Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went down to the dealership today to price out a Hellcat, came to $68,000 and change (although no orders can be officially placed).

Disappointed to learn that us Canadians are getting screwed with the 6-speed manual AGAIN as the 8-speed is standard and the manual is a $1000 option.

I took a 2014 SRT Grand Cherokee with an 8-speed auto for a test drive to get an idea of how the new torque-flight feels and I was impressed!

Very smooth transmission, you don't even feel the shifts and it always seems like you're in the 'sweet spot'.

The 2014 SRT Jeep felt much quicker than my 2012 SRT 392 but the paddle shifters were a pain in the ass (too many gears) and I felt really disconnected from the car. It constantly shifts all over the place, which is fine, but best leave the paddles alone and let Skynet take care of shifts. The little 'joy stick' style shifter in these cars is frustrating to use and I wanted to rip it off and chuck it out the window.

The steering wheel in the Jeep is the same as the Hellcat and it feels SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD!

In the end, I'll still be going with a 6M Hellcat even if it is slower, I don't care. I enjoy cruising around the city more rowing through the gears myself but I can see the excitement around this 8-speed is pretty well deserved.

Still sucks I have to PAY $1000 EXTRA to slow down my Hellcat. :SM145:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Challengers have he automatic standard up here since they came out. It has always been reversed here.

But $1000 is not bad considering they have to pay $2000 for the auto down south...

What baffles me is the $1695 destination charge

·
Registered
353 Posts
Have you seen the size of Canada....it's twice the size of the lower 48. Hence twice the destination charge. Besides I don't know how many dogs you gotta have pullin a sled to deliver to Nunavut, but it's gotta be a lot for sure eh!
Hawaii is 1200 or so destination charge, how do you explain that one

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hawaii is 1200 or so destination charge, how do you explain that one
Trained Dolphins pulling barges from the West Coast eat A LOT of fish?

Actually it's my understanding that the destination charge is averaged across a given nation, so I'd be interested in having that Hawaii quote verified.

Anyway, Try ordering auto parts from a supplier in the US to be sent to Canada. My Brother does it all the time and the freight charge to Prince George is 5 times what it is to have the same part sent to me in Washington. I know gas isn't 5 times more expensive so who knows.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I love how everyone keeps saying that the 6 speed will be slower. Cause putting a manual behind 707 hp is going to make it feel like it only now has 500 hp? The car is still going to be plenty fast with a 6 speed. When you talking about 1/4 times yeah ok the number is going to be better with the A8. But either 1/4 or road course with the right driver who knows how to properly shift gears the 6 speed will do just fine hanging with the A8.

Buy what makes you happy.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Well, at least they're being consistent. 6 speed owners up here have been screwed since 2009. I had to pay an extra 2K for my 2010 6 speed 4 years ago.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I love how everyone keeps saying that the 6 speed will be slower. Cause putting a manual behind 707 hp is going to make it feel like it only now has 500 hp? The car is still going to be plenty fast with a 6 speed. When you talking about 1/4 times yeah ok the number is going to be better with the A8. But either 1/4 or road course with the right driver who knows how to properly shift gears the 6 speed will do just fine hanging with the A8.

Buy what makes you happy.
Believe me, I'm as pro-stick shift as they get, and I have to admit that the "butt dyno" is telling me the 5500lb Jeep SRT with 8-speed felt more lively than my 6M 392. Doesn't mean my 6-speed feels slow at all, just that the Jeep felt quicker and was always in the best part of the power band.

I have no doubt the Hellcat in 6M form will feel like a damn rocketship but that auto 8 is going to be pretty slick in this car.

Don't think of it as slow vs fast, it's more fast vs faster.

I hate to even admit this but after driving one, I have to give it the credit it deserves.

·
Registered
207 Posts
On dodge.ca , Standard is $2000 for the 6 SP.

We as Canadians are getting a better deal on the Auto, since the US version comes standard with the manual and they have to pay $2000 for the auto.

We only have to pay an extra $1000 for the manual now.

Wil

·
Registered
353 Posts
Trained Dolphins pulling barges from the West Coast eat A LOT of fish?

Actually it's my understanding that the destination charge is averaged across a given nation, so I'd be interested in having that Hawaii quote verified.

Anyway, Try ordering auto parts from a supplier in the US to be sent to Canada. My Brother does it all the time and the freight charge to Prince George is 5 times what it is to have the same part sent to me in Washington. I know gas isn't 5 times more expensive so who knows.
Actually it's $1095 Text Line Font Document Paper

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I, as well had to pay the 2k for the 6 speed option. I'm glad I did.

Looks like they're giving us a deal now lmao.

The wife and I have decided that we will go after the hellcat. I asked about which transmission we should go for. She was floored when I mentioned the automatic. God I love a woman that can row the gears and prefers it.

Not sure where you guys are, but when I went to a high performance tire shop, they were surprised to see a 6 speed SRT. Out of 100 they've done, mine was the first they had seen.

I guess too many didn't want to pay 2k more?

Now the fight over color is on going. My sublime w/satin hood vs. her ivory tri pearl.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Went down to the dealership today to price out a Hellcat, came to $68,000 and change (although no orders can be officially placed).
Disappointed to learn that us Canadians are getting screwed with the 6-speed manual AGAIN as the 8-speed is standard and the manual is a $1000 option.
So,....will you still have to pay a gas guzzler's tax if you have to pay the $1,000 for the manual transmission?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Yes, I am.
Ok assuming you know Uncle Sam can't tax a Canadian citizen who is a resident of Canada, I will answer this way. He will not pay the US gas guzzler tax, just like you won't pay GST or PST to the Canadian Government.

Reading between the lines, Perhaps what you were really asking is, Do the Canadian Governments (either federal or provincial) have a similar tax they impose on their auto buyers? I have no idea on that one for sure, but I've never heard of a federal tax like that north of Detroit, and as far as I know none of the western provinces have anything like that either. Perhaps this is an example of how Canada is in many ways becoming more fiscally conservative than our current left leaning 51/49 split.

·
Registered
373 Posts
hey ironside, did you go to windsor or provincial ? and how was your service ? i bought my sxt from windsor and the service was okay but could have been better.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Reading between the lines, Perhaps what you were really asking is, Do the Canadian Governments (either federal or provincial) have a similar tax they impose on their auto buyers? I have no idea on that one for sure, but I've never heard of a federal tax like that north of Detroit, and as far as I know none of the western provinces have anything like that either. Perhaps this is an example of how Canada is in many ways becoming more fiscally conservative than our current left leaning 51/49 split.
Yes, we do have a gas guzzler tax up here, but it's called 'green levy'. When I bought mine 4 years ago, I didn't have to pay the tax since the gas mileage on the 6 speed cars put them just above the minimum. The automatic cars had the tax though.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
hey ironside, did you go to windsor or provincial ? and how was your service ? i bought my sxt from windsor and the service was okay but could have been better.
I bought my 392 @ Provincial but get it serviced @ Windsor Chrysler for convenience.

Service at ANY of the local dealerships sucks pretty hard though.

Yes, we do have a gas guzzler tax up here, but it's called 'green levy'. When I bought mine 4 years ago, I didn't have to pay the tax since the gas mileage on the 6 speed cars put them just above the minimum. The automatic cars had the tax though.
I think this year the manuals will have a HIGHER "green levy" than the autos (since they have better mileage this time around).

·
Registered
432 Posts
I think this year the manuals will have a HIGHER "green levy" than the autos (since they have better mileage this time around).
yep, and in the 392 cars, there probably won't be any levy whatsoever, no matter which transmission one picks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts