Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve been modding this car since the first day I got it, some is for show and some is for performance. The 5.7 is fun to drive but around 5200 RPM they start wheezing and running out of steam. I wanted more performance across the power band and a stronger top end. Performance mods to date included JBA shorties, Jay Greene Racing Tune, CAI and 190 Degree Thermostat.

The headers and the tune made a noticeable difference but no tune or header will overcome a mild cam. I wanted more. I started looking around and saw that Jay Green Racing had lots of Hemi tuning and cam experience with a good track record of improving performance on the 5.7.
After a few back and forths where he asked what I was looking for we decided on a Greene Racing 1.5 HL V2 cam and modified tune. His cam kit comes with PAC Racing springs, Comp Cams shims, locators, hardened pushrods and retainers. Done and ordered...

Installing the cam wasn’t too difficult it’s just time consuming, I was very careful to get the cam timing spot on and replaced the guide and tensioner at the same time. What was harder was the valve springs, there is not a whole lot of room to get the valve covers off and back on. Plus just getting your fingers in there to get the keepers off and then back on was really tight, I got good and doing that by feel. My car is a 6m, so I didn’t have to do lifters.

Well the cam is in, the first round of tuning is done and the car pulls hard all the way to a raised redline of 6400 RPM. It’s so much more fun to drive and the Hemi Tick is gone... I have a before dyno pull where it hit 353 HP and 391 ft lbs. of torque. I have a follow up dyno day coming up in a month.

It’s worth it, Jay was easy to work with and I would recommend him to anyone

Pat

Attachments

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
371 Posts
Nice work, OP. Do you have some prior experience doing engine work like that, or did you just follow the FSM or a detailed thread?

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice work, OP. Do you have some prior experience doing engine work like that, or did you just follow the FSM or a detailed thread?
I used to be a tech years ago. There are lots of good information sources out there how to do the job. Threads on this and other forums plus online videos and images. I also used the service manual but you dont really need it because the other sources are good enough. If you have mechanical ability you could do the job yourself

·
Registered
2016 Challenger 5.7 6-speed
103 Posts
Very interested on your outcome. I am also interested in jay greenes cam setup. You are number 3 that I have read with his cam. You have the same setup as me minus the cam. Can't wait to see results

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very interested on your outcome. I am also interested in jay greenes cam setup. You are number 3 that I have read with his cam. You have the same setup as me minus the cam. Can't wait to see results
Jay has been really good about tuning the car after the cam install, we are on the third revision. He say's its close and just wants to be thorough.

No regrets doing this mod, more power and more fun. I'll post the dyno numbers once I get it done. I'm part of a car club and we are doing a dyno day event but the event hasnt been scheduled yet.

·
Registered
876 Posts
With respect to the cam install and Jay Greene, I would like to ask you a few questions. First off, did you have to use the Phase limiter to install his cam. I have a M6 as well, so I will not have to swap lifters but curious to know how long it took you? Also does Jay use HP tuners, or Diablo to help with the tuning? Lastly how is normal drivability? I'll have many of the same upgrades you do, Factory shorties, Corsa Catback, K&N CAI, and I'm also running N20 on a 93 Diablo tune, along with a 180 Tstat. Thanks for looking at my questions, I'm looking forward to working with Jay here soon.

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With respect to the cam install and Jay Greene, I would like to ask you a few questions. First off, did you have to use the Phase limiter to install his cam. I have a M6 as well, so I will not have to swap lifters but curious to know how long it took you? Also does Jay use HP tuners, or Diablo to help with the tuning? Lastly how is normal drivability? I'll have many of the same upgrades you do, Factory shorties, Corsa Catback, K&M CAI, and I'm also running N20 on a 93 Diablo tune, along with a 180 Tstat. Thanks for looking at my questions, I'm looking forward to working with Jay here soon.

Hi
No phase limiter was needed, and the work took about 16-18 hours but I wasn't working too hard at it and I didn't use air tools. I'm using a Diablo tuner, Intune DCX . I don't know if he uses HP tuners or not. The drivability is excellent. Slightly rougher idle, but more torque across the power band and notable top end improvement with a higher redline. I should have my car back on the dyno by mid August to get a real picture of power increase.

Let me know if you have anymore questions

·
Registered
876 Posts
Thanks a bunch for everything. I was able to get in touch with Jay Greene last night. I'm going to get a cam package from him here shortly, and I may get the initial tune dialed in by him as well.

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger RT
1,066 Posts
Jay's cams won't hit peak hp records but what they do is get your torque up and hold onto it for a lot longer than most. As a result, you get a nice powerband. With the mods you already have, you are a set of DRs, good DA and launch practice away from getting very close to the 11s.

I had my car for 1 year and 1 month before hitting my pb of [email protected] with one of Jay's cams. It took me a little longer to figure the hemi tuning out and I ran into issues with my wideband, then traction or I think I could have had an 11 sec slip.

You can hear that I hit the limiter on the 1-2 shift on my PB run or I think I may have had it.

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a dyno run from a year ago, I'm doing another hopefully in the next month or two. The only changes between will be Jay's cam and tune. I'm really curios to see how much more power it makes.

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So, here is the after dyno run, same dyno, same fuel, same time of day and similar conditions

The best baseline run was 353 HP and 391 Torque

With the cam the best was 389 HP and 385 Torque

So Torque dropped slightly but HP picked up by over 10 percent

Attachments

·
Registered
876 Posts
Not bad at all for the power pickup..... .Also the being down slightly on Max torque isn't that big of a deal, especially if there is more usable torque in the power band.

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I need to post the video, it sounded AWESOME

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
366 Posts
Here's the Dyno run, post cam

https://youtu.be/SXCE7jVsRL8
Very nice!

I may have to really look into this for my Wife’s R/T as it’s a 6 speed car coming up on 70K on the odo.
It already has long tubes on it,and that cam set up may be just the ticket to give me a reason to toss the new chain and tensioner I bought when the initial fear of the auto’s coming apart was a big thing.I had picked up 2 sets just with the thought that the manual may be in borrowed time albeit later down the line.

Nice gains for sure,and out of curiousity,do you need dyno pulls for logs for Jay,or can it be done just doing logs on the street?

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Very nice!

I may have to really look into this for my Wife’s R/T as it’s a 6 speed car coming up on 70K on the odo.
It already has long tubes on it,and that cam set up may be just the ticket to give me a reason to toss the new chain and tensioner I bought when the initial fear of the auto’s coming apart was a big thing.I had picked up 2 sets just with the thought that the manual may be in borrowed time albeit later down the line.

Nice gains for sure,and out of curiousity,do you need dyno pulls for logs for Jay,or can it be done just doing logs on the street?

Thanks, I've been doing logging on the street for Jay, its been through 4 revisions and he's been very easy to work this. They dyno was a club event and I wanted to see what the power difference was.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I know it's been a while, but how are you view the logs you are sending to Jay, or is Jay just viewing them with his software

·
Registered
2016 Challenger 5.7 6-speed
103 Posts
Awesome results. I really want to do a cam swap. Just gonna have to jump the gun and do it. 40 hp increase and the powerband looks good on the dyno run.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts