Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,020 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It is possible, guys on the HP tuners forum have swapped out trans in rams...have not seen a Challenger though. You would need the trans, drive shaft, trans crossmember, flywheel for an auto, wiring harness, reprogram the PCM, linkages/bezels for center console (can be done with HP tuners), possibly a different rear cradle as there is a different P/N for a manual and auto, the BCM would need to be repogrammed for "press brake to start instead of clutch" and to get the cluster to show PRND (can be done with alfaOBD but you would need to compare the read of an automatic) and to get the ABS reconfigured to a different chassis type.

Not worth it unless you have a donor car on the cheap and the tools like HP tuners or alfaOBD to do the programming.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
21,699 Posts
@Chllngrswpr did the opposite swap, auto to manual. He may be able to add some info

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2009 RT A8 & 2013" RT M6
39 Posts
I have done this job before when I was younger with my 1st husband and we changed an automatic to a manual, it was a job in a half to do and pretty frustrating. Worth it in the end for what we wanted to do but it was probably easier to just go buy the vehicle. Now, we had a donner vehicle to do it with.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,020 Posts
I have done this job before when I was younger with my 1st husband and we changed an automatic to a manual, it was a job in a half to do and pretty frustrating. Worth it in the end for what we wanted to do but it was probably easier to just go buy the vehicle. Now, we had a donner vehicle to do it with.
Probably before electronic transmissions became the standard? Back in the day all you had was a kickdown cable, trans cooler lines, speedo cable, bell housing and drive shaft spline to think of. Nowadays you need to be able to program modules to get things to work and usually the settings are all trial and error (if you have the tools). Just trying to get launch control enabled on my non-STP challenger took weeks figuring out (initially I thought it was not possible) because there was nothing on the internet that showed what changes are needed. I'd say converting to a manual would be way easier as a manual trans requires no communication with the PCM/BCM except for clutch switch. Having a donor car would make things easier to swap in an automatic (you can read the modules and compare configurations). I have spent months tinkering with the PCM/BCM and it is not obvious or intuitive as to what changes should be made unless you have something to compare to. Considering the price difference between an auto and manual is ~$2000 just not worth it (although really depends on the trade-in loss). There is a member on here converting an SXT to a HC and it is not an easy task of unbolt and swap. He is even a mechanic by trade and has access to witech equipment.

·
Premium Member
2009 RT A8 & 2013" RT M6
39 Posts
Yeah, I cant imagine the work and the knowledge you need to do such a job. I loved being under the hood in the old days. Today I couldn't touch anything cuz of all the electronics involved with everything. I have great memories from my younger years with my 1st husband. We were always working on something. His brother was a body guy and did great work so it was alot of fun.

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
713 Posts
After the time & $$$ spent you are better off to trade your car for a Challenger with an auto.

·
Registered
2011 R/T STP M6
66 Posts
Is it possible to switch a 2016 manual Challenger R/T to an automatic? Just wanted to know if this is possible and the price range if I ever decide to do it.
I was looking to do the opposite when I had my Mustang and the cost wasn't worth it, even if you have a donor car. The only way I can see it being worth it is if you have a donor car and you're willing to do the work yourself. But you'll have to figure out how much time you're willing to spend on it and what that time is worth.

You can trade in your M6 for an auto of the same year if you can find one at a dealer near you. At the end of the day, after trade prices, taxes, registration etc., you're looking at ~$5k+ loss if you decide to do it at a dealer.

If I was in your position, I'd sell mine to a private party to get as close to the actual retail value as possible and buy the auto from another private party. You'll still have to pay registration fees and taxes on it but the overall cost will be drastically less when you factor out what the dealer will actually give you for a trade-in.

·
Registered
2017 T/A 5.7 A8 front and rear strut braces frame connectors
1,294 Posts
plus 1 on just trading the car for the car with an A8 with all the electronics weigh your options do the math on the parts cost and your time.in the long run it’s cheaper I wanted to get more hp out of my 5.7 it’s easier to just go get a scat.unless you like doing that kind of thing and your set up for this type of job.ive got an A8 now and love it and would never go back to the manual transmission

1 - 10 of 10 Posts