Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a comp 270 cam installed back in July. I waited a few months to post so I could really get to know the car and how it changed. Happy to say its been a perfect transformation in performance. Its now making 520wrhp and 475tq. Mods include CAI, Cat-back exhaust, 270 cam and springs and dyne-tuned using diablo sport software.

I took it to the track and came home disappointed. (First time racing go easy on me) I ran my best pass in a 13.00 1/4 mile @ 125mph. My 60' was absolutely killing me. Best I got was a 2.5 60'. I blame the street tires and zero track prep but I need to work on my launch as well- that is probably the biggest factor. I made only 5 passes and I could not hook up at all. The silver lining is the 125mph trap speed. I hope DRs and a more practice will put me in good shape.

Cheers,

PK

Attachments

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Wow - that is a crazy high trap speed for only 520 at the wheels! Bet that car is fun to drive!!! :)

Were all your runs giving you the same trap speed?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow - that is a crazy high trap speed for only 520 at the wheels! Bet that car is fun to drive!!! :)

Were all your runs giving you the same trap speed?
Its a blast to drive! I'm ear to ear everytime I get into it.

From what I remember the trap speed was fairly consistent all 5 times. Ill have to look at the slips.

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger RT
1,066 Posts
At 3000 RPM you are down at 250 hp. Along with the DRs, consider a 3000 stall converter because you are probably a dog off the line.

I picked up .7 in the 1/4 adding a converter and my 60's were 2.3 with street tires, then 1.95 with DRs and then, after the converter, they are 1.6x.

Your trap is incredible.. we just need to boot your a$$ off the line faster. ;-)

Reactions: c26bt34c

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 100WHP gain and 125 MPH trap speeds seem to add up. Where ya located? Must have some killer DA and weather!>:)
Im in Southern Maryland and ran at Maryland International Raceway. I don't fully understand DA but everyone I talked to told me I picked a hell of a day to run for the first time because the DA was perfect. I was told the higher the DA the higher the ET. Is that right?? Must have been low that day lol

At 3000 RPM you are down at 250 hp. Along with the DRs, consider a 3000 stall converter because you are probably a dog off the line.

I picked up .7 in the 1/4 adding a converter and my 60's were 2.3 with street tires, then 1.95 with DRs and then, after the converter, they are 1.6x.

Your trap is incredible.. we just need to boot your a$$ off the line faster. ;-)
Can a converter be installed on a manual? Sorry for the ignorance I do not know much about stall converters. About to do a little google search now lol You're absolutely right - From a dig I fall right on my face.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I had a comp 270 cam installed back in July. I waited a few months to post so I could really get to know the car and how it changed. Happy to say its been a perfect transformation in performance. Its now making 520wrhp and 475tq. Mods include CAI, Cat-back exhaust, 270 cam and springs and dyne-tuned using diablo sport software.

I took it to the track and came home disappointed. (First time racing go easy on me) I ran my best pass in a 13.00 1/4 mile @ 125mph. My 60' was absolutely killing me. Best I got was a 2.5 60'. I blame the street tires and zero track prep but I need to work on my launch as well- that is probably the biggest factor. I made only 5 passes and I could not hook up at all. The silver lining is the 125mph trap speed. I hope DRs and a more practice will put me in good shape.

Cheers,

PK
That's DTP tuned cars for you. Cars he tunes run Ape Shit!.lol MIR is our best track in Maryland and the DA was probably zero or in the negative.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Im in Southern Maryland and ran at Maryland International Raceway. I don't fully understand DA but everyone I talked to told me I picked a hell of a day to run for the first time because the DA was perfect. I was told the higher the DA the higher the ET. Is that right?? Must have been low that day lol

DA is a calculation to determine air density. The more dense the air is the more power you can make. The calculation takes in effect altitude, humidity, and temperature. The lower DA you have the more power you will make.

Can a converter be installed on a manual? Sorry for the ignorance I do not know much about stall converters. About to do a little google search now lol You're absolutely right - From a dig I fall right on my face.
No, a stall converter is only for an automatic.

Reactions: TurdFerguson

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's DTP tuned cars for you. Cars he tunes run Ape Shit!.lol MIR is our best track in Maryland and the DA was probably zero or in the negative.
I can't say enough about DTP Racing and Brent Hughes! Fun to work with and produce great results!

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger RT
1,066 Posts

Ah, sorry, I didn't realize it was a manual. Hey.. dump that clutch lol

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Turd, How much of that was the cam and how much was the other mods?
I wish I could tell you but idk. I bought the car used and it had the cat-back already. I installed the CAI and I wouldn't say there was a significant gain from that. Like I said - Nobody was more surprised than me with the horsepower it was able to make off of a cam and a couple of bolt-ons. HUGE change after the cam though lol

·
Registered
329 Posts
Haha np, Im going to have to figure something out! I need practice in launching all together. DRs are coming soon though
DR's are hard for us stick shift guys to run. A full blown slick will be much nicer to your driveline. When you get nasty wheelhop with a DR, things tend to break real quick.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DR's are hard for us stick shift guys to run. A full blown slick will be much nicer to your driveline. When you get nasty wheelhop with a DR, things tend to break real quick.
Good to know. Again I'm a total noobie when it comes to drag racing at a track. I had one pass that I had such bad wheel hop that I basically had to abort and just coast a 17 second 1/4 lol embarrassing.. Whats funny is I have have used the zero to 60 timer on the dash and got 3.5 seconds! I think I was so nervous at the track that I just butchered it lol

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Congrats on the Cam install. That is the biggest gain I have ever seen with the 270 Comp Cam. Hard to get those gains with the 274. Can you post the time slips to figure out your overall run in the 1/4?

1 - 20 of 285 Posts