Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
as the title says this is almost unbelievable but was driving my challenger today and the airconditioner started blowing warm ... we are in houston so it was a muggy 84 degrees today. anyway got home and pulled the plastic cover of the bottom and at the front left of the car there was a clear thick liquid leaking after inspection it was compressor oil. what happened is it was leaking from the condensor where the cooler for the supercharger was touching it. my procharger has been on here about a year and i guess over time there was friction movement between the condensor and the intercooler of procharger supercharger. i am not looking forward to calling the dealer on monday to get a price on the part. i know they wont cover the repair even though it is a 09 because they will say the intercooler caused the leak which is what it did anybody have a idea on the price for this part

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks allot serge you saved me over 200 dollars dealer wanted 705 dollars this other place you referred 486 dollars thanks again man

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I guess you know to replace the drier now as well, and pull down the system (vacuum) really well before re-charging, right?

·
Registered
208 Posts
thanks allot serge you saved me over 200 dollars dealer wanted 705 dollars this other place you referred 486 dollars thanks again man
You bet, somebody else here showed me that place, I have not needed it yet but its good to know its there.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
I had the Procharger on my Charger SRT8 for 6 months and noticed the wear on the condensor. It didnt go through yet but it had started. There is not much room for that intercooler in there.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess you know to replace the drier now as well, and pull down the system (vacuum) really well before re-charging, right?
they showed two condensors for my year one with a drier connected one without ... i think mine came with one let me call them and check though ... why do you have to replace the drier though why is it necessary if it was not damaged also why do we have to pull down system vacuum to let any trapped air out?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
The drier has a dessicant bag that collects the moisture (humidity) that is now in the system with out a refrigerant charge. Air contains moisture and in Houston you've got it. Moisture and refrigerant combined will create an acid. So get it fixed rather quickly.

When you evacuate the system and lower the pressure, water will boil at a much lower temperature. Even at room temp. if you draw it down low enough - into a VACUUM. You do not want any moisture in a refrigerant system. So this is WHY you put a new drier on it. Right now, with it open, the bag is absorbing the humidity. It gets saturated and you will have a heck of a time getting it all out.

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
if you have an srt8 you will notice your power steering fluid runs through that condensor make sure you check that also.

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
which pro charger system do you have stage 1 or 2?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
which pro charger system do you have stage 1 or 2?
its the one with the intercooler located at the front of the condensor stage 2 i think............hey stone white once the condensor and drier are replaced is the service that is going to be done on the ac system any different from what is is done on any other car .. the only reason i ask is because these things you say about moisture and what is required to recharge the system doesnt that have to be done on any model of car or is this just specific to the challenger i was not sure if you were saying these extra steps are required for this specific system. the only reason i ask is because i remember when my condensor went out on my maxima and leaked and i replaced it after a couple of weeks.. did not replace the drier but vacuumed the system ac still works good to this date. ? just wondering i am going to replace drier though because it comes with kit

1 - 11 of 11 Posts