Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was checking out some of the other Forums around the web, was just curious to see what camaro and mustang guys have to say about new 392 since dyno testing on the new 392 and car n driver and some other guys doing are revealing latest test numbers, wow! they are either bothered, hating, or just trash talk, or all of the above. There are some that give credit where deserved and say comments like "Dodge finally doing something right" or more comments like "its still a fat pig, but oh!wait it runs mid 12's!" just funny to see the comments or threads on what is being said about the new 392 and over all just fear. But of course there is that one guy that post "my $5,000.00 value F-body will walk all over this thing, with my big 500ci stroker engine!" "they are too expensive anyways" etc, etc. :sleep:

makes even me wonder should I even bother with supercharging my 2010 or just trade up! lol

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
Too funny, they can trash talk all they want. I will always be a MOPAR guy.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
i suspect 2011 will be the only year the SRT will be faster than the SS and 5.0

look for slight power increases in 2012 from both....the 5.0 doesnt need much

the boss 302 will beat us

im glad we won the muscle car war for a year atleast...who knows, maybe it will take them until 2013 to get ahead of the Challenger...

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you plan on keeping your car supercharge it. Once you do that all the smack talk wont even matter. Once you are running 500 plus at the rear you will be able to more than hold your own.:)
Midwest

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Was checking out some of the other Forums around the web, was just curious to see what camaro and mustang guys have to say about new 392 since dyno testing on the new 392 and car n driver and some other guys doing are revealing latest test numbers, wow! they are either bothered, hating, or just trash talk, or all of the above. There are some that give credit where deserved and say comments like "Dodge finally doing something right" or more comments like "its still a fat pig, but oh!wait it runs mid 12's!" just funny to see the comments or threads on what is being said about the new 392 and over all just fear. But of course there is that one guy that post "my $5,000.00 value F-body will walk all over this thing, with my big 500ci stroker engine!" "they are too expensive anyways" etc, etc. :sleep:

makes even me wonder should I even bother with supercharging my 2010 or just trade up! lol
Doesn't matter to me....the grass is always greener.....

·
Registered
49 Posts
how much faster is the 392 compared to the 2010 model? i've seen all the stats and everything but what's it really like? does it feel much faster?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you plan on keeping your car supercharge it. Once you do that all the smack talk wont even matter. Once you are running 500 plus at the rear you will be able to more than hold your own.:)
Midwest
I hear you on that one! In the end I still came to that conclusion.:bigthumb:
cant wait! just doing a little more research work on this, but she should be blown before spring is over, going into summertime.

But like TinCuda says, "too funny", too funny indeed! Just funny to go and read what other people are saying about Mopar latley.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Motorweek tested the new 2011 SRT with the 392 Hemi. They were trying to down play even it competitiveness against Chevy and Ford. They said it ran 0-60 in 4.5 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 12.9 @ 113 mph. Coincidentally, they reported there was a 30 mph head wind at the track at the time of testing for the 392. But that didn't seem to matter to them as they stated the 392 Hemi was no threat to the Ford Mustang or the Chevy SS or Z28. Biased. That is the word that comes to mind.
I can't remember where, maybe Youtube or *********************, that was a vid of a guy running his new 392 CHallenger at the track. It ran a 12.45 @ 111.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
have any of you guys even raced a mustang or camaro yet?
aarcuda, there is another thread I believe in here where a 392 ran a new camaro ss pretty good. by the looks of all the test numbers, even with motorweeks down play of their test, this is still a tad faster then the ss testing numbers. also now with people out their dynoing these new 11's, they look like they are underrated at hp, they just dynoed a bone stock one at 443hp at the wheels, that sure doesnt sound like 470hp at the crank, that is more closer to 500hp at the crank, what I saw in other forums was people talking about how "dodge was conservative with hp numbers" and "this thing is more like 500hp", this is from other forums, not from here.

aarcuda, you seem to find it hard to believe? :scratchhead: lol.
hey I like all 3 car makers muscle cars, just a fan of mopar more then anything. And I give the other cars their props, just nice to finally here some credit for us "fat pig cars" :bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
have any of you guys even raced a mustang or camaro yet?
The camaro is no problem for the 6.4L, I have beat SS Camaros with my 5.7 no problem. Now the 5.0 Mustang runs damn good. Ive seen bone stock 5.0's running mid to high 12's in the 111-113 mph range. AUTO and MANUAL.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I've went up against an SS when I had my 6.1 and put a nice spanking on him. I haven't raced anyone in my 392 yet nor have I been challenged.

·
Registered
27 Posts
A Dodge bias does exist to some extent. Top Gear featured the Camero, and while Clarkson hated it, they gave it an okay review. Now compare that to when the show came to the states and they had to buy an SRT8 because Dodge wouldn’t give them one. The first thing Clarkson asked as if the decals were real carbon fiber – which is ridiculous because if you’re going to make a freaking carbon fiber hood you’re going to do the whole hood for weight purposes, not stripes. He then pointed to the air intake and asked if it was ram air, and after finding out it wasn’t said they were useless. Of course, he had no idea that the intakes on the 70 challenger were exactly the same in primary function, which is just allowing air to flow into the engine compartment in general. They were functional in that regard, just as they are now on SRT8 models.

The new Boss 302, according to Car And driver, is 440 horse/ 380 lb-ft of torque. The 302 Laguna Seca is really the version of the car that’s impressive. Then again, it’s been stripped completely to be little more than two seats and an engine.

End of the day – it still looks like a modern Mustang, no matter what they do to the fascias and the colour. NOTHING looks as good as the Challenger, not even close. It retains the most amount of its heritage, and that, to me, is what makes it awesome.

As someone said, you can do a lot to the new engine, just as you can to most, to increase HP. Hell, if you wanted to you could get over 600 hp out of the car, redo the suspension and exhaust completely, etc, etc. Got the money, anything can be done.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
matthewgood, I watch top gear all the time and they made fun of the SRT8 challenger in many ways, some which you already mentioned, but to tell you the truth they made fun of the new ZR1 corvette too! And we all know that thing is just a machine! They just put down anything American made period.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Also, what's with car and driver doing a head to head with the 392 and a Shelby? Not the Mustang Shelby GT500 you can see on the Ford website - the one you send off to Shelby America. The price difference between the cars is enormous - the shelby is more than double the price of a 392 IE. It has specific performance parts added to it, the works. Who, in their right mind, thinks doing a piece with these two cars even makes sense? It's like taking that Shelby and putting it up against a Ferrari GTB 599 and saying that the shelby's okay but it just can't match the overall power and handling of the 599 - which is three times as much.

·
Registered
27 Posts
matthewgood, I watch top gear all the time and they made fun of the SRT8 challenger in many ways, some which you already mentioned, but to tell you the truth they made fun of the new ZR1 corvette too! And we all know that thing is just a machine! They just put down anything American made period.
He did, but he eventually came around about it. I mean, the truth is the ZR1 isn't even a muscle car. It can compete with European super cars, and it's 1/4th the price of most of them.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also, what's with car and driver doing a head to head with the 392 and a Shelby? Not the Mustang Shelby GT500 you can see on the Ford website - the one you send off to Shelby America. The price difference between the cars is enormous - the shelby is more than double the price of a 392 IE. It has specific performance parts added to it, the works. Who, in their right mind, thinks doing a piece with these two cars even makes sense? It's like taking that Shelby and putting it up against a Ferrari GTB 599 and saying that the shelby's okay but it just can't match the overall power and handling of the 599 - which is three times as much.
agree with you 100%

·
Banned
863 Posts
I have been on their forums and I read the opposite. Many of them said they would love to have a Challenger parked in their garage (mostly about the 392).
They cannot deny it.
This car is the only American true muscle car on the road today. No paddle shifters or compromised body designs for grannys/racers.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Big fat pig, that's what I drive. Part of the issue is where pony cars end and full size muscle begins. It's a driver's choice, but I never cared for Corvettes, and other than looking at them at shows, I'm not a fan of driving pony cars either. Style, comfort, and muscle is a 3-requirement deal for me, so if I lose a few hp or a few seconds, so be it. I'm happy for the pony drivers who will be happy with mustangs and camaros, makes my car that much more unique. The legacy of 1960s 300s and Wildcats was to stuff really big engines into rather big cars. Give me a Wildcat or 300 from the 60s, or a Charger or Challenger from modern times, and it's fine if I don't have the bottom line fastest car on the road. After all, Japanese bikes could take me all day long, but then again, look what you have to ride to get that performance.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts