Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchase a Barton shifter for my 2015 Challenger SRT but my wife asked this question “can this Barton cause any problems in the future?”. I am not mechanic and I guess my wife saw a note included in the package from Barton that Barton is not responsible for any damage this or one may cause. So will I be shortening the life of my challenger or cause any future problems by changing the shifter?

Is the installation something that a professional needs to do or can anyone with basic to no mechanical skills do it?

Appreciate the help.

·
Premium Member
9,659 Posts
It’s far better built than the stock shifter so I’d say no plus if there was a downside with the number of them sold those reviews would be all over the forums.
Watch the videos of how to install it, I’d say most people can do it themselves but if you do try it make sure you do it earlier during the day when they are open so if you need any questions answered they are open to answer them.

Reactions: ibideb

·
Registered
47 Posts
Easy DIY. There's even a video on You tube to walk you through it step by step. Plan on an hour if you're taking beer breaks.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
Yes as it makes you want to shift more often...which means you will go thru the gears quicker...next thing you know you are doing 92mph in a school zone. You are then spotted by a local constable who pulls you over, arrests you and impounds your vehicle. The impound it is taken to manages to scratch the paint on the passenger side door down to metal. Meanwhile, you spend the night in jail because the wife told you not to buy the barton as no good can come from it. You miss a day of work, and an important day as you are supposed to pitch a slogan for a new energy drink being funded by John Cena. Your firm losses the account which was going to turn things around for the company. You are fired but can't find work, meanwhile the bills are piling up to the point you have to sell the challenger. Several years pass and you finally recover financially and decide to by another challenger. This time you find a hellcat on the cheap. You buy it and on the way home you hammer the throttle....next thing you know you are doing 113mph in a school zone. As fate would have it you are spotted by the same constable....:weed:

·
Registered
185 Posts
This is a mod I’d love to do but am worried about warranty issues. I thought about talking to Luke at Steve White about it until reading some of the reports of FCA denying warranty transmission claims because of it.

Reactions: ibideb

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Yes as it makes you want to shift more often...which means you will go thru the gears quicker...next thing you know you are doing 92mph in a school zone. You are then spotted by a local constable who pulls you over, arrests you and impounds your vehicle. The impound it is taken to manages to scratch the paint on the passenger side door down to metal. Meanwhile, you spend the night in jail because the wife told you not to buy the barton as no good can come from it. You miss a day of work, and an important day as you are supposed to pitch a slogan for a new energy drink being funded by John Cena. Your firm losses the account which was going to turn things around for the company. You are fired but can't find work, meanwhile the bills are piling up to the point you have to sell the challenger. Several years pass and you finally recover financially and decide to by another challenger. This time you find a hellcat on the cheap. You buy it and on the way home you hammer the throttle....next thing you know you are doing 113mph in a school zone. As fate would have it you are spotted by the same constable....:weed:
Well.......there is that.

·
Registered
47 Posts
nwobhm, per the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, Dodge would need proof that the shifter caused a transmission failure, and lets face it, it's not possible for a shifter to cause a transmission failure.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Spoke to Luke at Steve White and he indicated that it would not impact any of my warranties.

Have an appointment on Friday with him to have it installed! :smile:

nwobhm, per the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, Dodge would need proof that the shifter caused a transmission failure, and lets face it, it's not possible for a shifter to cause a transmission failure.

·
Vendor
12,554 Posts
shifter does not change the performance of the vehicle, simply improves the firmness of the shift....think of it this way, Mopar offers the Hurst shifter for sale, would be hard to deny warranty when FCA offers a replacement shifter themselves

by the way the Barton is by far the best shifter on the market.....only shifter good enough for Bigred

·
Vendor
12,554 Posts
for the million'th time, in the real world that's not what happens, the factory will declined warranty and its up to you to prove otherwise, good luck with that......

·
Premium Member
9,659 Posts
You should be a story writer. You were spot on in the wife comment area.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Good. Lord.

This thing is AMAZING. More to follow but a HUGE shout out to Luke and his entire crew at Steve White Auto!! Had me in and out in an hour and a half and were amazing to deal with as always!

Spoke to Luke at Steve White and he indicated that it would not impact any of my warranties.

Have an appointment on Friday with him to have it installed!

·
Registered
332 Posts
This is a mod I’d love to do but am worried about warranty issues. I thought about talking to Luke at Steve White about it until reading some of the reports of FCA denying warranty transmission claims because of it.
I am kind of on the fence about it....

Can you provide links to where your read of the warranty claim denials?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Also on the fence, not because of warranty but because I would like to see one in person first. My understanding is the Barton takes a little more effort to shift, but is more precise. I find the stock one needs minimal effort but is pretty sloppy.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Id rather wait until I’ve had more time with it to render a full review. But. What you have described is exactly it.

If I had to find a metaphor I’d say it’s the equivalent of pressing the sport button for the shifter.

I had very little to complain about with the stock ‘15 shifter but this is a whole other level of precision and performance. It does take more effort, i.e. the centering spring is stronger, but I find that a complete positive in regards to overall feel and precision.

I did a fair amount of travel today coming back from Steve White in Charlotte’s stop and go rush-hour traffic and it didn’t bother me a bit. YMMV.

Also on the fence, not because of warranty but because I would like to see one in person first. My understanding is the Barton takes a little more effort to shift, but is more precise. I find the stock one needs minimal effort but is pretty sloppy.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Are you aware of the extra effort needed or only if you think about it in a comparison? In other words, if you got into the car without knowing it had been swapped out, would you consider the Barton a bit "stiff" to shift without having the actual experience with the stock shifter as a comparison?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
Are you aware of the extra effort needed or only if you think about it in a comparison? In other words, if you got into the car without knowing it had been swapped out, would you consider the Barton a bit "stiff" to shift without having the actual experience with the stock shifter as a comparison?
I would say 5th and 6th require a little more effort but well worth the price of having precise shifts.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts