Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering moving up the food chain to a 2020/2021 Scat Pack. Not a fan of MDS (believe it doesn't promote longevity, shutting things on/off etc).

Understand later models computer is locked, dont want to replace computer with unlocked etc.

Anyone know if:
(1.) Is it technically possible for a dealership to program the MDS permanently off.
(2.) Would any dealership do this or would they all just bust your chops saying how much of great system MDS is now yada yada and could void your warranty.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Afraid wife will not be as diligent as me pushing it every time. Guess she cant drive it then! (said on the inside....... she is not on this forum anywhere is she?)

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I think you could set the default settings to sports right? I know I could tune how my settings are for my steering so I think you might be able to adjust the engine to sports also, might need to double check.

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
1) get it tuned and turned off when you buy it.
2) Tazer can put it in Sport Mode automatically
3) What Yellow Jacket said.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I don’t understand why the hate for MDS. Yes, it’s a sports car and it is technically dumb. But, 90% of roads you’re on are 40-45mph. I drive my car more in Eco than I do any other mode because I look like an idiot squealing my tires when I was trying to baby the throttle. Cruising at 45-50 is the same, you’re just using more gas the other way.

When I want to have fun I change modes, when I’m just driving somewhere i leave it in eco. The other day I thought i was cool putting in in sport mode until I hit a puddle after some rain and I slid sideways and almost crashed into a median.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I don’t understand why the hate for MDS. Yes, it’s a sports car and it is technically dumb. But, 90% of roads you’re on are 40-45mph. I drive my car more in Eco than I do any other mode because I look like an idiot squealing my tires when I was trying to baby the throttle. Cruising at 45-50 is the same, you’re just using more gas the other way.

When I want to have fun I change modes, when I’m just driving somewhere i leave it in eco. The other day I thought i was cool putting in in sport mode until I hit a puddle after some rain and I slid sideways and almost crashed into a median.
Sounds like you would have died instantly if you had to drive a car from the 60's or 70's without ABS,Traction control and other computer nanny's..... yes ,there was a time when the driver had to actually drive the car.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dont hate MDS just have read too much about lifter/roller issues in general on 5.7 / 6.4. Happens on MDS and non MDS though, nobody has rhyme or reason (lots of theories).

Know dodge made a lifter change (part number) that when into effect 2017ish but nobody knows what the change was I have ever found.

Some think possible bad metallurgy (needle bearings in the rollers), some think poor oiling getting to the rollers.

Just thinking keeping everything alive might be easier on the valvetrain.

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Hellraisin Shaker
484 Posts
...(2.) Would any dealership do this or would they all just bust your chops ...
Being for or against MDS is sort of like whether a person chooses D or R. Both sides of the debate are entrenched and unlikely to sway the opinions of the other side.

So.... I'll just point out that the MDS system allows the manufacturer to avoid the Gas Guzzler tax on these vehicles. If the dealership, as an agent of the manufacturer, was actively disabling the MDS system, then they would be effectively helping consumers avoid that tax. That would get real hairy in a big hurry.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Sounds like you would have died instantly if you had to drive a car from the 60's or 70's without ABS,Traction control and other computer nanny's..... yes ,there was a time when the driver had to actually drive the car.
Died? No i would have done what i did, got control of the car and kept driving. But, okay! Take your cane and pat yourself on the back you bad ass you!

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Hellraisin Shaker
484 Posts
Ha! It is not necessarily the driver of the vintage vehicle. It is the vintage equipment.

OTHER drivers are out there with all the fancy stuff - ABS, traction control, etc. If they brake hard or suddenly change lanes, the vintage drum brakes on the 50+ year old car may not be able to stop in time. Nor could the driver turn the large non-power steering wheel quick enough. Decades ago, everyone was the same way. So drivers thought "I need to give that other guy some space for stopping distance", etc. Now with everyone having technology assist them, it actually increases the risk and difficulty of operating vintage vehicles.

Drove a collector car from OR to MN and back two summers ago. Nearly got taken out three times over the 4400 miles by other drivers doing stupid things in front of me.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I think my Challenger had the MDS enabled only once. I wanted to hear it. Yeah, not a good sound. Guy down the street has a Ram Power Wagon and runs the MDS. It sounds rough when he's doing MDS.
Pass.
I'm okay with the A8 transmission. Good track record. I run it in manual mode 98-99% of the time. Keeps the MDS away and that hunting for a gear. Sport mode is good also, locks up that torque converter super quick and turns off traction control, stiffens the shocks.
Yeah, yeah I know manual would have been fine, but there were not hardly any Challengers with maximum steel color last year, ( which I think was its last year). I would have loved to have found a 'Widebody'.
But we found a Scat pack, with a 'Shaker',,,,, and 'driver convenience group' heated seats with heated steering wheel,
( for wifee) with no technology package that has that mind of its own interactive cruise control, no sunroof, & the NJ surcharge,,
Yeah I drove to NJ from Virginia (via Omaha) to pick it up and live with a automatic. I like A8, it shifts good!.
Its all good
best
parrott

·
Registered
9,579 Posts
Died? No i would have done what i did, got control of the car and kept driving. But, okay! Take your cane and pat yourself on the back you bad ass you!
Yikes, a bad ass without a cane!

Better slip back into ECO Mode. LMAO

·
Registered
619 Posts
As you did with the help of traction control....it's not badass to drive a car without nannies . nor is a cane needed...it's called driving..it's what your supposed to do.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Yikes, a bad ass without a cane!

Better slip back into ECO Mode. LMAO
You drive an R/T, LMAO!!! The scat pack in eco is probably still faster than your car.

·
Registered
9,579 Posts
You drive an R/T, LMAO!!! The scat pack in eco is probably still faster than your car.
I'll be nice. Open your eyes and read, before your mouth goes into gear. LMAO

·
Registered
976 Posts
As you did with the help of traction control....it's not badass to drive a car without nannies . nor is a cane needed...it's called driving..it's what your supposed to do.
What is your point? It’s 2020 not 1960, welcome to the present. Again, Eco is nice when you’re just cruising and if road conditions suck as the low torque can be an animal when the roads are wet. The car was in track mode and I was being an idiot mashing the gas around a corner with wet tires and it slid. What does this have to do with 1960? I’m pretty sure I could slide a 100hp civic around the road if it was wet.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,976 Posts

I see your point but I don't like MDS because I bought a V8 Musclecar, not a part time V8 Musclecar (which it is with MDS unless as stated, I put it in sport). Personally, I don't like how it sounds or how Ruby feels while driving in eco mode, but to each their own. Differences in opinion's are why car makers offer options (except the one to turn MDS off :D).

As far as you almost hitting the median, that blame sounds like it should fall mostly on the driver not the car. ;)

Being for or against MDS is sort of like whether a person chooses D or R. Both sides of the debate are entrenched and unlikely to sway the opinions of the other side.

So.... I'll just point out that the MDS system allows the manufacturer to avoid the Gas Guzzler tax on these vehicles. If the dealership, as an agent of the manufacturer, was actively disabling the MDS system, then they would be effectively helping consumers avoid that tax. That would get real hairy in a big hurry.
I'm pretty cheap and I'd have paid the gas guzzler tax if they'd have kept that off! Ruby sounds weird when she drops cylinders. I also agree that it seems like it's not doing the motor any favors and I wonder how it effects longevity.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts