Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scraped a pot hole REALLY bad this morning, ruined my day completely, but is ultimately my fault. Seems like I broke a bracket. Does the ground effects need to be replaced? What can I do to make the front fascia more durable to prevent an instance such as this in the future( besides being more careful? All advice is very welcome.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
515 Posts
Considering how relatively inexpensive the front chin spoiler is, I'd replace.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
No

Its plastic and the gouges are too deep. You could smooth it with a plastic filler, and paint it. That is what I'd do.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
Holy Hell ! How big of a pothole causes damage like that?

Looks like the bottom is cracked and the top all gouged up.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
yep that is now JUNK.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Replace it - even if you filled it, smoothed, painted, etc., it's going to take probably as much time and money.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Maybe...

Replace it - even if you filled it, smoothed, painted, etc., it's going to take probably as much time and money.
I thought those pieces were about $500. Plastic is easy to work with. Remove the part. Rough sand. Than add putty- generously. Sand to reshape/remove excess putty. Buy "plastic" spray primer and spray paint. I believe you can pull it off, if the piece is not warped or torn.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
FYI, the lower grille extends into the chin spoiler to provide additional support. You may have broken that as well. I slowly tapped a concrete parking block once on a former Challenger I owned and it broke very easily. As I recall, the chin spoiler (for an R/T though) and lower grille came out to about $140.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I do not think that part is originally painted, just raw ABS plastic. Buy a new one and be glad you didn't have one of those NASCAR type extensions on it, it would have been a big mess then.

·
Premium Member
3,645 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Hit something on the freeway, put a small hole in the front of mine, at least I avoided running it over, nowhere near as bad as yours. picked up a new one from a parts supplier on ebay for $130 delivered. I looked for better prices but shipping pushed most of them around $200 Need to get some time to install, have to remove the front to do so. I would be concerned the mounting brackets are torn on yours. Is it just hanging there?

Heres my new one and the only pic you can see the little tear on the passenger side

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Thank you everyone for your input it is much appreciated. Once I get back into town I'll be able to take more pictures of the damage. As of now my options are limited and looks like I'll have to replace the part, I'd love to just work with the plastic and sand it down as one of you suggested (thank you btw) I just do not have the time or resources to do it. Once I get under her for a better look I'll be able to assess the damage more. Second question I have is with the front chin spoiler that I'll be purchasing , would rhino - lining it be a bad idea? Just a thought, and want something more durable than ABS plastic. Thanks to everyone again.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

Thank you everyone for your input it is much appreciated. Once I get back into town I'll be able to take more pictures of the damage. As of now my options are limited and looks like I'll have to replace the part, I'd love to just work with the plastic and sand it down as one of you suggested (thank you btw) I just do not have the time or resources to do it. Once I get under her for a better look I'll be able to assess the damage more. Second question I have is with the front chin spoiler that I'll be purchasing , would rhino - lining it be a bad idea? Just a thought, and want something more durable than ABS plastic. Thanks to everyone again.
Rhino lining would not have helped with the damage you have.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts