Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping that somebody would be able to do a quick experiment for me, shouldn't take any more than a minute or two, but would require a car that has the steering wheel controls for the radio.

Basically, I am trying to find out the steering wheel control switches still work if the IGN fuse in the trunk is pulled. This is the 20A Yellow fuse which powers the cigarette lighter.

There's a long story behind this which I will get into later on if and when I have any results of this experiment.

·
Banned
557 Posts
Hey Pete, I saw your other thread. I haven't done the mod yet to be able to test for you, sorry. :(

What I was going to say though is I believe some people had to have the dealer try the programming another time or two. And sometimes it takes awhile for Dodge to shoot down the programming (?). Not sure I understand that, but just saying the dealer may be at fault here more than the fuse.

Still, it's wise to check the fuse and have some info in hand when you go back demanding a refund. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
What fuse are you talking about? In the trunk I don't have one called ing for the lighter. I have #9 power outlet and #18 selectable power outlet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fuse I had asked about was Fuse #18 as in the attached file.

This fuse powers the cigarette lighter under the radio.

The cool thing about this fuse is that it has 2 positions that it could be inserted into.

Shipped from the factory, it is offset from the other fuses in the same line and is powered as soon as the key is turned to the ACC position, and will be powered off about an hour after you shut the car off.

If it is moved to its other position (in line with the other fuses), then your cigarette lighter in the dash will be powered all the time.

What I am trying to find out is if the steering wheel radio control switches work with this fuse pulled, in this case the cigarette lighter is never powered, regardless of the position of the car key.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
My controls work with that fuse pulled. Mine doesn't even have contacts in the place the fuse would be in line with the other fuses. FYI I have a hot lighter socket in the console if it matters.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts