Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to update the maps in my garmin on the mygig in my '12 Challenger. I have the 430N unit.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,032 Posts
Either look on Garmins website or call them and ask.
Chrysler for some reason sent me a disk to update mine which is navtek and it loaded easily.

Reactions: Madcoder

·
Registered
15,840 Posts
Here's a way thru Garmin,

http://www.garmin.com/auto-update/

but it's $149 and temp out of stock.

I think Dodge did mail out some update discs to certain owners for some reason but
think any map update otherwise you will have to pay.

·
Premium Member
10,032 Posts
No, and to be honest don't know why they offered it. I bought the car in June of 2012 so it's not like it was a left over and was out of date. It was two discs, one for updating something in the radio and the second was updating the maps.
Garmin has excellent customer service so a call to them to ask should give you an answer if you can buy it directly from them.

Reactions: redd6054

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, and to be honest don't know why they offered it. I bought the car in June of 2012 so it's not like it was a left over and was out of date. It was two discs, one for updating something in the radio and the second was updating the maps.
Garmin has excellent customer service so a call to them to ask should give you an answer if you can buy it directly from them.
I will definitely give them a call, thank you.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Im also curious!

·
Registered
477 Posts
I've read on some other Chrysler/jeep forums of people downloading the update from the internet to a USB thumb drive and loading it that way. I couldn't get it to work for me though.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
327 Posts
There are sites on the web to download the software to run the radio. Maps come on cd or dvd. They come from Navteq, cause thats where Garmin gets its maps.

·
Registered
279 Posts
The disk was a software update for the radio itself, not a map update. Now some owners may have received a free map update if they purchased a new vehicle in a later year (buying a leftover 2012 now if they have any more).

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
I believe they will send you something in the mail when there is an update to your model year of Garmin 430N radio.

If it is anything like a guy I work withs G Cherokee though I am not going to do it. Reason is it costs $150.... AND the kicker is they send you a DVD and it takes 2 hours to update your unit and you cannot turn off your vehicle during the time it is updating. He said when the disc arrives you call them and they give you this long key number that you use when you put it in the unit. The Key can only be used in one vehicle

Seems crazy. If I would have known all of this I wouldn't have gotten NAV in the car. A portable Garmin is $129 with lifetime updates via you plugging it into your PC.

·
Premium Member
10,032 Posts
The disk was a software update for the radio itself, not a map update. Now some owners may have received a free map update if they purchased a new vehicle in a later year (buying a leftover 2012 now if they have any more).
I received 2 discs, one a radio update and the second was a map update.
As stated my car was built and received in June of 2012 so I don't see how the maps would be old at that point.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
I received 2 discs, one a radio update and the second was a map update.
As stated my car was built and received in June of 2012 so I don't see how the maps would be old at that point.
I know in Ohio last summer the highway speed limits were increased from 65 to 70 in rural areas.... when you put the NAV on it shows your speed and the speed limit and that is incorrect as it still shows 65... so somewhere something in the mapping system needs updated when they change speed limits for roads. New roads are built all of the time so maps do get outdated. I know they just completed a highway bypass around a very small town. When I drive on it it shows me going through a field. I have a 2013 so just on those two things it is outdated. A big deal, no, but outdated none the less.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have 2012 Challenger and just manually updated the maps so it is possible. There is a bit of effort and risk involved you can weigh that against paying $150 (Closer to $200 for Canada). I see they are offering them now.

2014.40 is the last version supported. I would guess the 430N will need a new firmware update because as of the 2015 maps, they use a new source and current units won't understand the map data.

I used a FAT32 USB flash drive to do all the work and it took about an hour mostly the Garmin update.

Some highlights
Collect:
City Navigator North America NT 2014.40 (called gmapprom.img)
Junction View JVC 2014.40 (D3060130A.JCV)

Downgraded radio firmware to 430N_RHB_RBZ.33-01-23
Installed map update
upgraded radio firmware back to 430N_RHB_RBZ.50.00.07

Before I had a missing road going to a missing new bridge. After I have a road going to a still missing bridge but it just opened so I accept that. It did prove the map is newer than my 2013 release I bought last year.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
10,032 Posts
According to Dodge for the "low" price of $149 and free shipping you can update your maps.
NEWS FLASH Dodge, that price is redicuolous. A person with a garmin unit can buy lifetime updates for $99 and Dodge wants money EVERY time to update the radio a person already paid big money for.
No thanks I'll just leave my maps stay outdated as I never have used my navigation since I bought the car.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My friend told me Jeep sends him free map updates in the mail... I'm gonna call Dodge at some point to see if that is possible lol.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts