Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if we are not supposed to bring up competitors in this section, but after the Camaro ZL1 announcement today the 392 just got a bump up in my book.

Before the announcement today I was really on the fence about purchasing a 392 soon. I prefer the look, space, and naturally aspirated nature of the Challenger... however I didn't want to buy one and find out the new top Camaro was going to a game changer immediately afterward.

Now with it appearing as though the Camaro is quite similar to the 2011 GT500, 550ish HP from a blower etc... The Challenger is the real stand-out of the group. The GT500 is already starting at over $5,000 more than the 392, and the ZL1 with its adjustable magnetic suspension is sure to start at an even higher price. Then there is the year until the ZL1 is available, the inevitable wait lists and potential dealer markups. Best case scenario you get one at MSRP in just over a year. Meanwhile isn't it true many are getting at or below invoice on 392's? (BTW any tips on getting such deals would be appreciated)

Sure the 392 its not going to be the fastest in a straight or around a track, but I think its the overall winner of the group. Now if only I could finagle a non-IE in white and stripe delete...

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Meanwhile isn't it true many are getting at or below invoice on 392's? (BTW any tips on getting such deals would be appreciated)
No. 2cardudes will sell to you at invoice. Many people on the forum have reported getting a little below MSRP. No one has reported getting less than invoice that I am aware of, especially on the IE. (Dealers still think there's something special about it simply because it's numbered and Dodge tells them it's special.)

I'm getting $500 below MSRP, I may try to get $500 more off using the disappearing mopar bucks as leverage. Or, I may just pass on the IE and get a non-IE 392 and save yet another $1000 even paying MSRP.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
IMO, the 392 is the better overall car (Performance, Looks and Cost) because it is Naturally Aspirated. I give bonus points for a car which gets it's power the old-fashioned way - on it's own! That's why I think the Boss 302 is a better car than the GT500. My top two are: 392 and Boss 302. I would go after a 392 Non-IE.

Musclecar Rankings:

1. 392
2. Boss 302
3. ZL-1
4. GT500
5. 5.0
6. SS
7. R/T

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
No. 2cardudes will sell to you at invoice. Many people on the forum have reported getting a little below MSRP. No one has reported getting less than invoice that I am aware of, especially on the IE. (Dealers still think there's something special about it simply because it's numbered and Dodge tells them it's special.)

I'm getting $500 below MSRP, I may try to get $500 more off using the disappearing mopar bucks as leverage. Or, I may just pass on the IE and get a non-IE 392 and save yet another $1000 even paying MSRP.
WRONG!

I just ordered and put down a deposit on my GWE SRT two days ago at $500 under invoice.

The ironic and somewhat sucky thing is that 2 hours after I had done this, the GM from another dealership I had been dealing with had emailed me offering to sell me the same car at $1000 under invoice! Needless to say, I was a little heartbroke as I was locked into my previous deal at this point as I signed for it and gave my deposit.

But the point is - these SRT's CAN be had for much under invoice - if you know what you are doing. :bigthumb:

JFF:D

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm getting my DWB IE from Baxter CJD in Omaha for MSRP. I think they might have a couple white and DWB IE's left. I agreed to MSRP before I did any research on pricing, so I'm not sure if you could get them to come down or not. Even if you wanted a non-IE 392, they can probably hook you up. They have some pretty good connections with the SRT group and they're good guys to work with. To give you an example, they got allocation for 15 IE's. That's a bunch considering there's only 1,100 in the whole country. Call Andrew Sallach if you're interested 402-510-1704.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
WRONG!

I just ordered and put down a deposit on my GWE SRT two days ago at $500 under invoice.

The ironic and somewhat sucky thing is that 2 hours after I had done this, the GM from another dealership I had been dealing with had emailed me offering to sell me the same car at $1000 under invoice! Needless to say, I was a little heartbroke as I was locked into my previous deal at this point as I signed for it and gave my deposit.

But the point is - these SRT's CAN be had for much under invoice - if you know what you are doing. :bigthumb:

So, who are these two dealers that are offering to sell for less than invoice?

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,735 Posts
I'd like to know as well. I'm not against flying out to pick one up and do a road trip back home unless it's way to far away. Let's know who they are. They deserve OUR business!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Under Invoice 101 - My Experience

So, who are these two dealers that are offering to sell for less than invoice?
I'd like to know as well. I'm not against flying out to pick one up and do a road trip back home unless it's way to far away. Let's know who they are. They deserve OUR business!
Ok guys. I am dead serious about getting a car under invoice. Actually, I didn't have two dealers offer to sell me a 2011 SRT in GWE for several hundreds of dollars under invoice - I had six (6)! Yes, you read that right. How? Simple.:bigthumb:

First, I went to www.truecar.com. I ran the quote on my car and it provide me names of 3 dealers within 150 miles who would sell to me at $500 or more under invoice. It also provided me with a "protected price certificate" guaranteeing their prices. I was immediately contacted by each dealership via email and one even called me 2 minutes later - and it was 8:00 PM! I then started talking/emailing each dealer about what I wanted and what I would or would not accept. I also then chose around 7 additional dealers within a 150 mile radius from where I live and emailed each one (copy/paste) what my best price was and asked them if they would meet or beat it. I was contacted back by every one of them, except one. Only one of those would not go below invoice. All of the others would go at least $500 and some a little more. I then went to my "preferred" local dealer, told him what I had found and asked if he wanted to compete in order to win my business. At first he wasn't thrilled, but he then agreed to sell to me at $500 under invoice. Because we already had a relationship from years of service work and he was local, I chose to go with them and signed the contract. In the meantime, one particular dealership was courting me very heavily (the one that called within 2 minutes). I had them down to $639 under invoice. They really wanted to order my car and were even willing to throw in a tank of gas to sell it to me (they are a couple hour drive for me). Then after I signed with my local guy - an hour later the GM emails me and says he will "sweeten the pot" and offers me $1000 under invoice! Too Late Dang It!

Anyway, ANYONE can do this. You just have to be proactive, be firm, tell them ONLY what you "will" pay and play the game.

My dealerships and I are in Wisconsin, home of the World Champion Green Bay Packers!!! If you still want to know the actual dealers, PM me and I will reply back. I would rather not list them here.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ok guys. I am dead serious about getting a car under invoice. Actually, I didn't have two dealers offer to sell me a 2011 SRT in GWE for several hundreds of dollars under invoice - I had six (6)! Yes, you read that right. How? Simple.:bigthumb:

First, I went to www.truecar.com. I ran the quote on my car and it provide me names of 3 dealers within 150 miles who would sell to me at $500 or more under invoice. It also provided me with a "protected price certificate" guaranteeing their prices. I was immediately contacted by each dealership via email and one even called me 2 minutes later - and it was 8:00 PM! I then started talking/emailing each dealer about what I wanted and what I would or would not accept. I also then chose around 7 additional dealers within a 150 mile radius from where I live and emailed each one (copy/paste) what my best price was and asked them if they would meet or beat it. I was contacted back by every one of them, except one. Only one of those would not go below invoice. All of the others would go at least $500 and some a little more. I then went to my "preferred" local dealer, told him what I had found and asked if he wanted to compete in order to win my business. At first he wasn't thrilled, but he then agreed to sell to me at $500 under invoice. Because we already had a relationship from years of service work and he was local, I chose to go with them and signed the contract. In the meantime, one particular dealership was courting me very heavily (the one that called within 2 minutes). I had them down to $639 under invoice. They really wanted to order my car and were even willing to throw in a tank of gas to sell it to me (they are a couple hour drive for me). Then after I signed with my local guy - an hour later the GM emails me and says he will "sweeten the pot" and offers me $1000 under invoice! Too Late Dang It!

Anyway, ANYONE can do this. You just have to be proactive, be firm, tell them ONLY what you "will" pay and play the game.

My dealerships and I are in Wisconsin, home of the World Champion Green Bay Packers!!! If you still want to know the actual dealers, PM me and I will reply back. I would rather not list them here.

JFF--I am Green With Envy at your success! Hopefully your tactics will work for other forum members out there.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I agree with this tactic. I used the same thing to purchase my last two cars.... 2009 Challenger SRT and a 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.7. I went through the same steps with cars.com. I ended up buying the Jeep locally because they would match my other offers. The challenger I had to drive 5 hours to Chicago because my local dealership would not budge on the price (their loss). The next week I stopped and visited the dealership with my new car.

Bandman

PS I am also from WI and I hope we get a heat wave soon.

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
How much?

Are you saying Below MSRP or Dealer invoice? Throw some numbers up there.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Are you saying Below MSRP or Dealer invoice? Throw some numbers up there.
I meant what I said, and I said what I meant.:)

MSRP never figures into the equation when I am talking about purchasing a new car. Dealers who want to work around that figure do not get my business and I move on. As I said, I am talking about Dealer Invoice.

The screenshot shows what I ordered. Invoice came to $46,064.

I paid invoice less $500 - plus fees and taxes, of course.

As I said, if I had waited 2 hours, I could have ordered the car at invoice less $1000 - plus fees and taxes, at another dealership when the "sweeten the pot" email came in.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
just got my Mopar bucks back on my IE...dealer had to call Dodge......he said everyone may get their Mopar bucks now!

·
Registered
27 Posts
By the looks of it they did a good job with the upgrades. Six piston brakes, 370/365 discs, all aluminum engine akin to the '69, brake air intakes, vented carbon fiber hood. I mean, I'm a Dodge guy, and I wouldn't want one, but given that they just outsold the Mustang, which has been on top sales wise for years, this upgrade in performance, no matter the high end cost, will probably help them retain that sales position. Because as is always the case - if you can't own the 'real deal' having something similar is the next best thing, and that'll translate into lower model sales.

Of course, and as has been said, the Challenger is naturally aspirated, which equals more old school, which equals better in my books any day of the week. If you plan to keep your 392 IE stock, it'll be worth more ten years from now without question as well. But were you to put some money into it, given the difference between it and what the new Camero will cost full up, the 392 could easily put up the same numbers whp wise. Plus, there are tons of different options for the Challenger to achieve that compared to the Camero, which would be a waste of money having bought it only to then up it again.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I meant what I said, and I said what I meant.:)

MSRP never figures into the equation when I am talking about purchasing a new car. Dealers who want to work around that figure do not get my business and I move on. As I said, I am talking about Dealer Invoice.

The screenshot shows what I ordered. Invoice came to $46,064.

I paid invoice less $500 - plus fees and taxes, of course.

As I said, if I had waited 2 hours, I could have ordered the car at invoice less $1000 - plus fees and taxes, at another dealership when the "sweeten the pot" email came in.

Dude don't sweat that little extra $500 bucks, that only represents 1% of your car's value, not worth the tension for 1%, you still got a better deal than most will.:)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Car & Driver posted on Twitter an estimated starting price around $47,000.....unlikely but if indeed it starts anywhere under $49,999 then that could become an issue for SRT8/392 Challengers.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Of course, and as has been said, the Challenger is naturally aspirated, which equals more old school, which equals better in my books any day of the week. If you plan to keep your 392 IE stock, it'll be worth more ten years from now without question as well. But were you to put some money into it, given the difference between it and what the new Camero will cost full up, the 392 could easily put up the same numbers whp wise. Plus, there are tons of different options for the Challenger to achieve that compared to the Camero, which would be a waste of money having bought it only to then up it again.
I wouldn't own a Camaro either, and it's a very expensive one at that, but with factory blower cars, it's usually easy as pie to add a tune and a blower pulley swap and pick up 50+ rwhp.

Personally, I would love to see Dodge build a supercharged 392 as a halo car, but I don't see it happening.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Car & Driver posted on Twitter an estimated starting price around $47,000.....unlikely but if indeed it starts anywhere under $49,999 then that could become an issue for SRT8/392 Challengers.
I can see a starting price right around the SRT price. That would be a wise competitive move. What's the Camaro going to do to Corvette sales? Never thought I would say this but, performance wise, I do like this new Camaro over the 392.

Dodger should have put a monster 500+ hp engine in the new Challenger SRT. Once again third place goes to the Challenger for performance.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts