Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I saw this Core 392 SRT Challenger option pack, and it seems like a good way to get the big engine without most of the other BS that Chrysler insists on putting on the car with it to jack the price up. I'm fine with cloth seats and no adjustable - fancy - whatever suspension, it's not needed.

But I don't like the blacked out 392 emblems, I don't like the blacked out brake calipers, I don't like the blacked out wheels, and I don't like whatever other blacked out items the Core has that the regular SRT doesn't. I think part of the grille is blacked out too?

So can I get a Core 392 and have the dealer swap the blacked out items to regular 392 SRT pieces? Now that would make it a good deal.:thumbsup:

What is this whole "blacked out" BS concept anyhow? A cheap way for car designers to make it look different while doing minimal work?

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
I've seen Cores with...

Vapor Chrome wheels. I have them...and they look great IMO (depending on the lighting--they can appear almost chrome, to silver/grey, to gloss black).

You can paint the Brembos red, and add 392 badges to replace the 392 stickers (I'd put them on the cowl where they belong). Other than that, they look the same to me.

Reactions: RYGLaunch

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
So do you want to save $6000 ?

First off, the "392" decal is just that, if you don't like it (don't blame you) you just order the ones you like, as for the calipers which by the way I don't care for the black either, get them powder coated in the color you like.
The cloth seats (same as in all Vipers) are really nice seats, the fog lights can be purchased at a much lower price that what Dodge charges and they are MoPar for under 200 bucks.
The point is that when you get a Core, you save almost $6,000.00 I know because that is what I saved on my 2014, and I can do alot of upgrades for that kind of cash, change/upgrade to your taste.

Just saying..................

·
Registered
726 Posts
I saw this Core 392 SRT Challenger option pack, and it seems like a good way to get the big engine without most of the other BS that Chrysler insists on putting on the car with it to jack the price up. I'm fine with cloth seats and no adjustable - fancy - whatever suspension, it's not needed.

But I don't like the blacked out 392 emblems, I don't like the blacked out brake calipers, I don't like the blacked out wheels, and I don't like whatever other blacked out items the Core has that the regular SRT doesn't. I think part of the grille is blacked out too?

So can I get a Core 392 and have the dealer swap the blacked out items to regular 392 SRT pieces? Now that would make it a good deal.:thumbsup:

What is this whole "blacked out" BS concept anyhow? A cheap way for car designers to make it look different while doing minimal work?[/QUOTE

The core was the mule for the 392 R/T for 2015. Dodge put it out there and made it a basic cheap car to see if it would sell, 2013 you couldn't get any options except the black vapor wheels, in 2014 they added options to the list like an upgraded sound system and u connect which brought the prices up. 2013 prices got the R/T buyer into the bigger motor and another price catagory, the 2014 got the high end R/T buyer leaning toward the SRT into it now that some options were available and now that SRT has been consumed by Dodge it's going to take the SRT people down to a loaded 392 Scat pack R/T that won't have the suspension, Brembo brakes and who knows what else will be missing and at a price that probably be higher than the SRT. I also don't ever think you will see this so called Hellcat, I think it will be an engine option on the high end R/T which would actually be cool and like the old days except it will probably be a 12,000+ option because thats where the suspension, brembo's heavy duty axles etc are going to come in if you want them. I knew something was up when they came out with this glorified R/T they called a Core SRT in 2013 and it looked to work to Chryslers advantage.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Actually, you get Brembos with SCAT 6.4 RT...

[QUOTE
The core was the mule for the 392 R/T for 2015. Dodge put it out there and made it a basic cheap car to see if it would sell, 2013 you couldn't get any options except the black vapor wheels, in 2014 they added options to the list like an upgraded sound system and u connect which brought the prices up. 2013 prices got the R/T buyer into the bigger motor and another price catagory, the 2014 got the high end R/T buyer leaning toward the SRT into it now that some options were available and now that SRT has been consumed by Dodge it's going to take the SRT people down to a loaded 392 Scat pack R/T that won't have the suspension, Brembo brakes and who knows what else will be missing and at a price that probably be higher than the SRT. I also don't ever think you will see this so called Hellcat, I think it will be an engine option on the high end R/T which would actually be cool and like the old days except it will probably be a 12,000+ option because thats where the suspension, brembo's heavy duty axles etc are going to pop up.[/QUOTE]

In fact, the only thing you DO NOT get is adaptive suspension (which I LIKE very much). Perhaps it will be an option.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
I doubt the dealer would swap out a thing. When I bought my YJ, I was looking at an orange SRT. It had the Alcoa wheels on it. I asked if they could be swapped for the wheels with black pockets. Sure they would do it so long as I paid for the new wheels...scratch that idea...welcome YJ.

I guess the only way to find out for sure if a dealer would swap parts would be to ask. Swapping some of the cosmetic trim would be fairly simple but if you pay out of pocket, get ready for some sticker shock. Chrysler is awful "proud" of their "jewelry".

·
Registered
2012 challenger srt
1,951 Posts
First off, the "392" decal is just that, if you don't like it (don't blame you) you just order the ones you like, as for the calipers which by the way I don't care for the black either, get them powder coated in the color you like.
The cloth seats (same as in all Vipers) are really nice seats, the fog lights can be purchased at a much lower price that what Dodge charges and they are MoPar for under 200 bucks.
The point is that when you get a Core, you save almost $6,000.00 I know because that is what I saved on my 2014, and I can do alot of upgrades for that kind of cash, change/upgrade to your taste.

Just saying..................
Remember the fog lights cost $200 you will need to change out the headlight switch because thats what turns the fog lights on and hope the wiring is the same. There wont be any wiring going to the fog lights ect. Adding after the fact will never save you money.

·
Registered
16,068 Posts
The black out fits with the all business no flash image that the Core is all about. I like the Core just the way it is but you can add stripes and emblems as you wish. The 392 decals are simple, just peel them off. I doubt a dealer would fool with brake calipers, just paint them yourself. The grille surround can be swapped to a bright one and wheels are no problem either. Also, have to find one on a dealer lot as the Core is out of production and likely never coming back.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
2013 Core SRT8 Bright White, Vapor chrome wheels, burlap cloth seats, Black Brembos, 6M, added - 392 badges, fog lights, Zoomers exhaust, skip shift eliminator.

Attachments

Reactions: Slidd

·
Registered
30 Posts
2013 Core SRT8 Bright White, Vapor chrome wheels, burlap cloth seats, Black Brembos, 6M, added - 392 badges, fog lights, Zoomers exhaust, skip shift eliminator.
Ryglaunch we need to get you with someone that has a good camera.. that car looks good!...just not in that picture lol.:redcap:

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
"SRT consumed by Dodge". What does that mean? No more SRT vehicles, the high end Challenger will be an R/T? Fine with me.

I don't need or want all the fancy BS Chrysler loves to add in their "option packages" to jack the price. Give me a base model Challenger with the 392, its 5 speed automatic transmission, and the big 226 mm rear end. That's all I need. I don't want a sunroof, I don't want anything beyond the base model radio, I don't want leather anything, I don't want heated seats, I don't want whatever built-in GPS they have, I don't want fog lights, I don't want adaptive suspension, I don't want any of this blacked-out bullshit that is on the Core 392, I don't even want the chrome pedal dress-up packages. All it does is cost me money and doesn't make the car any faster.:huh:

I really even don't want 20 inch wheels, I think the base model 18 inch 5 spoke wheels look the best. If I had to go with 20 inch wheels I'd take the 5 spoke Alcoa wheels.

They need to make a Challenger R/T that is what the 1968 Hemi Road Runner was. Cheap car, big engine (392), done. Simple.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT Core
553 Posts
The calipers are black to set it apart fron the regulat SRT,bigger brakes need bigger wheels,your not going to get the HP if you don't get the brakes to stop it.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Remember the fog lights cost $200 you will need to change out the headlight switch because thats what turns the fog lights on and hope the wiring is the same. There wont be any wiring going to the fog lights ect. Adding after the fact will never save you money.
The MoPar kit comes with the switch!

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Sounds like what you really want is a Camaro.

It comes with sick-bag holders included.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Sounds like what you really want is a Camaro.

It comes with sick-bag holders included.
I was thinking the same damn thing to tell this guy!!!!!!!:bigthumb:
Why the animosity? I understand what he is looking for as its the exact same thing I will be in the market for. Style is nice, but I am buying a "muscle car" not a style/luxury car...I hope the 392 is a simple checkbox option on the rt when I am ready to order one...if so give me a base RT with the 392 and the super track pack and brembos, I like the 6speed but the auto will be faster, so I will likely go with it. All decals other than the grill and deck lid ones will be removed before it leaves the dealer lot, as I am personally not a fan of hood or fender badges.

IMO the 392 should be the base RT engine, skip the current V8 and go ahead and smack the current mustang 5.0 and camaro ss in the mouth...they should be able to do that and keep the sticker at or under 35k with upgraded brakes to slow it down.

·
Premium Member
N/A
1,814 Posts
Chormer

"The core was the mule for the 392 R/T for 2015. Dodge put it out there and made it a basic cheap car to see if it would sell, 2013 you couldn't get any options except the black vapor wheels, .[/QUOTE]

That's not quite true there were about 10 Options for the 2013 Core see PDF the only 2 I did not get is engine block heater and rear park sensor. My 2013 SRT8 Core is 1 of 5 with those optitions

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
"That's not quite true there were about 10 Options for the 2013 Core see PDF the only 2 I did not get is engine block heater and rear park sensor. My 2013 SRT8 Core is 1 of 5 with those options." [/QUOTE]

That checks. Mine has most of the options except for the sunroof and the vapor wheels. It seems like there have been quite of few people talking out of there derrière about what the cores come with without actually looking at a spec list. I just wish I could have unchecked the gas guzzler tax option.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Why the animosity? I understand what he is looking for as its the exact same thing I will be in the market for. Style is nice, but I am buying a "muscle car" not a style/luxury car...I hope the 392 is a simple checkbox option on the rt when I am ready to order one...if so give me a base RT with the 392 and the super track pack and brembos, I like the 6speed but the auto will be faster, so I will likely go with it. All decals other than the grill and deck lid ones will be removed before it leaves the dealer lot, as I am personally not a fan of hood or fender badges.

IMO the 392 should be the base RT engine, skip the current V8 and go ahead and smack the current mustang 5.0 and camaro ss in the mouth...they should be able to do that and keep the sticker at or under 35k with upgraded brakes to slow it down.
No animosity at all. But spec-ing a model so primitively makes little business sense.

In the past, American OEMs used to literally give away horsepower. This strategy used to make sense when gasoline cost 35 cents a gallon. But in today's world, the underlying assumption is that if you want to go fast, you are going to burn a lot of precious gas and you need to have the economic means: the higher the power, the higher the cost of ownership, and the more money needed to own one, insure it and run it. And with that, you get higher customer expectations.

If you want a stripped 500hp muscle car it makes no sense to buy it new. Just buy a used SRT and take all the stuff you don't want out, and you got what you were looking for at the price you are looking for.

Or get a Camaro :D

·
Registered
212 Posts
No animosity at all. But spec-ing a model so primitively makes little business sense.

In the past, American OEMs used to literally give away horsepower. This strategy used to make sense when gasoline cost 35 cents a gallon. But in today's world, the underlying assumption is that if you want to go fast, you are going to burn a lot of precious gas and you need to have the economic means: the higher the power, the higher the cost of ownership, and the more money needed to own one, insure it and run it. And with that, you get higher customer expectations.

If you want a stripped 500hp muscle car it makes no sense to buy it new. Just buy a used SRT and take all the stuff you don't want out, and you got what you were looking for at the price you are looking for.

Or get a Camaro :D
I understand what you are saying, however just as you pointed out (in jest I know) I can walk into a local dealership and buy a 420hp ford mustang for 28k, or a 426hp Chevy camaro for 32k. Why does it make little business sense for dodge, but gm and ford obviously see the sense in it? yes you can get a 375hp RT for about the same price as the mustang, but you are what 300lbs heavier and at a 45hp disadvantage? Seems like dodge would take this opportunity to "step up to the plate" and offer the 485hp 392 in an "entry level" r/t trim (like the mustang offers the gt in a normal and "premium" trim level, and the camaro does 1ss and 2ss...same driveline, just more creature comforts in the high end one) price it competitively (they should be able to hit 32k easily unless they insist on including the stp and brembos that should bump it to a hair under 34) with the other two "base" muscle cars and be king of the hill for a few years. Let ford and gm play catch up to dodge instead of the other way around.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts