Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there fellow Mopar friends, I have a 2011 challenger rt. It has a few upgrades, just a cold air intake, catch can, thermostat but nothing too serious yet. Then I got a look at a video of the hellcat.. they said it will have 700 hp and cost around 60k. I got my challenger for 40k so I was wondering for 20k in upgrades can you make your rt challenger beat the hellcat? Exhaust headers supercharger suspension bigger gears, and other tthings I'm not aware of? Or is it not possible without an engine swap? Or will the 5.7 Be able to put the hammer down enough to get up to 700hp and take a hellcat as the ultimate sleeper? I honestly just want opinions, because my brothers like dude you should trade it in for that and i told him I think I can make my car better than the hellcat for the price difference of the rt to hellcat? Is there any truth to that or is it impossible to make a 5.7 faster (without nos) and still reliable as the hellcat? I wouldn't want a drag car, it would still have to be ready for the streets. Thanks to any all responses !

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Cost you way more than 20k most likely. You will need supercharger or turbos and a forged stroker. Thats approaching 20k right there.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
20k will not get you close enough to even keep up. Would likely spend the 20k just trying to generate the power of the Hellcat. Would be no money left for suspension work, brake work, and gearing. Definitely not enough to get you all the programability of the Hellcat computer.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Working on a build now that should overtake the Hellcat... The Hellcat will have a lot more features that I don't have though....

·
Premium Member
7,322 Posts
You would also need to upgrade driveline components. If you want 700 hp, you will be better off to trade your car in on a Hellcat and walk out with a completely reliable car with a warranty.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Completely agree with all of the above posts.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I had priced this out with a vendor here and there's only a $2K difference in cost of TT vs SC. Complete powertrain, driveline, Eibach suspension.

For me it was $26 - $28K out the door. And that is a discounted cost with my payment being cash in full.

The HC will afford you all of the creature comforts ....... I could go either way. A muscle car is a muscle car. I don't need all of the thrills. I enjoy building/modifying a car to what I want rather than buying it the way "they" want.

My .02

·
Registered
315 Posts
You would also need to upgrade driveline components. If you want 700 hp, you will be better off to trade your car in on a Hellcat and walk out with a completely reliable car with a warranty.
Way ahead of you see my signature above, but building your own is still less than the Hellcat. I will have a total of about $11K in mine.... And when I supercharge mine I will 100 or so HP above the Hellcat.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Get the Hellcat...buy some DOT drag radials and a set of Goodyear Cups...comfortably with a full warranty, you'll be able to smoke just about anything on the street and track. Once you've had your fun and the warranty expires, put it away in storage and carefully maintain it. In 20 to 30 years, it will be worth a lot of $$$...significantly more than a chopped up RT.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
7,322 Posts
Way ahead of you see my signature above, but building your own is still less than the Hellcat. I will have a total of about $11K in mine.... And when I supercharge mine I will 100 or so HP above the Hellcat.
. :thup:

·
Registered
636 Posts
First of all the hellcat isn't 60k. That's like going to a dealer that advertised a base model pos for 15k and expecting to find it on the lot... Oh we just sold it... Point being don't expect to see a hellcat under 65.

Secondly an rt is easily had under 30 or at 30, so really we have 30-35 k in money for upgrades not 20.

Next we have to subtract the 15% drivetrain loss to this 700+ hp ( if it were actually 700, 700-15%= 595 hp)... That puts you near 600 rwhp in the hellcat which is beastly. I have a lightly modded RT and I just dynoed 520 rwhp and I am very very close to 10 grand in parts but not everyone can do their own labor. Now for 10k more you got a boosted, forged 426 but have significantly more power. So your at 50k and you still don't have wheels, tires, drivetrain, complete brake setup, better interior, etc.

So I would have to say if you did your own labor a rt can be made faster than a hellcat, BUT if you have 60-70 grand to spend on a weekend car I would absolutely get a Hellcat or a Shelby. Keep in mind it is harder to sell a Frankenstein car vs a future collectors item ( probably).

Reactions: Palerider15

·
Registered
315 Posts
The title is misleading. Yes an R/T can be built to smoke a Hellcat, but not for $20,000.
Even with a SC I may have $16,500 in my build and that puts me around $48k total and I will have at least 100hp more. If you want all the bells and whistles with the Hellcat which are very nice then spend then someone should buy the Hellcat but when I am done I will beat the Hellcat for quite a bit less.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
It can be done... but can it be bullet proof and reliable?

The other thought is if you try to sell it. Even though the Hellcat costs more, a heavily modified R/T will be very hard to sell.

I'd guess it would be close to 20K to get the power. Then you have transmission, launch control, adjustable suspension, axles, driveshafts.......etc.

Just be prepared to have it forever and take a huge loss if you ever do sell.

·
Premium Member
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
Yes it can be done and it will be very costly and you still won't have everything that the Hellcat has but then again I built mine for me and there wasn't even a thought about the Hellcat when I did mine... I say bring on the cat and I'll give it a spelling lesson then go to a show open my hood and spank it there also and my audio system will drown out the purr of the cat if I so choose. Handling I'll stick with it all day also the only part of the original drive train and suspension that's stock is my Tremec so all I have to say is here kitty kitty :icon_lol:

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Even with a SC I may have $16,500 in my build and that puts me around $48k total and I will have at least 100hp more. If you want all the bells and whistles with the Hellcat which are very nice then spend then someone should buy the Hellcat but when I am done I will beat the Hellcat for quite a bit less.
Which is why you can't build a R/T for $20K to match a Hellcat. Even if you have the garage, tools, free time and skills to do all the work, you're already $16.5K into the build and haven't added engine oil or transmission coolers. You have weak brakes compared to a Hellcat, and those big brakes are not going to come cheap. You have less air intake to keep things cool even if you add oil & transmission coolers. At higher speeds, your aero package is not as good, either. Based on the reviews and videos I've seen, also seems highly likely the Hellcat will handle better. After all that, you have a weaker block, heads and transmission that will be trying to live with more horsepower than the Hellcat, with no warranty.

P.S. The Hellcat with the A8 is always going to have a significant edge over either the A5 or M6.

Skip ahead to the 4:30 mark for the Hellcat on a road course with a professional driver:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Which is why you can't build a R/T for $20K to match a Hellcat. Even if you have the garage, tools, free time and skills to do all the work, you're already $16.5K into the build and haven't added engine oil or transmission coolers. You have weak brakes compared to a Hellcat, and those big brakes are not going to come cheap. You have less air intake to keep things cool even if you add oil & transmission coolers. At higher speeds, your aero package is not as good, either. Based on the reviews and videos I've seen, also seems highly likely the Hellcat will handle better. After all that, you have a weaker block, heads and transmission that will be trying to live with more horsepower than the Hellcat, with no warranty.

P.S. The Hellcat with the A8 is always going to have a significant edge over either the A5 or M6.

Skip ahead to the 4:30 mark for the Hellcat on a road course with a professional driver:

Hellcat Unleashed: The 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT! - World's Fastest Car Show Ep 4.7 - YouTube
I am not try to make mine a Hellcat, but when I am done line it up and I will send it home with hurt feelings. If I wanted a Hellcat I would sell mine and get one, but I am building my ride specifically for me. There are several cars out there right now that will send the Hellcat home whining... A lot of folks are under the impression that they can do whatever they want to with the car but the first time signs show the vehicle was raced, Dodge will drop the warranty like a hot potato....At least I know I am voiding mine by choice...

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I agree with Black Cuda. Yes, you could build an RT to out run a hellcat in a qtr, or have the bragging rights on dyno numbers; BUT, in the end, you will just have a modded RT. It will never be "worth" what a factory Hellcat is and will be. Of course, the definition of "worth" is what you, the OP must decide. If you're planning on selling the car, short term, it will not be worth the effort you put into it. And, by short term, I mean less than 10yrs. The "worth" part of it in the long term is not resale, it's the fun you might have with it while your doing your build, and the satisfaction you have, knowing you just didn't buy it off the lot. For some, buying off the lot, and having a good resale IS the better choice. What's your poison?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Take nothing away from the Hellcat at all as it it a great looking car with lots of extras... But if you know how to build a car you can build a faster one for about $10k less.. You just have to decide if the bells and whistles are worth the extra $10k or so.

·
Premium Member
10,420 Posts
For those who worry about selling it, you put your stock engine on a stand wrapped in plastic in the corner of your garage. Now go build a forged Hellcat killer you drop in and have fun with, when funtime is done, sell the new motor to recover some of the costs, put the stock reliable motor back and sell the car for "all the money".
Half the enjoyment when I was a kid (mid 70's) was to build your own car, my 1962 Corvette was a wheel stander as was my 350 cubic inch Vega which took on any and all comers, built it on a dare.
There will ALWAYS be something bigger, faster etc. Go out and enjoy yourself but the most important thing is don't BURY YOURSELF IN DEBT over a car.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts