Votes: 28 56.0%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The challenger.
Canadian. Or American.
Built in Brampton Ontario. Canada (If i'm correct, still sort of a noob so don't hate me too much if i am wrong..) if i'm wrong feel free to delete this someone. XP
So personally that classifies the car as Canadian to me...
But people may think differently. SO WHATS YOUR OPINION?

Edit: Or American Canadian if you wish. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
Let's just say between design and parts and assembly, it's a true North American made muscle car.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
that is like saying that the VW beetle is mexican. the challenger is an american car. i don't even think there are any canadian cars anymore. the only canadian car i can think of is the bricklin.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Oh, heck; I thought was a poll to see if we were Canadian or American; not the car. Doh!

·
Registered
236 Posts
It's an American car. Wherever it's built doesn't make it ''from that nationality''.

Well, now that :(fiat:( owns Chrysler, you could almost say it's an italian car... :((((((((

·
Registered
978 Posts
It's an American car. Wherever it's built doesn't make it ''from that nationality''.
Not necessarily true... depends on the product.

I don't know if there are any guitar players out there but my favorite brand is "Ibanez" which is based in Japan.

Yet, if you buy a Korean made Ibanez the quality is junk compared to their top-end Japanese guitars.

So they become "Japanese Ibanez" or "Korean Ibanez"

In the case of a car, i'm not sure the same logic holds true, but something to think about!

Our two countries are relatively similar culturally and rest assured there's nothing to be ashamed of in regards to Canadian craftsmanship!

I'd be lying though if I didn't shudder a tad when people talk about our beloved Hemi's being built in such a back assward country like Mexico... :disgust:

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Toyota's are more American, in almost anyway one can measure it, than our Challengers. Built in Canada, engine from Mexico, chassis and electronics from Europe. The company itself is now owned by Fiat of Italy, the United States Government who borrowed money from China, and the two unions, one of which resides in Canada. I'm so glad I bought post Damler/Mercedes and pre-bankruptcy Challenger!

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
well the HEMI motor is made in Mexico so is it Mexinadian?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Toyota's are more American, in almost anyway one can measure it, than our Challengers. Built in Canada, engine from Mexico, chassis and electronics from Europe. The company itself is now owned by Fiat of Italy, the United States Government who borrowed money from China, and the two unions, one of which resides in Canada.
....and as we're finding out, pigments in some of the paint from Japan.

Canadian or American? ....whatever helps you sleep at night.

·
Super Moderator
14,730 Posts
Very few products are manufactured in the U.S. today. However, I would say that it is an American car based on the location of the corporate office.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Very few products are manufactured in the U.S. today. However, I would say that it is an American car based on the location of the corporate office.
So the Aveo which was designed and built by Daewoo in Korea is an American car since GM's corporate office is in the US and it's sold here as a Chevrolet?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Technically, Canada is part of North AMERICA just like the good ol' U. S. of America.

So American is correct.

I know what you were getting at though. Cars.com lists the Challenger as 56% domestic content; the Camaro and Mustang are at 60% domestic.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Technically, Canada is part of North AMERICA just like the good ol' U. S. of America.

So American is correct.

I know what you were getting at though. Cars.com lists the Challenger as 56% domestic content; the Camaro and Mustang are at 60% domestic.
In the April 2011 issue of Car and Driver, they looked at what constitutes an "American" car. They said:

...even if a vehicle is made by an American company by American workers, it's not necessarily an American car, at least according to our government. By Uncle Sam's reckoning, if 75 percent (by value) or more of a car's parts comes from the U.S. or Canada, it's considered a domestic product; less than that, and it's not.
Then they list the "2011 U.S./Canada Part Content" for every car and truck built on the North American continent and sold in the U.S. The Challenger is listed as having 70% U.S./Canadian content. The Mustang has 65% and the Camaro has 66%.

So by the government's standards, none of these are "American" cars.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts