Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,498 Posts
Unscrew the schrader valve and let the air out. Screw the schrader valve and inflate the tire with a compressor.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I just filled the tires as needed without having to release the nitrogen. Over time it'll be filled with 100% air but having both in the tire won't have any performance affect. The two main benefit from Nitrogen is that it reduces air lose and more consistent during temp changes so it keeps the tire pressure more consistent.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,708 Posts
Every tire is pretty much filled with Nitrogen anyway. "Air" is basically 80% nitrogen , nothing to do, just keep adding "air" and the worst it will do is drop to 80% mix!

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,209 Posts
May have missed this but I have not come across any requirement to remove the nitrogen before refilling the tire with regular compressed air (ideally from a compressor with good oil and water filters).

'course, adding regular compressed air to a tire filled with nitrogen dilutes the nitrogen and one loses some of the benefit of a tire inflated with nitrogen.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,322 Posts
Nitrogen was the Craze for a while but most to adjust pressure needing to increase is going to drive miles to find a Nitrogen only Shop and be charged 20 to 30 to top off. You might also have to wait for 20 to 30 mins or more if they are crowded. The Emergency Compressors and Air Pumps only add AIR, does not harm a thing to mix them.

·
Registered
358 Posts
nitrogen is larger than oxygen, so the theory is it cannot escape as easily. The machine filters out the oxygen while keeping the nitrogen to fill your tires. I't s bacically an air compressor with a filter that traps the nitrogen and lets the oxygen escape.

I know it's not as popular but I have always had good experience with Nitrogen. Hardly ever needed to add.

As has been said no need to do anything except just top off with air.

·
Registered
16,218 Posts
Might also be better for your TPMs since it's drier.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,324 Posts
Been using it for 22 years in AIRCRAFT TIRES...............ROFL

See no need, a gimmick at best, or UP sell to make profit.

The BETER quality the tire the LESS air it loses, Cause done seen it.

·
Registered
539 Posts
It is a thing in NASCAR racing, even at the late model level, for over 30 years

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pak
285 Posts
No need to worry about anything, just add regular, old-fashioned compressed air. It won't affect your warranty, performance or mpg.

Reactions: btcaub

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
874 Posts
The dealership where I bought my 2015 SRT 392 as a Certified Pre-Owned (supposedly) filled the tires with Nitrogen .... and put a metal chrome valve stem cap on them to prove it.

About 10 months later, those metal chrome caps had just about bonded with the aluminum valve stems. I was fortunate to get the caps off without twisting/breaking the valve stems. I've read of others who were not as fortunate.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Had nitrogen in my first Challenger, I added air with no issues. Nitrogen holds less water & does not expand or contract as fast like regular oxygen.

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Have a nitrogen tank and regulator so there is no issue there. The benifit is as mentioned above and most importantly, no moisture in the system. Noticed over the years that most air compressors have no moisture and oil separators installed to remove such contaminants entering. Had a tank rust out on me once so I kept the drain valve cracked on the bottom of the tank from then on, and installed the separators. Do a little painting on ocassion so they are really necessary...

HOT ROD ON

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I have nitro on my 2 year old wheels and tires. I put air in them once (maybe a few psi). My other cars have air and I put air in every few months. Nitrogen for the win!

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,209 Posts
I have nitro on my 2 year old wheels and tires. I put air in them once (maybe a few psi). My other cars have air and I put air in every few months. Nitrogen for the win!
There is no doubt nitrogen is better than just plain old air but the complexity of dealing with nitrogen filled tires puts me off.

Even with a garage and a tank of suitably pure nitrogen and and proper regulator and hose/nozzle if one needed to add air on a trip -- and it happens if one say leaves a hot area for a colder (mountainous) area. I'd left 100F temperatures in CA and ended up in Flagstaff with overnight lows in the teens. That's an 80F change in temperature.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
972 Posts
I purchased 4 Michelin Defender LTX from COSTCO in Dec 2017. They fill with nitrogen and include rotation, rebalance, and refilling in purchase price. Tires now have 58K miles. Swing from hot summer temperature to cold winter temperature is 4-5 PSI at most. All 4 tires normally read exactly same pressure by TPMS after a mile or 2 of driving. Tire pressure has never been adjusted. I'm very happy with the nitrogen filled tires but not sure if I would go with nitrogen if COSTCO didn't make it so easy.

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
848 Posts
Every tire is pretty much filled with Nitrogen anyway. "Air" is basically 80% nitrogen , nothing to do, just keep adding "air" and the worst it will do is drop to 80% mix!
correct answer. Just a gimmic. If you buy into I have cold air kit that will add 30hp to your car id gladly take off and sell to you for 300 bucks. thats 10 bucks a hp. Wont beat that anywhere.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts