Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to the dealership today, and I'm always leary about what I do to my car, and it voiding the warranty. All I've done is add a leather shift boot and a handle that attaches with 3 set screws. This may sound stupid, but I know I've heard some awful stories about how people get screwed for the most minor stuff. And no, it's not a mopar part.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
NO they would not cancel your warranty. They would not warranty the part you put on or any related problem caused by the part you put on, but the rest of your car would be warranted. If you really have a good re pour with your dealer and service department you would be surprised what they will do for you and to keep you happy and coming back

·
Super Moderator
14,930 Posts
You should have no problem with that minor mod.

Any aftermarket performance parts on your vehicle can cause a dealer to suspect that you either drive the car hard or possibly race it. Although they may not void warranties, modifications may raise a red flag when vehicles are in for service. Certain dealerships, however are more "mod-friendly'" than others.

In accorandance with the Maguson-Moss Waranty Act of 1975, a dealer would have to prove that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage. However, if the reason for a parts failure is unclear, a dealer will usually charge you to diagnose the vehicle. If the aftermarket part was not properly installed or a modification led to a component failure, it is within the dealer's right to void the warranty for that part, and you will have to pay for the repairs out of pocket. If the aftermarket parts had nothing to do with the repairs in question, you will be refunded the fee for the diagnosis.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all so much for responding. I can't see how a shifter handle would effect anything else... As far as i can tell, I't strictly cosmetic. But I really appreciate all your input. Thanks again !

Reactions: brampton builder

·
Premium Member
2014 100th Annivesary R/T
517 Posts
Yeah its not a big deal, after buying my 2014 R/T last week, I went directly home and changed the shifter from the leather knob and put my Hurst white ball shifter back on. I was there two days later and the service department guy gave me a thumbs up, said he has always disliked the standard leather shifter.

-Kenny

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I've belonged to many car forums over the years, but I've never read about such worry about warranties as I have on here. Not being disrespectful to those who have concerns about warranty coverage---I'm just surprised to see it being so prevalent on this site.

·
Registered
153 Posts
There needs to be a sticky

There needs to be a stickied post that discusses the Magnusson-Moss warranty act, what it implies, and what mods have been proven to cause damage and therefore actually void warranties whole or partial.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I've belonged to many car forums over the years, but I've never read about such worry about warranties as I have on here. Not being disrespectful to those who have concerns about warranty coverage---I'm just surprised to see it being so prevalent on this site.
I know you meant no disrespect.. But I only asked because I have heard horror stories (cant think of any off the top of my head) about how some dealerships look for the most minor things to find a way to void warranties. I just wanted to be extra cautious. I knew it was a stupid question, but I wanted to be sure.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Bottom line, the dealer would have to prove that what you added/changed caused the failure and most aren't going to devote the resources to it. In the case of a shifter they likely wouldn't even notice unless they had to remove your console for some reason. I wouldn't worry.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts