Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 14 Rt auto and Im trying to get some good info on camshafts and how they would affect my emissions. First I know that for performance that I would like a comp cam (not sure which one yet) but im being told that the cam swap would cause my car to fail emissions test. Now fortunately I live in Georgia where the rules are not as strict but I do live in one of the counties that require emissions testing. I know that Georgia only does the "ready test" and visual of the cat but they do not do the "sniff test". I just want to make sure that the camshaft and tune will not affect any of the OBD stuff. If it does will those who have made the 392 cam swap be able to tell me if that cam has any issues even though it is a lot more "tamed"?

My overall goal with the car is to get around 400-420 at the wheels and im fine with that. Im not looking to go all out as this is my first V8 performance type car and Im on the younger side so i know there will be more to come. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So im guessing it does affect the tailpipe emissions but since GA does not do that test then im fine is what im assuming you are saying. Is that right? Also as far reliability goes all I have heard that the Comp Cam is the way to go but are they causing any know issues? And also what is the difference in those and custom grinds? Im trying to get as much info on this before I start making orders. I really would like to stay NA....the thought of supercharging isnt really the route I want to go. And to those who will say get an SRT well thats not a valid route for me as I well be looking into buying houses and things like that when this car is paid off.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Installing a new camshaft isn't a simple or cheap process, so I'd invest in considerable research before gambling on a camshaft that may or may not work for your application. Daily driver? Manual or Auto? Is mileage important to you? What mods, if any, are in now or will be in?

Get the exact emissions parameters for your State and then speak with professional engine builders who ask a lot of questions before they do anything. A race only engine is now much easier to engineer than a daily driver that has to work with programming and other vehicle systems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks i know its not cheap....Normally i would not have this question its just that i just moved to this area since living in an area that could care less about testing. It is my daily and it is auto. Of course the usual mods will be on the car such as exhaust and headers other than that Im expecting for this to be the first internal mod to the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts