Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I need to change my transmission fluid and I really want to run this brand of fluid:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mtl-103221?seid=srese1&gclid=CLvD8PHphb4CFWcS7AodjB8A7A

Is it alright to run? Also, I know that the transmission and brakes share the same fluid, is it the ATF or is it something else? I overheated the transmission/brakes a while ago and need to change out the fluid so I really want to know if this would work, also I'm curious to see if this would help with the notchy feeling in the transmission when it's cold.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Ok so I need to change my transmission fluid and I really want to run this brand of fluid:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mtl-103221?seid=srese1&gclid=CLvD8PHphb4CFWcS7AodjB8A7A

Is it alright to run? Also, I know that the transmission and brakes share the same fluid, is it the ATF or is it something else? I overheated the transmission/brakes a while ago and need to change out the fluid so I really want to know if this would work, also I'm curious to see if this would help with the notchy feeling in the transmission when it's cold.
Since when have the brake fluids and transmission fluids been the same?

Are you confusing power steering fluid and transmission fluid, those can sometimes be the same.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could have sworn that it was the brakes and trans that share fluid but I had this conversation almost a year ago.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
I could have sworn that it was the brakes and trans that share fluid but I had this conversation almost a year ago.
I'm sure your brakes would work with ATF fluid in there, but I wouldn't recommend it for anything other than a dire emergency when you can't get any DOT 3 or 4 or whatever goes in our cars.

People do use ATF in power steering though, the differences between ATF and power steering fluid is minimal in composition but large in price.

I'm surpirised you'd even consider it based upon your comments in the Challenger maintenance thread, you think his car is crapola because his dad didn't do everything by the book, and then some.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Post from another forum from a person who accidentally put ATF fluid into their brake system. The ATF fluid ate away at the rubber seals as they are not compatible.

"my car is in the shop getting $1600 worth of work done to rebuild the entire thing b/c of this. i accidentally put a small amt of transmission fluid in there before realizing what I had done & figured it was no biggy. WRONG. I noticed my brakes started messing up & needing more pressure to stop.. Then.. Yesterday they failed completely. Needless to say I brought it in having completely forgot about my stupid stupid mistake & they discovered that it had eaten away the brake system requiring it to be completely replaced."

·
Registered
156 Posts
Post from another forum from a person who accidentally put ATF fluid into their brake system. The ATF fluid ate away at the rubber seals as they are not compatible.

"my car is in the shop getting $1600 worth of work done to rebuild the entire thing b/c of this. i accidentally put a small amt of transmission fluid in there before realizing what I had done & figured it was no biggy. WRONG. I noticed my brakes started messing up & needing more pressure to stop.. Then.. Yesterday they failed completely. Needless to say I brought it in having completely forgot about my stupid stupid mistake & they discovered that it had eaten away the brake system requiring it to be completely replaced."
Geez, that would totally suck.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm sure your brakes would work with ATF fluid in there, but I wouldn't recommend it for anything other than a dire emergency when you can't get any DOT 3 or 4 or whatever goes in our cars.

People do use ATF in power steering though, the differences between ATF and power steering fluid is minimal in composition but large in price.

I'm surpirised you'd even consider it based upon your comments in the Challenger maintenance thread, you think his car is crapola because his dad didn't do everything by the book, and then some.
As far as that guy's dad not doing it by the book, the book is there for a reason as are the service intervals. Not only that, but he wasn't even going a few hundred miles over he was acting as if it didn't need to be done and it's a lie. All I want to know is what fluids are shared in the car and if the Motul will hurt anything. I also mentioned in that thread that run the finest fluids available in order to make sure the car will be perfect.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
As far as that guy's dad not doing it by the book, the book is there for a reason as are the service intervals. Not only that, but he wasn't even going a few hundred miles over he was acting as if it didn't need to be done and it's a lie. All I want to know is what fluids are shared in the car and if the Motul will hurt anything. I also mentioned in that thread that run the finest fluids available in order to make sure the car will be perfect.
I'm just messin' with you (not about the brakes though). I'm exactly the same as you. If I can put a better formulated and performing fluid in during maintenance, then I'm going to do it.

I have no experience with the Motul in a transmission. But I'm assuming it isn't as good as a Shell formulated ATF fluid. Not that I'm biased of course. ;)

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Motul is fantastic stuff. I know lots of import guys run it but I haven't heard of anyone running it in our cars.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just trying to get indepth knowledge. I'd rather know for sure and not gamble with this.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Just trying to get indepth knowledge. I'd rather know for sure and not gamble with this.
Fair enough. Since I've already said I have no clue about this ATF, then I'll let someone with knowledge respond. At least we saved you from an expensive brake job. :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah no shit about the brakes, huh? LOL

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Brampton, can I run the motul or should I run AMSoil ATF+4?

·
Super Moderator
16,633 Posts

Whatever fluid for the transmission, it needs to meet ATF+4 specs. (Tremec 6-speed, WA580 auto, and p/s use the same ATF+4 in each of those systems).

The hydraulic brake fluid is shared for the brakes and the 6-speed manual master/slave cylinder system (common reservoir).

Reactions: brampton builder
1 - 18 of 18 Posts