Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in Dec, saw in Autoweek an article about the 392 cars. I have always been a sports car driver, and "handling" is important to me. Reading not only about the bigger Hemi, but about the handling upgrades, i promptly went to my dealer near Charlotte, and put down a deposit. Then began to read this forum, and pulled up my Blue/White car on the link to the production information. Checked it often daily, sometimes getting up at 0300 just to see if it had moved along. It was built 20 Jan. Then to the Windsor folks for stripes and whatever else they do to the car.

I kept watching video's of SRT's, full of anticipation. My first new car, in '69, was a 440 Charger R/T, which I took to Germany. That big Dodge, of all my cars over the years, was always my favorite (I sold it to a SGT who wrecked it, replacing it for some reason with a VW Sqareback, probably the family thing).

After 10 years and over 140K miles in my beloved Superformance Cobra replica, i decided to sell it, and get something a bit more practical. I was going back to my roots, so to speak.

But today, after my IE has sat since 31 Jan at Ground Effects, Windsor, with a simple tag on the vehicle status report of "Hold Release", and something about "special authority to move", i demanded that my dealer tell me what was up with my car. Others on this forum have their 6 speed cars.

I wondered if there was some factory change holding up my car, but since they are all pretty much the same, why ship some, and hold mine up. Or more worrisome to me, it had been damaged in transport, and was hung up for that issue.

Drove up to the dealer after work today, all he could (or would) tell me was that no one at Dodge would tell him anything, other than it could be weeks to perhaps a month or more, without any explanation to give to me.

I would image that if you talk to the right person, Dodge knows why my car is in a special hold status, but no one wants me to know.

So, got my deposit back, and told him he could sell the car eventually to whomever he wished. Told him I had bought two cars from his dealership in the past. He expressed no sense of remorse over being able to sell the IE to the next customer.

So, I have decided to go back to my other, original choice. My son is a Porsche driver, so he is looking for a recent 997 for me. Which is what my wife wants anyway. Not many people cross shop an SRT8 and a Porsche, but I have given up on the Dodge, at least for now.

I still think they are an incredibly handsome car, and still admire them greatly when i see them out on the road. I appreciate this forum for the help it has given me, and will close my interaction with Dodge and all of you with my customary wish:

All the best....

·
Registered
653 Posts
Sorry to hear. We're all pretty sick of Dodge's lack of information given to the consumer on their own cars, as well as the experiences that we've had with our respective dealers, which has been far less than helpful. I hope that you'll drive down the road one day and spot a 392 ( IE or not) on a dealership lot and fall (back) in love.
Sorry to see you go and good luck with whatever car you do choose, hopefully you'll decide to stay active on the forum.
Harrison

·
Registered
726 Posts
Probably a wise choice. I too love the Porsche marque and always have. Decided the only way to fully enjoy their performance levels is to buy new which is out of the question for me. So, I drive and love my Chally in the color I desire with more equipment/accessories than I could ask for. I admire your straightforward manner and wish you all the best with whatever you decide to get. RR

·
Registered
49 Posts
Like you I was excited by getting an SRT8 IE, plus it's gonna be my first muscle car, but have to admit the shine has been taken off it by the unforgiveable wait. Dodge's logistics are a f*ing joke. Funnily enough I've been toying with not waiting any longer and getting a Porsche. My car also sat for 2 weeks on hold at Ground Effects but is now at least in Michigan. If it arrives damaged in anyway I'll be very tempted to walk and buy a Porsche. My finance is sorted (not Dodge) so I can buy what I like.
One thing I will say though, is try not to be disheartened by the negative stuff online. A lot of people online see the negative in things rather than the positive. Wife and I always have always wanted a 911, so if you get a Porsche I'd love to see the pics. All the best, Mariner1

·
Registered
105 Posts
Regarding the delays...

Regarding the shipping delays on the 2011s - There is a good reason why they are/were delayed. There are a few forum members who know exactly why as well, but it wouldn't be in their/Dodge's best interest to share that information. Its that simple. If your car shows up and it is as promised you have nothing to worry about. It may have taken longer than you thought it would, but stuff happens.

If waiting 4-8 months after you've ordered a car isn't something you're interested in, don't do it. Get one off the lot. There are a lot of IEs sitting on dealer lots unsold at or below MSRP. If the OP actually wanted one, they are there to be had.

He changed his mind before it arrived, and that's fine too.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Back in Dec, saw in Autoweek an article about the 392 cars. I have always been a sports car driver, and "handling" is important to me. Reading not only about the bigger Hemi, but about the handling upgrades, i promptly went to my dealer near Charlotte, and put down a deposit. Then began to read this forum, and pulled up my Blue/White car on the link to the production information. Checked it often daily, sometimes getting up at 0300 just to see if it had moved along. It was built 20 Jan. Then to the Windsor folks for stripes and whatever else they do to the car.

I kept watching video's of SRT's, full of anticipation. My first new car, in '69, was a 440 Charger R/T, which I took to Germany. That big Dodge, of all my cars over the years, was always my favorite (I sold it to a SGT who wrecked it, replacing it for some reason with a VW Sqareback, probably the family thing).

After 10 years and over 140K miles in my beloved Superformance Cobra replica, i decided to sell it, and get something a bit more practical. I was going back to my roots, so to speak.

But today, after my IE has sat since 31 Jan at Ground Effects, Windsor, with a simple tag on the vehicle status report of "Hold Release", and something about "special authority to move", i demanded that my dealer tell me what was up with my car. Others on this forum have their 6 speed cars.

I wondered if there was some factory change holding up my car, but since they are all pretty much the same, why ship some, and hold mine up. Or more worrisome to me, it had been damaged in transport, and was hung up for that issue.

Drove up to the dealer after work today, all he could (or would) tell me was that no one at Dodge would tell him anything, other than it could be weeks to perhaps a month or more, without any explanation to give to me.

I would image that if you talk to the right person, Dodge knows why my car is in a special hold status, but no one wants me to know.

So, got my deposit back, and told him he could sell the car eventually to whomever he wished. Told him I had bought two cars from his dealership in the past. He expressed no sense of remorse over being able to sell the IE to the next customer.

So, I have decided to go back to my other, original choice. My son is a Porsche driver, so he is looking for a recent 997 for me. Which is what my wife wants anyway. Not many people cross shop an SRT8 and a Porsche, but I have given up on the Dodge, at least for now.

I still think they are an incredibly handsome car, and still admire them greatly when i see them out on the road. I appreciate this forum for the help it has given me, and will close my interaction with Dodge and all of you with my customary wish:

All the best....
Isn't the Porsche a car that looks like a Volkswagon Beetle with a fin on the back ?

·
Registered
65 Posts
dont blame the dealers....its not their fault, and they have been given no, i repeat no info. they are just as frustrated as the buyers

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Regarding the shipping delays on the 2011s - There is a good reason why they are/were delayed. There are a few forum members who know exactly why as well, but it wouldn't be in their/Dodge's best interest to share that information.

Evidently something embarrassing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Regarding the shipping delays on the 2011s - There is a good reason why they are/were delayed. There are a few forum members who know exactly why as well, but it wouldn't be in their/Dodge's best interest to share that information.
I think this info should be shared. If this were the medical industry then Dodge would have to share the info or be fined multi-billion $. I actually think it's against Dodge's interest not to share the info. It'll come out anyway later and if it's bad, heads will roll, reputations in shatters.
The consumer deserves to know the truth. Sorry, not meant to sound preachy.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
Wow, you toughed it out for 2 months.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Maybe "special authority to move" means the car is in such bad shape that it need to moved "specially"...like with a bulldozer.
Come on someone from Dodge, tell us what really happened/is happening before the conspiracy theories create more trouble than just being honest would....:)

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
The cars were initially held up in December due to the door handles not sealing properly, which was resolved before they let production commence. The cars have been hitting dealers and customers since January and if your dealer had pushed their regional manager, they could get the scoop on the car and get it moving.

Your wait has been brief compared to most on here, who ordered back in September. It was well worth it to me - I just got mine this week.

Enjoy your Beetle (in the words of Jeremy Clarkson).

·
Registered
485 Posts
You're missing out. I think a little more patience is in order. You should have seen how long some the guys had to wait for their 2008 Challengers. I'm pretty sure it would have been worth the wait.

I'm sure the Porsche is a great car and I know they are fast as all hell, but kind of small and kind of a chick car. Ironically, the 'Two and a Half Men' episode where Alan buys a Porsche is on right now.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I work at Chrysler, not Brampton but another assembly plant. I haven't been at my plant long but have seen a bunch of assembly delays. Some are part shortages that are fixed after assembly is complete. Not sure what this issue is though..

·
Registered
408 Posts
lol. The 2008/early 2009 guys looks really tough right now. With the delays, shortage of tires and shortage of a bunch of other parts, the bankruptcy, etc. Now that was a wait !

Good luck with the Porsche. I wish you a GT2/GT3. Personally, I'd think an M3/M5 feels more like a challenger alternative but that's just me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The cars were initially held up in December due to the door handles not sealing properly, which was resolved before they let production commence. The cars have been hitting dealers and customers since January and if your dealer had pushed their regional manager, they could get the scoop on the car and get it moving.

Your wait has been brief compared to most on here, who ordered back in September. It was well worth it to me - I just got mine this week.

Enjoy your Beetle (in the words of Jeremy Clarkson).
If that's the truth then there's no need for them to hide it. It's good they are held up to investigate an issue. At least they've all had a good all weather test with the snow in Windsor for a few weeks. :) Thanks for the scoop. Have to say, my dealer's been very good. Keeping me informed and using all the "channels" to get my car out of Windsor :thumbsup: I had a sneeky suspicion the guys at Ground Effects loved the IE's so much that they didn't want to let 'em go :)

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
When I was at Ground Effects last summer, the two guys that were showing me around the yard had a good look at my R/T. The comments were, wow, you have the carbon fiber door grips (meaning that they received a bunch of cars one time where the interior door panels had the SE door grips/handles). And wow you have an R/T emblem on the grill (they had a bunch of R/Ts come in without emblems). I guess someone thought they were running through SE's when they were actually R/Ts. Whoops.... shyt happens when one car looks like the rest when it's half built. So obviously those cars were held up.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts