Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is my 2019 R/T that just rolled off the showroom floor this last Saturday. I’ve noticed this “rattle” that seemingly comes from the driver side dash/windshield area. It’s more noticeable around 60-70mph, but I’ve heard it at lower speeds as well. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, what was the cause?

I've found some similar threads, some of which are really old, where people have identified what was causing it in their situations, but none of them have provided a video where I can say that the sound is the same as what I'm experiencing.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,734 Posts
Sorry, I didn't hear a rattle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I didn't hear a rattle.
Interesting. In the video, it seems the most audible to me around the 12 second mark. It sounds almost like sparks a hot wire touching up against a ground would make. (I'm not suggesting that's what it is, just trying to describe the sound I'm hearing).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do not hear any rattle or any out of the ordinary noise.
Are you guys using headphones by any chance, or possibly listening to it in a semi-noisy environment? I must not have been able to capture it properly enough, although I can clearly hear it in the video. There is absolutely no way that sound is "ordinary" for a brand new vehicle.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,741 Posts
Are you guys using headphones by any chance, or possibly listening to it in a semi-noisy environment? I must not have been able to capture it properly enough, although I can clearly hear it in the video. There is absolutely no way that sound is "ordinary" for a brand new vehicle.
Not using headphones. They are at work and besides they suck.

Listening to it via my MacBook Pro which has pretty good sound. I turned the volume all the way up and listen with the laptop held up close to my best ear. I'm in my apartment with no real background noise to speak of. I listened a couple of times without looking at the video then listened again while watching it to see if I could hear anything at the 12 second mark.

Sorry, but I hear nothing out of the ordinary.

Have you checked under the car to make sure something like a bag or piece of paper or a stick or something is not caught and dragging on the pavement or rubbing against a tire? Once in a while on the road I'll spot a car with something hanging down under the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not using headphones. They are at work and besides they suck.

Listening to it via my MacBook Pro which has pretty good sound. I turned the volume all the way up and listen with the laptop held up close to my best ear. I'm in my apartment with no real background noise to speak of. I listened a couple of times without looking at the video then listened again while watching it to see if I could hear anything at the 12 second mark.

Sorry, but I hear nothing out of the ordinary.

Have you checked under the car to make sure something like a bag or piece of paper or a stick or something is not caught and dragging on the pavement or rubbing against a tire? Once in a while on the road I'll spot a car with something hanging down under the car.
Well that's wild. I haven't checked to verify any garbage, I suppose I can look just to verify.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I hear nothing at 12 seconds. At 15 seconds my sub-woofer starts thumping. It sounds to me like either bass notes or possibly a little drone from the MDS if this is an A8. if It is in fact an A8.......try the same test in Sport Mode to see if it is any different.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I hear it. You aren’t crazy!
From my perspective it sounds almost like static or something being blown by the AC.

Do you have ac on? Does it only occur with ac/heat on? Have you tried moving the ac adjuster to see if it changed it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hear it. You aren’t crazy!
From my perspective it sounds almost like static or something being blown by the AC.

Do you have ac on? Does it only occur with ac/heat on? Have you tried moving the ac adjuster to see if it changed it?

Okay, thank goodness. I was seriously starting to second guess my sanity there. That's a good way to describe the noise itself, and no, AC/Heat adjustments don't have any effect on it.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Without being in the car, the sound just sounds flat (can’t tell how deep the origin of it is within the dash). I would guess it’s a wire vibrating against some plastic or an internal panel not entirely resting/cushioned against something.
Being that it’s brand new, a trip to the dealer would be my first thought.
My second is that rattles and vibrations create the need to disassemble parts in order to find where they are coming from. My car is very loud and cammed with solid engine mounts...it vibrates a lot. I had to spend a considerable amount of time chasing down little noises here and there inside the cabin. Being that it’s brand new, I don’t think you’re gonna want to rip into the dash to try and find the source of the noise yourself. A dealer trip would be my go to (despite disliking going into a dealer for anything), unless you want to take the plunge and pull the dash lol!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Without being in the car, the sound just sounds flat (can’t tell how deep the origin of it is within the dash). I would guess it’s a wire vibrating against some plastic or an internal panel not entirely resting/cushioned against something.
Being that it’s brand new, a trip to the dealer would be my first thought.
My second is that rattles and vibrations create the need to disassemble parts in order to find where they are coming from. My car is very loud and cammed with solid engine mounts...it vibrates a lot. I had to spend a considerable amount of time chasing down little noises here and there inside the cabin. Being that it’s brand new, I don’t think you’re gonna want to rip into the dash to try and find the source of the noise yourself. A dealer trip would be my go to (despite disliking going into a dealer for anything), unless you want to take the plunge and pull the dash lol!

Oh no, if the noise is coming from within the dash and it has to be removed I won't be attempting that at all. I was hoping someone who had a similar issue could watch the video and then pass along what their particular fix was, but I may be in a small percentage of cars affected here.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
It sounds like...

you need to go to the dealer if it concerns you that much.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts