Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I think i'm having some issues with my mpg this is in km's because im from Ontario... In summer I got around 480km from a full take - the gas warning light depending on my driving habits... I recently brought my car to the dealer about a possible brake issue (another thread) I also asked them about my gas mpg because the last 3 months I get 280km Full tank - empty light... which i think is complete BS because my old truck (95 half ton chevy) got better mileage then my V6 Challenger.... They however told me there is nothing wrong with my car all seems good.... Seriously does this car get that bad mileage in the winter?

By the way for some more info... I don't drive that often because i am currently laid off and because of that I make sure to warm up my car at least 5 minutes before driving it depending on how far i have to go.

I also have a AFE Stage 2 CAI and a Magna Flow catback 16500..

If anyone is from northern ontario please tell me if you get this kind of mpg on your chally

Thanks Mike

·
Registered
448 Posts
I've been watching mine and it's pretty consistent between summer and winter. Your warm up is probably doing the damage to the mileage. When you warm up the car, you're really only heating the motor up. Used to have no troubles driving in the Alberta cold by just starting, quick minute of idle, and then going. Assuming the block heater was working.

LOL Come to think of it, do they sell SRT8's with block heaters in Canada?

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
I have noticed a little less mpg in the winter. In Chicago the gas is a winter blend that may cause the slight decline. Agree that the warm up may be a factor in the your mpg. You could try reseting the mpg after you warm up. Take a ride on the highway after you reset to see what your mpg is while driving.

·
Registered
387 Posts
All my vehicles have that issue in winter.
Winter gas blend has additives so thats less gas that your actually have in your tank
Tire pressures are greatly reduced affecting gas milage and depending how cold loss of fully rounded tires and using different winter tires affect milage.
My evic shows 26 lbs and after 20 minutes driving rises up to 31 lbs in the tires almost running flat.
Idling at high idle doesn't help as it better to drive away after a minute as the car is continually running rich while cold.Thats 5 minute loss of driving milage distance every time you start your car.Could add up to a significant time of half hour or more and how far can you drive in half hour or more 50 or even a 100 km distance.
Some cases as loads such as rear defroster,full lighting.heated mirrors, heated seats,heater blower.
The small resistance of tranny oils,rear end oils awaiting warm ups .
Smaller things like aerodynamics affected in cold than heat and was your car still covered in some snow and the road conditions such as driving more stop and go due to ice/snow.
These all add up so wait till spring to recheck your milage.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Most gasoline in Oklahoma is either E10(10% ethanol)..or the plain old gasoline containing little ethanol.

The E10 fuel doesn't achieve the fuel economy plain gasoline does. E10 getting 3-5 mpg less from what I've seen in our vehicles.

Different drivers..and different driving conditions differ on fuel economy too. My wife gets approx 21-24 mpg..and I get 25-29 mpg(calculated mpg). My wife doing mostly city driving..and my driving mostly longer highway drives. This is in the 2010 SE Challenger.

Ethanol containing gasoline just will not achieve the same fuel economy gasoline will.

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
Idling, spinning tires,etc. That's what happening to your mpg.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts