Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 2009 SRT. The car looks good, but I am of course skeptical of anything that a private seller (or dealer for that matter) tells me as a potential buyer. The seller said that he bought the car a month ago but has found something more practical that his wife can drive too. He said that he bought from another individual and that there 6500 miles on it. I have purchased the Autocheck on the car. The results from Autocheck are quite out of date. It doesn't show any transactions on the car since 2009, it still shows only one owner and the last odometer reading was at 5miles!!! I looked on the National Insurace Crime Bureau (NICB) to see if the VIN showed as a stolen car. Of course it doesn't. I have sent an email to autocheck to see what they can tell me, but of course I haven't received a reply. Can someone a carfax on this to see if that returns the same results as autocheck? Also, does this rub anyone else the wrong way?

·
Registered
466 Posts
does make you sound like a cheap skate

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
Maybe talk the seller into going to the dealership with you and have them check over everything out

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
If someone can help you, great, but you are looking at spending what I'm guessing is $30K plus on a car, but you don't want to pay $25 for a CarFax?

If someone selling a car after 30 days ownership doesn't scare you away, then I doubt a CarFax would.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
buy a different car, you'll never be happy with that one

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't realize how cheap this is making me sound. I already paid for the 60 day subscription at Autocheck. I really don't want to spend another 30 bucks for another check especially if it returns the same data that I have already paid for. I didn't know if someone might have a carfax subscription that I could compare to is all.

Believe me I am a bit skeptical with the current owner only having it for only a month. I am going to meet with the seller tomorrow and check out the car and see the feeling I get from this guy.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I didn't realize how cheap this is making me sound. I already paid for the 60 day subscription at Autocheck. I really don't want to spend another 30 bucks for another check especially if it returns the same data that I have already paid for. I didn't know if someone might have a carfax subscription that I could compare to is all.

Believe me I am a bit skeptical with the current owner only having it for only a month. I am going to meet with the seller tomorrow and check out the car and see the feeling I get from this guy.
Don't beat yourself up too much. I can understand why you might be skeptical given the 2nd owner has had the car for only a month.

I understand you don't want to keep throwing money at a car that, in the end, you may opt to pass on but, if a CARFAX can give you peace of mind, it is well worth the couple of bucks. But then maybe the earlier advice is best? You'll never be happy with it - if you wonder about that 2nd owner anytime anything goes wrong with the car - just get a different one.

·
Registered
585 Posts
theres a million of these cars for sale. If this transaction is making you uneasy I would move along to the next one. You will find what you want you just might need to be patient. As far as the carfax goes spend the extra money because if the deal doesn't work out you may want accesss to carfax for the next car you go to purchase. I'm not calling you cheap, because if I had access i would do it for u, but spending the extra couple of bucks will probably give you peace of mind. just my .02.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
You guys sure know how to welcome a new member...

I don't think it's being cheap at all. The buyer shouldn't have to pay for that information nowadays, the seller should. If he's not offering it, find another car. Bad enough he's only had it for 1 month.

Welcome to the forum, btw.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
There is some reason this guy is selling the car so quickly. If I didn't have concrete proof that he lost his job in the last 4 weeks, I would pass on this car. People will tell you anything to sell a car they want to be rid of, and most of it will not be the truth. You find out the truth after the car is titled in YOUR name.

·
Banned
557 Posts
Welcome to the forum. :)

Sorry I don't have a CarFax subscription or I would hook you up. But I'll just echo the others and agree to walk unless there is some really great reason (and supporting proof) why this guy has to sell after ONE month of ownership. I'd just pass and find a new deal. You will always worry about this and it'll hinder the joy of owning one of the best muscle cars available.

·
Registered
2018 SRT
2,643 Posts
Listen you already made up your mind without knowing. You do not trust the situation with this sale right? As another poster said, there are tons of these cars for sale. And as the 11's come in to the dealers, there will be alot more good garage queens traded in . The dealers will be over stocked and they will be looking to move the cars. You can purchase one from a good dealer, purchase an extended warranty and be at peace with your purchase. Another thing would be to look no further than this Forum. There maybe a nice SRT by a forum member for sale. Good luck.:thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts