Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wifes Jeep Patriot has remote start, so i start the car and to enter I have to unlock the car, put the key in the ignition and turn the key to get the car out of park, other wise the car wont move.

Now I have a 2010 challenger with a 6 speed, while i know I cant remote start it. Every morning in the winter i have the fob in my pocket go out to the car and start it, then go in the house for 10-15 minutes while it warms up.

Question, if I left the fob in the house could i drive the car since its already started, and if so, how far? Would the car shut down since the fob is not detected?

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
If I remember correct this actually happened to a member and when he turned the car off he was stranded...

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
I believe you can drive it as far as you can go but once you turn it off, that's it.

On the new 2011's, I believe the key fob will have the ability to kill the engine. So, if you're warming up your car or getting gas and someone hops in and begins driving away, you can kill the engine to stop him.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't know exactly how the Challenger key system works buy my SRT-4 has a transponder key. If I go out and warm up the car it won't let me lock the car manually but I can lock the doors if I take the FOB and use it to lock the doors. The FOB does not have any smarts, just the transponder key. I can go and open the car with the FOB and leave it home as long as the receiver can read the transponder key all is well. In other words I don't need the FOB just the Key.

If someone tries to steal the car with just a harware key the car will shut down after 2 seconds. You have to go to a dealer with the key codes or VIN # to get a new transponder key made.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I know if you remote start it the engine shuts off in 10 min. and when the FOB isn't in between the doors warning comes up that the FOB isn't there (something like that) and I've heard that that starts a timer and the engine would shut off but have never tried it.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I've sat in my 6-speed SRT and started it up, then took the key in the house while the car warmed up for about 5 minutes. It never shut off.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I've sat in my 6-speed SRT and started it up, then took the key in the house while the car warmed up for about 5 minutes. It never shut off.
I would think they would use the same timer as the remote start and that's 10 min. but never tried it and my cars not here right now to find out.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I set at my breakfast table enjoying a last cup of coffee. Remote start the car in my garage,remote opening the garage door, to let the exhaust out while car is warming, go shave dress and ready to go to work. The car is warmed up and ready to take me. You gotta love it.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Last summer I started my car drove it without the FOB for a few hours (never turning it off) and never had an issue.
If you are driving around without the FOB and you shut it down you will never get it re-started without that FOB.
There was never a "timed out" to shut it down.

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
The car will run until you turn it off. They do that so you won't crash if your fob battery dies on you. I guess they don't want the car to shut down on the highway at 70.

Of course you have a 50% chance that it died on your way *to* somewhere versus on your way home, so you'd still be stuck, but not (potentially and legally) dead.

BTW, this is an interesting article on how some researchers took advantage of that fact...

How Hackers Can Use Smart Keys To Steal Cars

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I set at my breakfast table enjoying a last cup of coffee. Remote start the car in my garage,remote opening the garage door, to let the exhaust out while car is warming, go shave dress and ready to go to work. The car is warmed up and ready to take me. You gotta love it.
Tinstar, I don't mean to patronize you but you should never start your car in the garage even with the door open. Your vehicle should always be backed out and left to warm up on the drive way. Carbon Monoxide is odorless and colorless and there are many cases of accidental death from just this sort of practice.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Spencer,

That was a good article and demonstrates a definite weakness in the FOB's design.
However the "hackers" needed to be within a certain distance of the actual cars FOB to amplify it's signal and start/steal the car.

If our (and I suspect most) FOB's are far enough for the actual car these hackers would not be able to "grab" the FOB's signal to amplify and the car would remain safe.
This is what I get out of that interesting article.

Just keep your FOB's far enough from your cars folks.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
The car will run until you turn it off. They do that so you won't crash if your fob battery dies on you. I guess they don't want the car to shut down on the highway at 70.

Of course you have a 50% chance that it died on your way *to* somewhere versus on your way home, so you'd still be stuck, but not (potentially and legally) dead.

BTW, this is an interesting article on how some researchers took advantage of that fact...

You wouldn't be stuck, you simply pop your start button off and use the fob as a key.

·
Super Moderator
14,139 Posts
The car will run until you turn it off. They do that so you won't crash if your fob battery dies on you. I guess they don't want the car to shut down on the highway at 70. BTW, this is an interesting article on how some researchers took advantage of that fact...
That's why I supplemented the security on my SRT with a relatively simple and inexpensive, but proven, device- a Ravelco. Highly recommended. Check out their web site and learn more about how to protect your Challenger. :thumbsup:

Ravelco Anti Theft Device

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
...However the "hackers" needed to be within a certain distance of the actual cars FOB to amplify it's signal and start/steal the car...
I believe they are thinking of a scenario where a pair of thieves see you leave the car after parking. One follows you with the 'capture' side transceiver (according to the manual the fob has a range of 60' or so, call it 15' when it's in your pocket). Meanwhile the other thief busts a window and holds the transmit-side unit up and pushes the start button (or turns the key w/ a piece of square plastic).

A lot of cars would be even easier, since they have a door button to press or just unlock when you get within so many feet of the car. At least on ours you would have to press the unlock button (or break a window) to get in.

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
You wouldn't be stuck, you simply pop your start button off and use the fob as a key.
Sorry, but you would be. The transmitter in the FOB is the key.. not the actual piece of plastic. And the build-in 'valet' key will only work on door/trunk/glovebox locks, not the ignition.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I believe they are thinking of a scenario where a pair of thieves see you leave the car after parking. One follows you with the 'capture' side transceiver (according to the manual the fob has a range of 60' or so, call it 15' when it's in your pocket). Meanwhile the other thief busts a window and holds the transmit-side unit up and pushes the start button (or turns the key w/ a piece of square plastic).

A lot of cars would be even easier, since they have a door button to press or just unlock when you get within so many feet of the car. At least on ours you would have to press the unlock button (or break a window) to get in.
The 2011's have the button on the doors to unlock the car if you're close enough.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
So, if I get this right, bottom line is: If a guy is within 25 (or so) feet of you and following you around with a laptop.
1) Turn aroung
2) Smash his laptop
3) Smash him
4) Rush back to your car
5) Smash the other dirtbag
6) Go back about your regular buisness

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Question, if I left the fob in the house could i drive the car since its already started, and if so, how far? Would the car shut down since the fob is not detected?
....in my '10 R/T, if you remote start the car, the doors automatically lock if they are not already. Also, even though the car is started, I cannot drive away unless the FOB is detected and I press the start button. I guess if the FOB is within that range, I could drive away but I have never tried. However, in most cases it needs to be pretty darned close before it will detect it. ....certainly closer than what it takes to remote start it or unlock the doors.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
....in my '10 R/T, if you remote start the car, the doors automatically lock if they are not already. Also, even though the car is started, I cannot drive away unless the FOB is detected and I press the start button. I guess if the FOB is within that range, I could drive away but I have never tried. However, in most cases it needs to be pretty darned close before it will detect it. ....certainly closer than what it takes to remote start it or unlock the doors.
It's supose to need to be within the door pliars to be detected for what your talking about and in the situation your talking about the car shuts off in 10 min if you don't get in and drive it. I know that's a fact on mine because every cold morning I start the 10 Challenger RT Classic with the remote start at 0630 when I go to work and my wife doesn't go to work till 7 and it has already shut it's self off but the engine is warm and the frost melted.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts