Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
16,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Believe there's a new law in Canada now that requires the tail lights to be on with the DRL's so for 2021, there's this new headlight switch.

No OFF setting at all, only Park, Auto and ON.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,181 Posts
I've always known Canadians are bright ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
It's an annoying switch. I'd rather be able to decide for myself if I want my lights on or not.

Unfortunately, people driving at night without headlights on is a very common thing here, and it's getting worse. I see it all the time. So unfortunately I get why the government wanted to push this.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,181 Posts
Any vehicle with daytime running lights will have to also turn on the taillights when the DRLs come on. Headlights, taillights, and side marker lights will have to turn on automatically when it's dark out. The dashboard has to stay dark until headlights are turned on, to make sure the driver realizes if their lights are off

A Guy

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
It's an annoying switch. I'd rather be able to decide for myself if I want my lights on or not.

Unfortunately, people driving at night without headlights on is a very common thing here, and it's getting worse. I see it all the time. So unfortunately I get why the government wanted to push this.
Way to justify Government overreach.

·
Premium Member
5,173 Posts
Welcome to the world of the nanny state. More control, less personal choice. After all, we are too stupid to remember to turn our lights on, right?

·
Registered
16,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After all, we are too stupid to remember to turn our lights on, right?
Yeah apparently, many are. Especially now that every car's dashboard lights up whether the lights are on or not. Saw three cars last night within 10 minutes with only their DRL's on.

·
Premium Member
5,173 Posts
Yeah apparently, many are. Especially now that every car's dashboard lights up whether the lights are on or not. Saw three cars last night within 10 minutes with only their DRL's on.

So again, the few ruin it for the many? I disagree with that logic process. Hold the idiots responsible for their actions. If you saw it, so does LE. Why don't they do their job? For fear of demonetization by the MSM. IMO. Nuff' said.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Way to justify Government overreach.
Isn't your country the one trying to push drunk driver detection tech that doesn't exist? And much like every other instance of government overreach when it comes to the auto industry, it starts in the US and spreads to Canada. This is just one exception to that.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Isn't your country the one trying to push drunk driver detection tech that doesn't exist? And much like every other instance of government overreach when it comes to the auto industry, it starts in the US and spreads to Canada. This is just one exception to that.
True. But it sure feels good to exercise Freedom rolling down the highway with my friend in my pocket and Radar up front. Lights off in daytime if I choose. Just keep em rolling out of Brampton.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger SXT, Octane Red Metallic, Ruby Red/Black Int.
325 Posts
This change took effect Sept. 1. Drivers of a certain age will remember that dash lights didn't come on when you started your car unlike today. There is at least a generation that won't remember that. It's too bad this had to be legislated but would any of you want to run into one of these drivers at night because they forgot to turn on their lights? Just this week I had a black jeep grand Cherokee pull out of his driveway in front of me with no lights in the dark, thank goodness I was able to slow down in time but it was a pucker moment for sure.

Reactions: fyrdude

·
Registered
947 Posts
My 90 VW Gti was so advanced, it had taillights come on with the daytime running lights. About time the rest of the makers caught up.
As for dash lights, they should be dark and only on if you turned on your lights. They underestimated the stupidity of drivers that would simply not turn lights on if their dash was lit up.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger R/T Hellraisin M6
418 Posts
Seatbelts are mandatory now?! Ugh, why do these idiots have to ruin it for the rest of us? I get to decide how safe i want to be when i drive, just like my motorcycles!

Traffic lights?! Excuse me, i don't need a machine to tell me when to stop and when to go - there is a reason why yielding method has worked for so many years!

Road lanes? Haha what a joke - now i have to be herded like cattle because some idiot doesn't know how to avoid hitting other cars. Government overreach is insane!

Driver's license? What's next, license to drink alcohol? License to ride a bicycle? Unbelievable how far government would go to maintain its power!

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Seatbelts are mandatory now?! Ugh, why do these idiots have to ruin it for the rest of us? I get to decide how safe i want to be when i drive, just like my motorcycles!

Traffic lights?! Excuse me, i don't need a machine to tell me when to stop and when to go - there is a reason why yielding method has worked for so many years!

Road lanes? Haha what a joke - now i have to be herded like cattle because some idiot doesn't know how to avoid hitting other cars. Government overreach is insane!

Driver's license? What's next, license to drink alcohol? License to ride a bicycle? Unbelievable how far government would go to maintain its power!
Will you still be making these jokes when you get taxed by the km? When you reach your CO2 limit for the week and your self driving car won't let you go to the grocery store? Or when your car alerts the authorities when it detects that you said something that is now considered offensive?

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I'll continue making these jokes for as long as the doomsayer "mah freedums!" crowd gets triggered.
That's the problem with it. The people who are right about these things, hate being right. They don't get to take pleasure in it, because they think about what kind of society we're leaving for future generations. Believe me, I wish I could just disconnect myself from reality and laugh about it too. It would be a lot easier.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So again, the few ruin it for the many? I disagree with that logic process. Hold the idiots responsible for their actions. If you saw it, so does LE. Why don't they do their job? For fear of demonetization by the MSM. IMO. Nuff' said.
Unfortunately living in a civilized world tends to lead to catering to the lowest common denominator. It would be nice to just have LE go out and ticket these people, but in areas like mine, police are overworked and understaffed and are too busy responding to violent crimes or idiots flipping their cars the first time it rains than to go out and ticket our average Joe who forgot how to operate his lights.

·
Premium Member
5,173 Posts
Unfortunately living in a civilized world tends to lead to catering to the lowest common denominator. It would be nice to just have LE go out and ticket these people, but in areas like mine, police are overworked and understaffed and are too busy responding to violent crimes or idiots flipping their cars the first time it rains than to go out and ticket our average Joe who forgot how to operate his lights.
Yes, it is unfortunate. But there has to be a limit to the intrusiveness or we will all end up wrapped in bubble wrap and locked in our houses.

Reactions: Dennis H

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Pitch Black A8
1,285 Posts
Yes, it is unfortunate. But there has to be a limit to the intrusiveness or we will all end up wrapped in bubble wrap and locked in our houses.
Or being transported by automated vehicles that check your status to be allowed outside your living space before you step outside. The next generation's will have to deal with that, I'll be dead by then. o_O

1 - 20 of 45 Posts