Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Can I Stomp On The Gas Pedal??

5K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  hdsoff 
#1 · (Edited)
My 2010 R/T has got 600 miles on it, what is the general opinion regarding break in and when its OK to try a bit of spirited driving? I have been babying her up to this point, from past experience, mostly with bikes, I have found that riding as I normally would seems to set the rings better than granny driving. I will be taking a 400 mile trip Saturday morning down a very long, very straight, very flat road. I wonder what she has got pinned and flat out.

I have never had much luck with the search function and this is just the beginning of a whole lot of silly questions about this ride, I am selling my Harley to mod it. Please bear with me!

#7 ·
During the first 500 miles, you should avoid long trips at constant speeds. The manual advises to vary your speed and the SRT engineers have advised no wide open throttle. That's why I had my SRT delivered to my house (avoided a 350 mile trip). The issue is not so much with the engine, but the drivetrain.

Now that your Challenger is past 500 miles, you are good to go. :thumbsup:

#14 ·
I bought my SRT 325 miles from where I live....all interstate miles I flew up to get it and drove it home. I just took my time and varied my speeds. I also did not keep it in 6th gear constantly. I varied between 5th and 6th and sometimes 4th.

#16 ·
Nothing wrong with taking your own precautions, but way overkill and all you are doing is wasting vaulable "fun" driving miles. this isn't the 60's and these cars do not need these crazy "baby it" break-in periods.

I made it almost 300 miles before I hammered the crap out of mine just like every other vehicle I have bought in the last 20+ years. Not a major engine failure yet. I don't understand where these magical numbers of miles come from. Enjoy your car it is ready for action. LOL

#10 ·
You've knocked all of the fuzzies off in 500 or 600. Especially if city driving. I don't think I would do any smoky burn-outs yet but some spirited acceleration wouldn't hurt it any at this point......IMHO.

"Oh yeah.....nice choice of colors I might add......."

#11 ·
Congrats on the new car. Looks great.

I've had similar thoughts about my Harley. Maybe this spring... Some of my riding buddies would be pissed, though.

#13 ·
thats why i wouldnt buy a used performance car.....and it probably was a good idea to order my car too..

if your trading it in at 40,000 miles id say go for it.....if your planning on this being a special car id baby those first few thousand miles..

#15 ·
Just to clarify, I dont intend to beat on it, just see how she handles at a high rate of speed. By the time I actually leave tomorrow it will have a little over 800 miles on the clock. And I will vary RPMs on the way down.

I do plan on adding a few things and keeping this car a long time.

#18 ·
I would suggest following your owner's manual. Have you read it? It is very specific and I personally believe it is the best method for longevity. The drivetrain is their responsibility for several years, don't you think they know what's best to cover their butts? Of course they do. Read it, follow it, live it. That is my advice since you asked. I would suggest reading your entire manual...at least twice. You will be surprised how many fewer questions would be asked on this site if people would just take the time to read. It certainly is a lot more interesting then repeats of "Everyone loves Raymond" for the umpteenth time! :) Enjoy that awesome ride Serge!:thumbsup:

#20 · (Edited)
I have read every owners manual I have ever had, comes from being in the auto business for 20 years and in service/warranty for 2 manufacturers for the last 10.

From the owners manual...

Drive moderately during the first 500 mi (800 km). After
the initial 60 mi (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80
or 90 km/h) are desirable.
While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the
limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in.
However, wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can
be detrimental and should be avoided.

I did not go outside of these recommended guidelines and you would be surprised at the reasons they write some of the things they do.

OH Yeah, I actually prefer Two And A Half Men!

#19 ·
PS: Love those standard wheels...much better than the larger plastic hubcap wheels imo. Also love the smaller rim and larger sidewall on the R/T's ! Really looks awesome, great color too! And I sold my Harley as well, too many toys...what are ya gonna do?

#21 ·
I bought my car with what the dealer said was 25 miles on it.
When I got down the road and set the trip odometer, I discovered it had 225 miles - probably everyone wanting to test the Mopar 10. I can only imagine how many people punched the junk out of it but I've driven city and Interstate and after it had 1100 miles, took it on a 2 lane highway. Punched it to pass and had to brake like the devil to bring it down to a respectable speed. She's fast and I guess one could say, definitely broke in. (I just hope nothing broke.....)
Cheers

#23 · (Edited)
Who ever said I had more experience? All I meant was that having been in the business for so long I have heard just about every dumb question people can come up with regarding their cars, answers to which are in their handy dandy manual. I just wanted to know how everybody else was breaking in their cars. There are many, many different schools of thought on how to break in vehicles, cars and bikes.

A long time ago I had a BMW motorcycle and followed the manual to the letter, dang thing never did set up right and blew a quart of oil every 1200 miles or so.

Now that I think about it, the auto business has nothing to do with it, I read manuals that come with everything. Hell, I just spent an hour reading the manual for my Kindle. I did not come in here looking for trouble or an argument.

BTW, I really like these wheels too.

#27 ·
Was sitting in at a shopping center waiting for my wife and a cop pulled up next to me asking questions about my car. We got into a very interesting conversation about the Dodge Chargers and Challengers. We discussed break in periods and he said they are told to go easy on them until 5000 miles. He also mentioned that the top end on their Charger police package is 182 MPH but unlikely any cop is going to risk their life and go that fast just to chase someone down.

#28 ·
Romp on it! Ever watch a brand new motor put on a dyno.. Set the wear patterns on the cylinders and bearings, where they should be. Drove mine out of the dealer and did 300 miles on the highway. Full throttle romps fluctuating speed from 40mph-80mph all day. Changed the oil at 2000 miles went to the track and popped off 13.4 @ 103MPH.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.