Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2020 HellRaisin 1320
285 Posts
I just drive my auto in manual mode all the time, except when I go into Drag mode. I can't say if MDS is bad or good, but I do agree that I didn't buy a near 500 horsepower factory drag car to get good gas mileage. I too would of gladly paid the gas guzzler tax to not have it.

That said, where I do worry about it being bad is during the break-in period when the engine is new. From everything I've read about break-ins and what happens during this period, especially the first 200 miles, I can't imagine how shutting off 4 cylinders would be good for breaking-in. You have 4 cylinders getting the full force of combustion and the other 4 not getting any force at all other than that of the air in the cylinder being compressed. How could that be good???? At the very least I think they should have MDS disabled for the first 500 miles like they do Transbrake. But I'm not an engineer so I have no idea what I'm talking about either.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I see your point but I don't like MDS because I bought a V8 Musclecar, not a part time V8 Musclecar (which it is with MDS unless as stated, I put it in sport). Personally, I don't like how it sounds or how Ruby feels while driving in eco mode, but to each their own. Differences in opinion's are why car makers offer options (except the one to turn MDS off :D).

As far as you almost hitting the median, that blame sounds like it should fall mostly on the driver not the car. ;)

Oh I totally get why people don’t like it but we all know why they include it, the government. But like you said it’s easily turned off so I don’t get what the hate is for it? It’s easily disabled so you don’t have to use it but it can come in handy if it’s raining, snowing etc and you want to cut power to the wheels. I guess some have an aversion to to advent of technology in automobiles? The sissies of today just don’t compare to the manly men of yesteryear.

As for the other part 🤣🤣🤣 totally! I said sport earlier but it was in track lol and it had just rained and i was going around a corner and just hit the gas in the apex and the car did NOT like that 🤣 it slid, it over corrected (stability control I guess) and then I had to pull it back to straight. All in all it was like 1-2 seconds of chaos but the guy behind me didn’t even react to it lol. I laughed hysterically all the way home, my wife didn’t find it funny. As far as eco, I drive a lot for work in my work van, this week I had 1000 miles. When i get in my car, sometimes it’s just nice to cruise when I’m going down the street to the grocery store or Home Depot. Driving all week is stressful with the people I encounter so revving it high and squealing tires is the opposite of chilling out for me.

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
Serious question: Does my signature show up at the bottom of all my posts?

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
891 Posts
Man, this thread is going downhill fast.

Everybody tells me that Challengers attract a certain type of folks and I guess threads like this explain it.

To the OP, just get a Tazer and set default to Sport and every time it starts it will put it in Sport (or Track if you'd prefer) and that will pretty much disable MDS.

Now, whether or not MDS actually hurts stuff is quite debatable.

In 2016 the rollers got different bearings with less and larger needles. While there have been lifter failures, I'd say it's far from a pandemic and the majority of issues are from long idle times (taxi, police, and commercial vehicles). Or from using the wrong oil...

I drive my car in Eco at least 95% of the time. I daily drive it. Sometimes (not super often) I beat it pretty hard and it's gone a best of 11.7 and 117mph on drag radials. Just rolled 36k miles. No issues yet. I always use oil that meets the factory spec and change it every 3000-4000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
19,609 Posts
Enough! Posts deleted and a warning given. Any more of this crap and the thread goes too. It's one thing to have a difference in opinion without resorting to name calling. We play it fairly loose here, but we do have rules. We should all be adults here, let's make it a point to act like it please

A Guy

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
2,376 Posts
<opinion>
Drive it, enjoy it, don't worry about MDS. Hit sport if you want each time, no big deal, if someone else drives it and doesn't, again, no big deal.
If you aren't on a flat stretch of road it doesn't kick in much anyway. Personally I'll keep taking saving 10% on gas on trips. I am on my 4th HEMI, 2006 5.7 (100K), 2015 5.7(40K) 2012 5.7 (101K and climbing) and my 2018 6.4, never had any engine problems at all, change your oil as required and enjoy it.
</opinion>

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
614 Posts
I don’t understand why the hate for MDS. Yes, it’s a sports car and it is technically dumb. But, 90% of roads you’re on are 40-45mph. I drive my car more in Eco than I do any other mode because I look like an idiot squealing my tires when I was trying to baby the throttle. Cruising at 45-50 is the same, you’re just using more gas the other way.

When I want to have fun I change modes, when I’m just driving somewhere i leave it in eco. The other day I thought i was cool putting in in sport mode until I hit a puddle after some rain and I slid sideways and almost crashed into a median.
Yes! After all, It's a proven system with millions and millions of collective miles on the road. That's a lot of gas saved ... and that helps offset my other bad habits and bad carbon footprint. Perhaps I've reached an age where I don't "need" to do burnouts at every traffic light. (Notice that I said, "every.") Just make sure you're using the proper oil and change it on - or ahead of - schedule.

As for the folks driving their A8 Challengers and Chargers around town in "Manual" mode .... it just makes me smile. It comes across like Terry in American Graffiti trying to be one of the "cool" guys .... and just can't pull it off. Other than using AutoStick when needed - like up in the mountains - it just comes across as M6 envy. ..... Oh, I get it. I'm not saying I"ve never done it. There's a little "nerd" in all of us.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
2,376 Posts
Yes! After all, It's a proven system with millions and millions of collective miles on the road. That's a lot of gas saved ... and that helps offset my other bad habits and bad carbon footprint. Perhaps I've reached an age where I don't "need" to do burnouts at every traffic light. (Notice that I said, "every.") Just make sure you're using the proper oil and change it on - or ahead of - schedule.

As for the folks driving their A8 Challengers and Chargers around town in "Manual" mode .... it just makes me smile. It comes across like Terry in American Graffiti trying to be one of the "cool" guys .... and just can't pull it off. Other than using AutoStick when needed - like up in the mountains - it just comes across as M6 envy. ..... Oh, I get it. I'm not saying I"ve never done it. There's a little "nerd" in all of us.
I probably use manual mode more than most people that drive in Sport mode all the time. I absolutely love the experience, mainly downshifting. And I typically use the shifter, not the paddles, it is perfect with the only reverse pattern feel to it that I know of.
When I am first at the light I will typically bump it to 2nd so I can pull out quickly with less chance of squealing and looking like a dolt. And when I get on the twisties along side a creek or something, I LOVE manual mode. But when someone else is with me, or when just cruising, Auto/Normal all the time.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts