Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Can it be repaired?

1892 41
Hi guys,

I was just in a fender bender yesterday in my new Challenger and I’m beyond upset, luckily both myself and the other driver are ok although my car received more damage. The airbags didn’t deploy but there was leaking fluid. I was able to drive it home about an hour away with no issues. Do you think it can be repaired or is it totaled?
Car Vehicle Grille Hood Automotive tire

UPDATE
Just got the estimate today, $7335.06. Not as bad as I thought, feeling cautiously optimistic.
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
These types of posts are hard to answer. I am not sure why you would ask a people on the internet this question - I am beginning to think its just Challenger owners. I do not see these types of questions on the RAM HD truck forums(does this comment make me a "keyboard warrior?).

There are so many variables to these it is hard to say - from a general cursory look its fixable.

Let your insurance figure it out.
It could be because the Challenger as we know it now in its current configuration is going away after 2023. Therefore replacement body panels will bet harder to get.

If the RAM trucks continue, then it would not perhaps apply to getting them repaired.

·
Registered
169 Posts
It could be because the Challenger as we know it now in its current configuration is going away after 2023. Therefore replacement body panels will bet harder to get.

If the RAM trucks continue, then it would not perhaps apply to getting them repaired.

The line may be ending in its current configuration but the parts are not. They still need to make parts for all these Gas powered challengers on the road.

I had to wait 4 days for a drivers door glass replacement aftermarket- OEM was 5 weeks on my 2022. It's not because the line is ending - its just issues in the supply chain. I then replaced the window on my dime with a MOPAR window.

I will also add that FCA has many gas engines that they are not going to throw away - you will probably be able to order well in to 2024.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
If you wreck a car in my area you are looking at 3 months to get it scheduled in for repairs.
That rental car bill would total many vehicles.

Reactions: AZBEESCAT

·
Registered
941 Posts
Another guy with the "is it totaled post" and doesn't come back?

My daughter's car was just totaled after being t-boned at a 4 way intersection. Didn't look outrageously bad but needs both doors, uniside, curtain airbags, seat airbag, all sensors, new dash, and sub frame.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
Custom order. 6 speed manual
2,826 Posts
Another guy with the "is it totaled post" and doesn't come back?

My daughter's car was just totaled after being t-boned at a 4 way intersection. Didn't look outrageously bad but needs both doors, uniside, curtain airbags, seat airbag, all sensors, new dash, and sub frame. View attachment 1068358

View attachment 1068360
Once the damage gets to the ultra high strength steel “D” ring around the passenger compartment, repair cost skyrockets.

Some really bad and clueless shops still believe you can pull damage like that.

Glad you got it to a shop that wasn’t afraid to total it.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger SXT, Octane Red Metallic, Ruby Red/Black Int.
521 Posts
Reactions: A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
35,950 Posts
I don't think people come here looking for definitive ideas, just opinions. No doubt upset and in the slow process of finding out if it is a total. They look to sympathetic Challenger owners to commiserate...not expecting a 100% decision based on 2 pictures. Nor expecting to be called a troll for just asking :cautious:

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,376 Posts
daily can this be fixed post
It is absolutely MIND BOGGLING at the new forum members that join simply to ask if their car can be repaired after being in an accident. o_O

• Haha

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Exactly! I’m fully aware it needs to be thoroughly evaluated by a professional body shop but I truly appreciate the people who gave genuine and thoughtful answers, it helped ease my anxiety and lifted my spirits. Still waiting to get it towed to the shop in the next few days for an estimate. I did find out I have GAP insurance so I’m feeling a little better today.

I don't think people come here looking for definitive ideas, just opinions. No doubt upset and in the slow process of finding out if it is a total. They look to sympathetic Challenger owners to commiserate...not expecting a 100% decision based on 2 pictures. Nor expecting to be called a troll for just asking :cautious:

A Guy

·
Registered
2021 Daytona 392
356 Posts
If you suspect a troll, report the post, don't post calling it out as a troll, etc. It's no wonder some don't post again. The moderators will determine if someone is a troll. I personally see every post, but a report is always welcome. What's not is calling out, speculating that someone is a troll after their 1st post

A Guy
I didn't call anyone a troll...it was a genuine question (if they're trolling or not).
The guy was saying how some people were keyboard warriors/not helping & all I said was that I wasn't sure other people thought the 1 posters were trolling or not (and that's why people weren't helping as much/anymore), and just like @Poncherello said too (1 post and don't come back)

And the other thread, from a 1 poster, went sideways with ACTUAL troll calling & nothing was said there

Just sayin' & carry on

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
35,950 Posts
By no means was I calling you out, was quoting you as you had pondered. That other thread was way gone before I ever saw it unfortunately. In any case, it doesn't mean it's OK since it happened in another post. Nuff said...

A Guy

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
5,620 Posts
It is absolutely MIND BOGGLING at the new forum members that join simply to ask if their car can be repaired after being in an accident. o_O
Not mind boggling. Nothing like having an accident with one's car that makes someone reach out for "help".

With car accidents, unless one works in the industry, experience comes with having a car involved in an accident. And the first one -- and all the rest if God forbid there are any -- is the way one gains experience. To have a car involved in an accident is a very miserable situation.

All I seek to do, and I'm not alone by any means, is provide some general guidance on how to proceed and what to expect as the car proceeds to be repaired. Or what to expect if the car is declared a total loss. Unfortunately my posts have some experience behind them. Wish it were not so. I would like nothing better to have no experience with a car accident and to never get any experience.

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,376 Posts
Not mind boggling. Nothing like having an accident with one's car that makes someone reach out for "help".
There might as well be an APP for that....based on the degree of accuracy and detail one could give by looking at a few pictures on a forum board......

• Haha

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
if its an older v6 it may be close to totaled likely cost around 20k all said and done
Exactly. People are saying yea or no based on the picture of the front end.

If it’s a year old and has 5,000 miles on it the answer will be different than a 6 year old car with 100,000.

Let your insurance figure it out.
I think that’s part of the problem. Most people would be shocked by how many people drive around without insurance.

Look how many post there are asking how much will this cost to get repaired. If you have insurance who cares it’s more than your deductible either way.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Exactly. People are saying yea or no based on the picture of the front end.

If it’s a year old and has 5,000 miles on it the answer will be different than a 6 year old car with 100,000.

I think that’s part of the problem. Most people would be shocked by how many people drive around without insurance.

Look how many post there are asking how much will this cost to get repaired. If you have insurance who cares it’s more than your deductible either way.

I know people drive without insurance - but not if they are still making payments(hopefully - they just add a charge to your car payment that is more than just getting insurance. Here in Arizona they suspend your license and not allow you to renew its registration for no insurance.

I suspect some of the older cars only have liability insurance and if the accident is their fault they have to pay to repair.

·
Premium Member
11,521 Posts
If mine was wrecked I’m done with it, it’s then on to something else. Insurance companies are there to make money and the adjusters job is to limit the amount paid out and you then get what you get.

·
Registered
Custom order. 6 speed manual
2,826 Posts
Insurance companies are there to make money and the adjusters job is to limit the amount paid out and you then get what you get.
This is true. We were just having a discussion at the shop about not servicing "X Company" policy holders anymore. We will likely only do repairs if the vehicle owner pays our complete bill. It will then be their problem to collect from their insurance company.

·
Registered
169 Posts
This is true. We were just having a discussion at the shop about not servicing "X Company" policy holders anymore. We will likely only do repairs if the vehicle owner pays our complete bill. It will then be their problem to collect from their insurance company.
I was surprised to find out that only 5 shops or so work directly with GEICO where I live.

I think the insurance companies reign in what the costs are where a shop dealing with the customer directly can charge whatever they want on labor...
So who is sticking it to the customer...probably both as one shorts the customer in quality and one over charges.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts