Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
one of my friends knows my IE392 is on the way...we talk about if often and i offered to let him drive it(he's a big mopar guy)

he's been noticing challengers now and told me he cant tell any of the differences....since its winter im assuming he's seeing SE's.....he made the comment that 'its weird that the bottom model and top model look almost the same'...

and now 2011 SE's can get side stripes ,20" wheels & dual exhaust too

i guess i cant tell the difference between the Camaro SS and RS either

it seems strange that they dont make the models look very different...the low model looks almost the same as the $20,000 more model

the dual full body stripes will be the main difference for 2011 i guess

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Of course the badages are dif. but those can be faked. The exaust is what I usually look at. You can add duel exaust to a SE but I've never seen it look the same. Alot SEs have smaller wheels also.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the average Joe can't tell the difference by just looking at the cars.

Most probably don't even know what R/T or SRT8 means. Anybody that is interested in cars will know, though.

My car has the HEMI badges on the hood and the R/T badge, but otherwise, there's no way to tell. That's o.k. with me though.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,819 Posts
The things like the SE's single exhaust now going dual aren't going to make it any easier to tell the difference either. The thing that gets me about the SRT is the black spoiiler which looks unfinished IMO. On my R/T, I like the fact the spoiler is painted purple to match the rest of the car.
I doubt the general public has a clue to discern or know the differences between models, but more hard core car buffs might. On my car, the R/T on the white side stripe is pretty visible. I'd be happy if one of my associates at work would stop calling it a Charger!
On another thread about the new Toxic Orange, I commented on the fact this color was common to all three models which was one reason I didn't like it.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Your average person who knows little about cars can't tell the difference between the models.

Even people with knowledge might not be able to tell what model if it is moving and has some slight modding done to it. I.E. an SE with 20" Chrome Clads, an R/T spoiler, R/T dual exhaust, and chrome gas cap would be hard pressed to tell if it were an SE or RT if it passed by.

The IE392 stripes will be available aftermarket so people with DWB or Bright White could easily make their cars "look" like an IE392.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
The things like the SE's single exhaust now going dual aren't going to make it any easier to tell the difference either. The thing that gets me about the SRT is the black spoiiler which looks unfinished IMO. On my R/T, I like the fact the spoiler is painted purple to match the rest of the car.
I doubt the general public has a clue to discern or know the differences between models, but more hard core car buffs might. On my car, the R/T on the white side stripe is pretty visible. I'd be happy if one of my associates at work would stop calling it a Charger!
What I was saying about dual exaust was even if someone puts it on a SE it doesn't usually have the caps on the end that look like ours or SRTs

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
I'm sure that most folks don't, but I sure get a ton of "thumbs up", flashing headlights and such when they see my "DY" RT Classic coming down the road.

It's "Branded"

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I wish Dodge would offer a model that would confuse them even more. Like letting me order a street-legal "base" SE with the SRT drive-train, suspension and brakes, a 6 spd manual, SE-look forged wheels, and ... uuuhhh, thats it! Niiicccceee!!!

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
one of my friends knows my IE392 is on the way...we talk about if often and i offered to let him drive it(he's a big mopar guy)

he's been noticing challengers now and told me he cant tell any of the differences....since its winter im assuming he's seeing SE's.....he made the comment that 'its weird that the bottom model and top model look almost the same'...

and now 2011 SE's can get side stripes ,20" wheels & dual exhaust too

i guess i cant tell the difference between the Camaro SS and RS either

it seems strange that they dont make the models look very different...the low model looks almost the same as the $20,000 more model

the dual full body stripes will be the main difference for 2011 i guess
i don't now about that either. the 2010 SE ralle already has stripes very similar.

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
I wish Dodge would offer a model that would confuse them even more. Like letting me order a street-legal "base" SE with the SRT drive-train, suspension and brakes, a 6 spd manual, SE-look forged wheels, and ... uuuhhh, thats it! Niiicccceee!!!
I hear what you're saying. I miss the "old days" of ordering cars.

Have the Challenger offered in the "trim" of your choice. then pick the suspension, tranny, and motor of choice.

Well, back to reality, but I'm still happy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
On another thread about the new Toxic Orange, I commented on the fact this color was common to all three models which was one reason I didn't like it.
LOL....same here my black SRT gets called a charger more than a challenger from friends, relatives and co-workers...I get tired of correcting them. The cars looking simular dosen't really bother me, a real car guy knows the difference..........

·
Registered
353 Posts
My car has been called everything from a Charger to a Mustang. Sometimes it's hard for me to distinguish between an RT and SE from a distance but I can definitely spot another SRT8 fairly easily. The Camaro SS and RS are hard to distinguish unless you look at the Brembos and the mail slot on the hood. I'm glad that there is a more noticeable difference between the trim levels of the Challenger than the Mustang and Camaro. Also, when people pull up next to me and see that 6.1 Hemi on the hood they know that it's the big boy...at least for now (392 will soon take that title).

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
My car has been called everything from a Charger to a Mustang. Sometimes it's hard from me to distinguish from an RT and SE from a distance but I can definitely spot another SRT8 fairly easily. The Camaro SS and RS are hard to distinguish unless you look at the Brembos and the mail slot on the hood. I'm glad that their is a more noticeable difference between the trim levels of the Challenger than the Mustang and Camaro. Also, when people pull up next to me and see that 6.1 Hemi on the hood they know that it's the big boy.
There's been alot of talk on here about faulse badging so you can't go by that.

·
Registered
353 Posts
There's been alot of talk on here about faulse badging so you can't go by that.

I would love to run into a poser so that I can call them out. Be happy with what you have. I would never put 392 or SMS on my 6.1. I think that's just plain silly but to each his own.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
I would love to run into a poser so that I can call them out. Be happy with what you have. I would never put 392 or SMS on my 6.1. I think that's just plain silly but to each his own.
I agree. I have my RT in the grill, HIMI on the hood and Classic scripts on the fenders. What you see is what you get.

·
Registered
461 Posts
When you say "general public" I think of a non-car enthusiast.
In which case, they're lucky to know it's a Challenger, much less what the models are.

I would say that, those who care, might be most concerned about the non-Mopar car enthusiast. Most of them would be looking at badging. As we know, that's no guarantee.

The Modern Mopar enthusiast is looking for specifics like, badging, exhaust, wheels, ride height, spoilers, stripes, color, and hoods. All of these can be modified to imitate most any model.

As for me, at times it is of some concern, though not much. But it does make for some interesting conversation.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Car guys will know. But general public will not. I would also assume that they also can't tell the 5.0 and SS from their 6 cylinder option cars as well.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Car guys will know. But general public will not. I would also assume that they also can't tell the 5.0 and SS from their 6 cylinder option cars as well.
Exactly. General public won't know the difference between a 5.0 and a V6 even if you told them the car was a "Five-point-oh". They might think you're talking about Hawaii 5-0!!!

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
I'm personally really glad they can't tell the difference, more chance for a SRT to sneak in on a race. I'm with those that have stated they would prefer to be able to mix and match the drive-train with the trim level. Most non-car guys will not know what a Challenger is. We know what the trim levels are but I still have a hard time picking out the different trim levels of Mustangs. Damn little things are every where.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts