Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my plans for my 2012 RT STP are to get a staggered wheel set up. 20x8.5 fronts with 20x10 backs. Tires Will be 245/35/20 fronts with 275/30/20 backs. I also wanted to lower my car with the Mopar Lowering Springs to drop it about one inch. Do i really need a camber kit? I know i would need an alignment. If so what parts would i need? I looked briefly at them and they have multiple different parts offered. Any recommendations would be great. Thanks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yes, speedlogx sells the right kit... Ignore the salesman that will tell you otherwise, there is no escaping from adjusting camber unless you want to go through a set of tires every oil change. :)

·
Banned
946 Posts
I didn't need a chamber kit when I lowered my R/T with eibach Pro-kit lowering springs (1 - 1 1/2 drop) and put wheels from Discount Tire (SRT replica) 20x9. I just took it to a alignment shop and had them align the front and rear, haven't had any issues since. But it might depend on how low you go.

·
Registered
38 Posts

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I have the Mopar Stage 1s on my RT. My rear camber is just a little out of spec, but after 5k miles there's been no unusual wear on the rear tires. In fact I bought a camber kit but haven't installed it yet. May have to sell it soon.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I'm running Eibach pro ....no camber kit...torq thrust M 10/20 and 8.5/20 with 295/40 and 245/45...so far so good. Can't see any unusual wear and been roughly 1-2k miles.

The alignment shop said it went just fine after the kit was installed.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
I didn't need a chamber kit when I lowered my R/T with eibach Pro-kit lowering springs (1 - 1 1/2 drop) and put wheels from Discount Tire (SRT replica) 20x9. I just took it to a alignment shop and had them align the front and rear, haven't had any issues since. But it might depend on how low you go.
There is no adjustment with the factory suspension aside from toe, if the shop claims they did, and you paid for, a 4-wheel alignment then you got ripped off.

With the height I'm running at right now I'm still at -1.50 degrees even with the camber bushings in the rear. Without them I would be way out of spec at -3.00.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Banned
946 Posts
There is no adjustment with the factory suspension aside from toe, if the shop claims they did, and you paid for, a 4-wheel alignment then you got ripped off.

With the height I'm running at right now I'm still at -1.50 degrees even with the camber bushings in the rear. Without them I would be way out of spec at -3.00.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
That's what I meant, they adjusted the toe as the front was way off after having the springs installed. $75 bucks well spent

·
Registered
81 Posts
LESSON TO ALL!! Get that CAMBER straightened out!! The place I took mine to after lowering it, said I was in the "green" as far as negative camber but JUST BARELY and they should have said get an adjustable bushing because it ate my tires away in just 3000 mi.

Don't hesitate........get the 70.00 rear bushing kit and get it done right!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Do it. I put the SRT suspension on my R/T and I have staggered wheels. I ran through a set of Nitto Invos in about 15k miles with about -2.5 camber. I put in the adjustable bushings and took it to -1.

I'm sure the blower helped eat them up a bit but it was way out of whack.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Do it. I put the SRT suspension on my R/T and I have staggered wheels. I ran through a set of Nitto Invos in about 15k miles with about -2.5 camber. I put in the adjustable bushings and took it to -1.

I'm sure the blower helped eat them up a bit but it was way out of whack.
I agree that its a good idea to get the bushings, but your alignment guy couldn't do any better than -2.5 camber? With SRT suspension you should be able to get pretty darn close to the green if not well within it.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I have H&R's, which is a bigger drop, and though I can see negative camber there is no unusual tire wear after 5K miles. I don't have a camber kit.
Same here. I'm probably at 6.5k miles after Mopar Stage 1 install (13k total) and no unusual wear on the F1s and I haven't installed my camber kit yet.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Iv been running eibach pro kit on an RT for over 3 years no camber kit and have had not a single issue with tires wearing improper 20x81/2 front and 22x101/2 rear

·
Registered
137 Posts
I agree that its a good idea to get the bushings, but your alignment guy couldn't do any better than -2.5 camber? With SRT suspension you should be able to get pretty darn close to the green if not well within it.
When I first put the suspension on, the dealership couldn't get it aligned close to spec. I don't recall how far off it was and I hadn't put the staggered wheels on yet.

brought it in a few months ago to the shop I've been using because the camber was very, very visibly off. They said the best they could do would be about -1.75 without the bushings and I wanted it -1.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts