Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I imagine what it cam like that you'll be turning 6500 to 7000 RPMs

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
With a stock bottom end doing that you are asking for trouble. Even so a stock eagle head flows as good as a fully ported W2 which will support 7500 rpm + on a 340 ci engine. You will pick up some power up top but don’t expect 50 hp. Maybe 20 on a good day. Now on a large stroker it would be worth while or a forced induction engine.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,171 Posts
FYI - just stumbled on this Q&A from MMX...has some good info.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
FYI - just stumbled on this Q&A from MMX...has some good info.
Good info. Not looking good for the lope tho

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,171 Posts
Well basically if you want lope you sacrifice VVT.

BTW on Friday a cammed camaro pulled up to me at the light. Looked like he was headed to the drag strip as he had drag radials on the back. It had a real nice lope but jeebus did it take quite a bit of rpms for it to move...must have had a high stall converter as well. Great setup for the strip but can't image driving it as a daily.

·
Registered
708 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
xxdirtyjoexx, in your opinion, is 7,000 RPM do able with out swapping pistons and rods?
Obviously the valve train would need some help for sure.

These 392's have so much low end punch, (and corresponding traction issues) that I think trading a bit of low end torque for more hp and an extended RPM window, would be a welcome change.

·
Registered
176 Posts
xxdirtyjoexx, in your opinion, is 7,000 RPM do able with out swapping pistons and rods?
Obviously the valve train would need some help for sure.

These 392's have so much low end punch, (and corresponding traction issues) that I think trading a bit of low end torque for more hp and an extended RPM window, would be a welcome change.
Rods and pistons will go to 7k, but the valvetrain needs seriously upgraded. If I was going to consistently run to 7k, I would upgrade the springs, lifters, forged pushrods, chrome moly rocker shafts, and tie bars with collars. I know people have taken the 392 Hemi to 7.4k RPM, but I wouldn't be comfortable doing that without forged pistons and rods. Perhaps someone else can chime in their expertise. Unless you are doing some serious roll racing, the cam you are looking for will be a pig off the line. 3k-6.6k IMO is the sweet spot for the 392.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,171 Posts
By lifter upgrade, do you mean remove the MDS lifters and swap them with non-MDS? I have seen threads saying to go with hell cat lifters but they are the same lifters used by all HEMIs. I have also seen vendors list lifters as being heavy duty but at the same time they say they are OEM. Now Comp Cam and Johnson (3x to cost of Comp Cam) supposedly makes lifters for Gen3 "higher HP" HEMIs but can they really handle the higher revs?

·
Registered
176 Posts
By lifter upgrade, do you mean remove the MDS lifters and swap them with non-MDS? I have seen threads saying to go with hell cat lifters but they are the same lifters used by all HEMIs. I have also seen vendors list lifters as being heavy duty but at the same time they say they are OEM. Now Comp Cam and Johnson (3x to cost of Comp Cam) supposedly makes lifters for Gen3 "higher HP" HEMIs but can they really handle the higher revs?

I went with Johnson Slow Bleed Lifters. With how much the Dodge OEM lifters have had trouble, I decided to go aftermarket. I have 14k miles on the Johnson lifters with no problems yet.

Edit: I got the lifters for around $800. Someone had them for a build, but decided to upgrade their car. Lucky me!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Rods and pistons will go to 7k, but the valvetrain needs seriously upgraded. If I was going to consistently run to 7k, I would upgrade the springs, lifters, forged pushrods, chrome moly rocker shafts, and tie bars with collars. I know people have taken the 392 Hemi to 7.4k RPM, but I wouldn't be comfortable doing that without forged pistons and rods. Perhaps someone else can chime in their expertise. Unless you are doing some serious roll racing, the cam you are looking for will be a pig off the line. 3k-6.6k IMO is the sweet spot for the 392.
xxxdirtyjoexxx, are you running a stick or the A8?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts