Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello i have a supercharged 2009 challenger srt 8 making 622hp i have been thinking to widen my rear tires to 295/40, my friend told me it would actually make me slower by increasing the rotational mass of wheel and tire is this true all i want is better traction so i can launch better also it is a six speed

·
Registered
301 Posts
Everything is a trade off. Yes, more weight will "slow the car down." But...if you aren't getting perfect traction with your current setup, and would get better traction and launch with the new, beefier wheels and tires...which outweighs the losses of the extra weight...then you'll have faster quarter times

·
Registered
402 Posts
Basically, you get faster ET, but slower trap speed. More traction, more weight, and more friction means that once you leave your car will have to deal with more, on the otherside you car can start harder because of the extra traction.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
hello i have a supercharged 2009 challenger srt 8 making 622hp i have been thinking to widen my rear tires to 295/40, ...
With 622 hp I would think traction would be more of an issue that the difference in rotational mass between a stock tire and a 295. I would think 600+ hp would have no issue turning a 295 tire.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will this car get into to high 11's or low 12's? Thinkin low 12's but could be wrong. Gonna have to throw some perfect shifts for the lower #'s. Let us know and way to represent.
not took it to the track yet but will soon.. i think with the nittos drag 275/40 i might have a chance getting it into the 11s

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everything is a trade off. Yes, more weight will "slow the car down." But...if you aren't getting perfect traction with your current setup, and would get better traction and launch with the new, beefier wheels and tires...which outweighs the losses of the extra weight...then you'll have faster quarter times
i am keeping the same wheel size though so any extra weight would come from tire only

·
Registered
331 Posts
i am keeping the same wheel size though so any extra weight would come from tire only
wheel size is one thing, material and strength are another. Just because wheel x weighs 20 lbs doesn't mean they all do.

Numbers are fabricated but will give you an idea.
Stock 20 " wheel is 32lbs
Custom 20"alum wheel 29lbs
Forged 20" wheel 28lbs
Cheap imitation 20"custom wheel 36lbs.

Be very careful if weight is something you are concerned about. You can save some weight by going custom which can offset a good portion of added weight by going to a wider wheel. You can also add a lot of extra weight when going to el cheapo walmart special custom wheel. And i use custom very loosely here. So shop around and be careful of your selection of wheels and tires.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
The issue with that much RWHP is traction. A good set of tires with 622HP and a 6 Speed should put you in the mid 11's ( with some practice ) One of our members with a 6 speed and under 600 turned 11.8 AS for weight take out the spare tire , run with 1/2 a tank of gas, remove the floor mats, what's in the glove box. While I am not and don't claim to know much about drag racing, from my experience S/C 581 RWHP my problem is TRACTION BIG TIME

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wheel size is one thing, material and strength are another. Just because wheel x weighs 20 lbs doesn't mean they all do.

Numbers are fabricated but will give you an idea.
Stock 20 " wheel is 32lbs
Custom 20"alum wheel 29lbs
Forged 20" wheel 28lbs
Cheap imitation 20"custom wheel 36lbs.

Be very careful if weight is something you are concerned about. You can save some weight by going custom which can offset a good portion of added weight by going to a wider wheel. You can also add a lot of extra weight when going to el cheapo walmart special custom wheel. And i use custom very loosely here. So shop around and be careful of your selection of wheels and tires.
what i meant to say is i am keeping the original srt 8 wheels just getting a bigger tire

·
Registered
446 Posts
vinny-

go for the bigger tire. The additional rotating mass isn't worth talking about. Unless you are an expert stick driver, launching for good 60ft times will be your biggest challenge. IF rotating mass is a true concern, get a set of bogarts or welds for the track.

To rwamsers point, I have NT05Rs on the stock alocas and can still spin them at will.

Rob

·
Registered
864 Posts
Man the extra weight on a slightly larger tire is so insignificant, dont even bother thinking about it. Dont worry about it, run with a 1/4 tank, and take all the junk out the trunk!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts