Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy an ATV for my g/f's son.

The one I'm interested in is about an hour away. Mostly highway.

I'm looking for feedback on how good/bad an Idea it might be to rent a hitch/trailer from U-Haul and use my SRT8 to haul it home.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
630 Posts
I think the odds of UHaul having a vehicle specific hitch for a Challenger are slim, but who knows.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are their trucks big enough to hold an ATV, I wonder?

And I just threw U-Haul out there...I'm sure I might have to look around to find the right hitch...

but that's a good point. Probably better to just rent the truck...

that said, I am still curious though...about people's thoughts on hauling something not too big, like an ATV, with this car...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree rent a truck or borrow one. The SRT is not rated for towing by the OEM. I would try another avenue to tow that home. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Personally, I'd rent/borrow a vehicle/trailer or if the ATV is being bought thru a dealer ask if they can deliver it.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Dude, are you for real?

What the hell dude? Turn in your "Man Card" is correct, how could you even consider such a question for this forum, respect your SRT............damn!

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Rent a truck and if need be a trailer too.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Man! you guys are ripping on this poor guy. If your only option is to use your SRT then yes you can do it and shouldnt have any problems as long as you dont drive like a nutt. The weight of an ATV and small trailer is nothing. As for the Uhaul place, they rent univeral hitches that attach to almost any frame. You shouldnt have a problem there either. Ive seen people pulling things a lot bigger than ATVs with tiny 4 cylinder toyotas. Would I do that? Absolutely not! But using your SRT shouldnt be much of an issue if youre talking 45-50 miles. My neighbor keeps his full dresser harley in an enclosed trailer. When he bought the trailer he picked it up about 500 miles away using his pontiac G something. Granted it was empty but this trailer probably weighted close to what a small open trailer weighs with an ATV in it. With all that said I would just go to your closest rent a car place, rent a full size truck for a day, borrow some ramps (or purchase and return), and go that route.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
The only hitch worthy of being installed is the Mopar hidden hitch, which is literally hidden while the draw bar is removed.

The manual says towing isn't recommended for the SRT8, the tow limit for the R/T auto is 1,000LB. You assume the risk by going against what the mfr recommends, I'd personally just rent a truck. It would be cheaper and quicker than buying a hitch, installing it, and renting a trailer. Truck rental is likely to be $50/day or less, MUCH cheaper than the purchase price of a hitch.

·
Registered
930 Posts
The car can DO it. Its not particularly good for it (especially a manual tranny, where first gear really isn't low enough for launching with extra weight so there'll be excess clutch slipping). A hitch will look awful on an SRT, also. That's forever.

For one-time getting it home I'd rent a truck, unless you plan to use it to move the ATV around again in the future.

If it were mine, out of warranty, I knew I'd need to move the ATV a few times a year, and I didn't mind the look of the hitch, I'd have no hesitation. I know I could tow such a light load without doing harm, I just wouldn't keep up with traffic nearly as well as a V6 powered Ram 1500 doing the same job would :)

·
Registered
601 Posts
You guys do know you can rent hitches from uhaul right? They have a couple of different universal ones and they bolt on to your frame in like 20 minutes. When you are done with it, they take it off. I dont think the OP is trying to permantly put a hitch on his SRT. I think he is just trying to find an easy way to get an ATV to his home. As for pulling that much weight, we are not talking a lot of weight here. Its not like he is pulling another car or a boat. It will definitely be under 1000lbs as long as he doesnt rent some super trailer. A single axle, open trailer. just big enough for an ATV is all he needs. Most ATVs will be about 300-500lbs and a trailer is going to weight 2-3 hundred max. If anything, I would be afraid of forgetting it was hooked up and taking off with it. The car isnt even going to notice it. In fact, id rather have the M6 than a Auto to do something like this. That way you can control the gears better.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Scratch my last post because I just looked up what uhaul trailers weigh. One that would fit an atv is pretty heavy. I still think an srt will have no problems but I would rather fork out the money and rent a truck. Heck you can probably even rent a small uhaul truck that's enclosed and drive the atv right in it without ramps. By the time you rent the trailer, hitch, and ball, plus time to install, and any worries you might have about the srt the truck route will be easier.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thank you to those that actually understood my question.

No, this is NOT a permanent plan. It is simply me trying to get an ATV I'm looking at on Craigslist back to my house.

Yes, U-Haul has universal hitches that come back off when you're done.

I had read that the R/T's can handle up to 1,000 lbs. I was just figuring, the SRT should be able to handle half that...curious what everyone thought.

"I don't recommend it" is a completely valid answer.

"Turn in your man card" is not. Not only is it not helpful, but it doesn't make any damned sense.

You're calling me a girl because ... and let me make sure I understand this correctly ... I want to use my 470hp w470ft/lb of torque muscle car to transport a 4x4 all terrain vehicle back home?

yep. Sounds SUPER girly to me. All the girlie stuff in there...Sport Car's...girly! Towing stuff...super girly. Powerful engines? MEGA girly, right? and worst of all...ATV's?...you're SOOO right...can't get any more GIRLY than that!

Whatever would I do without your helpful (and useful) input.

Now excuse me while i go paint my nails...

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It does sound like renting a truck would be a much smarter move.

Thanks to all those who provided useful input.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Sounds like someone needs to change their tampon as well (right after turning in their man card for suggesting putting a hitch on an SRT8).

1 - 20 of 43 Posts