well just from what I have read, lots of guys complained about the cars stalling when coming to a stop (or just stalling in general)...but that is all tune related and probably a thing of the past.

·
Registered
182 Posts
You'll be happier with a custom cam from MMX, OST Dyno, or Jay Greene. While the 274 is a solid cam, you'll get better gains and support with a custom cam from any of these three shops.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well just from what I have read, lots of guys complained about the cars stalling when coming to a stop (or just stalling in general)...but that is all tune related and probably a thing of the past.
Hmmm sounds like a hit or miss I’ll peobaby go custom cam.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You'll be happier with a custom cam from MMX, OST Dyno, or Jay Greene. While the 274 is a solid cam, you'll get better gains and support with a custom cam from any of these three shops.
Yes I’ve heard great things about jay Greene but could I still get a lot of lope while still getting good reliability? Mostly

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is a clip of the cam I want but was quoted 11k... Darn thing requires a new torque converter and ported heads. (at least they are included in the quote).

Yea that’s a nice sound like I want. 11k ??? Holy hell why? I didn’t the torque converter and head porting would make it be that much

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,819 Posts
Here's the thing, while the lope is a desirable sound, it's usually a result of seeking big power, and all the other parts that requires. You have rather an odd request in that the lope is your major desire. Saying that a HP gain would be nice too.

Most are seeking HP (mostly for the torque that accompanies it in most cases), and this can be accomplished with very little lope quite often. Lope is a result of overlap, the intake and exhaust valves being open at the same time. At idle you will get exhaust fouling the intake charge, etc. At high RPMs it will help the engine "breathe" better. But as a result, often a high idle speed is needed just to keep it running.

Honestly, getting a "big" cam with lope would usually be done after the other engine mods have been made. For normal driving, just to have the lovely rump, rump sound, it wouldn't be the best decision.

A Guy

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's the thing, while the lope is a desirable sound, it's usually a result of seeking big power, and all the other parts that requires. You have rather an odd request in that the lope is your major desire. Saying that a HP gain would be nice too.

Most are seeking HP (mostly for the torque that accompanies it in most cases), and this can be accomplished with very little lope quite often. Lope is a result of overlap, the intake and exhaust valves being open at the same time. At idle you will get exhaust fouling the intake charge, etc. At high RPMs it will help the engine "breathe" better. But as a result, often a high idle speed is needed just to keep it running.

Honestly, getting a "big" cam with lope would usually be done after the other engine mods have been made. For normal driving, just to have the lovely rump, rump sound, it wouldn't be the best decision.

A Guy
Well damn. That’s a bummer I guess supercharger it is!! I just don’t care about power all I’m doing on my build is a cam supercharger and a full exhaust. Probably like 600 hp build. So any cam will do as long as it sounds good. My logic anyways.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yes I’ve heard great things about jay Greene but could I still get a lot of lope while still getting good reliability? Mostly
I got a nice Jay Greene Cam with a solid lope. Adding additional mods such as long tube headers, ATI Underdrive Pulley, Ported Intake, and ported Throttle Body will increase cam efficiency and horsepower. If you have the funds, upgrade to ported heads too. I'm pushing close to 500 RWHP with my 392. Total cost was around $5k with me doing the installation.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,821 Posts
I got a nice Jay Greene Cam with a solid lope. Adding additional mods such as long tube headers, ATI Underdrive Pulley, Ported Intake, and ported Throttle Body will increase cam efficiency and horsepower. If you have the funds, upgrade to ported heads too. I'm pushing close to 500 RWHP with my 392. Total cost was around $5k with me doing the installation.
You running a stock torque converter?

·
Registered
182 Posts
You running a stock torque converter?
I have a M6.

When I state it was $5k for my build, understand I upgraded to Johnson Slow Bleed Lifters and bought a second set of heads. That alone added $1400 to the $5k. In reality the cost (with Longtubes) was around $3500 with me dong the installation.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will be doing high flow cats and Borla or SLP long tubes at the same time. That’s crazy!! I’m not experienced enough to do a cam install but with both of those with install I’m hoping for 5k or less. How much is porting heads if U don’t mind me asking?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I will be doing high flow cats and Borla or SLP long tubes at the same time. That’s crazy!! I’m not experienced enough to do a cam install but with both of those with install I’m hoping for 5k or less. How much is porting heads if U don’t mind me asking?
I did them myself. Got sanding rolls from Harbor Freight and smoothed everything out. I also had the heads planed and valve seats machined to ensure no issues after installation.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
That cam, in the video I posted, with all the other mods (ported heads) was Dynoed at OST Dyno at 563 WHP when installed in a 392. They never installed that big of a cam in anything smallest than a 6.1l so I would be the first 5.7l to get that cam from their shop. The power level is awesome, the idle is a bonus, the price for me is what makes me think about starting small, Tune first then the converter and retune, then the cam and headers. I really want the MDS lifters gone and while you are in there switching them, you may as well slide in a bigger "bump stick" while you are at it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is a clip of the cam I want but was quoted 11k... Darn thing requires a new torque converter and ported heads. (at least they are included in the quote).

These cars don’t need ported heads. It’s a “gold watch “ but by no means necessary. They flow more air than a 5.7 L could use unless you are rpm ing the crap out of it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts