Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious if I can install 12 or 15 thousand kelvin HID bulbs in my existing HID bulbs without having to upgrade wiring or messing around with capacitors and new ballasts. I thought I'd ask before I bought them.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I did the HID's in my bike and Truck. The brightest halogen bulbs, K wise, were around 4500k. Silvainia Silverstars
The HID's on most cars and trucks are 6000 k. This is the HID on most BMW's and Acura's.
Sorry, but you need the ballast and the igniter.
They may use only 4 to 8 watts compaired to 50 or 100 of normal halogen's and that's where the ballast comes in. The igniter gives it a quick blast to get them going. Once going they run cooler. On a 2 light system, the bulb actually moves 1/4" back and forth to hit the reflector differently to give it the hi beam/ low beam. Not unlike a 2 filment bulb.

The higher the K, the different the color looks. Not sure I've seen 15000 k? 12k is almost purple. 8-9 is like a faint yellow.
So in short, when you run true HID's, you need the ballast and igniter. Installed will run you between $350 to $500 installed and tax in depending where you live.

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,918 Posts
I'm just curious if I can install 12 or 15 thousand kelvin HID bulbs in my existing HID bulbs without having to upgrade wiring or messing around with capacitors and new ballasts. I thought I'd ask before I bought them.
I upgraded mine to the 10k with the factory hids no problems contact BFXenon a supporting vendor on the forum he can answer any of your questions the factory hids are rated at 4300k

·
Registered
552 Posts
Yes, I would recommend matching the fog lights to the headlights. The headlight upgrade is a very easy bulb swap - D1S. Just bulb replacements... no ballasts, antiflicker kit, or other wiring accessories. Just the D1S replacement element. If you want to order D1S 12K, it is not available on our site, but we do have some in stock...

The fog lights are H10 / 9145.

Thanks for the inquire!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yes you can. But why would you want to? Stock in any car that comes from the factory is 43-4500K FWIW. This is because it is the brightest, and bluest with out sacrificing light output.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts