Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This car is a beast. How strong is she? I've owned a 2014 Challenger R/T Plus with a 6-speed TREMEC for 5 days now. I have been exceptionally kind to this car thus far (small and brief bursts of speed - nothing past 80mph). We've got 600 miles now.

*1 - Is there a preferred break-in with this car? My last two new ones (08 Escape / 02 Durango), I broke-in with moderate speeds and consistency until 2000 miles. - Is that kind of mileage necessary for a new Challenger? My research tells me a couple-hundred miles. Thoughts?

*2 - What's your preferred procedure for smoking some rubber from stand-still with a 6-speed manual transmission? I'd just power torque an automatic with the brakes. Whaddaya' do with a manual transmission? Dump the clutch? Is this car bad-ass enough for that kind of behavior? Thoughts?

Thanks for your opinions! :twak:

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
If you rev it up and dump the clutch with traction control off you can easily lay a 30 ft strip of rubber without breaking a sweat ... My driveway has the proof.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
627 Posts
You wann have some fun dump the clutch in second at about 30 mph make sure no one is next you tho lol

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is totally the feedback I was looking for. You guys rock. Keep 'em comin'!!

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
According to the OM, break in is 500 miles.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
I break all mine in at the track. I break em in how I will drive them. :)
Some say that's bad but.............................its not. I will lay down a disclaimer though. Just do what the owners manual says. ;)

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
With my cars, I took them up over 120 with moderate gas. Never floored it, just gave it enough to get there and did that regularly for the first 600 miles. Varying the engine speed and load during the break in period is crucial to having a car that runs strong.

·
Registered
253 Posts
My favorite line in the owner's manual is:

"While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in."

About the only time in life where going by the book is an absolute blast.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Yup its a fun car for sure. Congrats on your RT! I love WOT from 2nd to 3rd and if you have the balls (and room) to 4th. I think those gears are the sweet spot. After you wear out your rear tires, get some wider and stickier ones as that will prevent some spinning.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
This car is a beast. How strong is she? I've owned a 2014 Challenger R/T Plus with a 6-speed TREMEC for 5 days now. I have been exceptionally kind to this car thus far (small and brief bursts of speed - nothing past 80mph). We've got 600 miles now.

*1 - Is there a preferred break-in with this car? My last two new ones (08 Escape / 02 Durango), I broke-in with moderate speeds and consistency until 2000 miles. - Is that kind of mileage necessary for a new Challenger? My research tells me a couple-hundred miles. Thoughts?

*2 - What's your preferred procedure for smoking some rubber from stand-still with a 6-speed manual transmission? I'd just power torque an automatic with the brakes. Whaddaya' do with a manual transmission? Dump the clutch? Is this car bad-ass enough for that kind of behavior? Thoughts?

Thanks for your opinions! :twak:
To completely disengage the traction control you have to hold it (the button) for about 15 seconds until you here a chime. Then she'll rip from side to side! New car? You gotta post some pics for us! Congrats.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts