Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide between buying a 2010 srt8 and a 2014 r/t and am looking for some input from people with more extensive erience in challengers

·
Registered
80 Posts
Would think it would depend on the options. I mean right off the bat the srt already has the advantage of engine suspension and brakes. Depends on mileage and price for me at least next.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both are automatic , the challenger rt was the one I was originally going to buy but I saw that there was an srt for sale at the same price and I thought it would be better because as you said you get more benefits I was just seeing if the older year srt8 would still be a better buy than the newer year r/t performance wise I would definitely prefer an srt8 to an r/t but if the newer r/t is the smarter choice I suppose I'd go with that

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
A car with 25,000 VS a car with 90,000 miles?
Ones life is half gone, maybe more, the others is just beginning.......I'd go with the R/T.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
90,000 miles ,, IMO no way . Unless you have money put aside for repairs
Does the interior look like 90,000 miles ? Rugs ? Etc .
How is the paint ?

·
Premium Member
9,352 Posts
Based on those choices I'd only choose the R/T.
There are many Challengers out there for sale and in great shape, why not look further?
Post where you are from what you can afford and maybe we can point you to a good car. Nothing done in haste is done well.
Good luck, welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
I'm going to go against the "grain" here as I am a R/T guy and most of the Mopar brothers here have stated they would choose the R/T. Giving you advice here from experience O.K.? If the SRT is in decent shape, interior, exterior, etc. I would buy it. I would then proceed to a good rebuild, forge, head work and bore to a 426 C.I. with stainless headers, great exhaust. You have the dream then brother! Don't worry about brake pads, battery, other regular items that need to be replaced that is small potatoes. I would try to buy the car at low ball and build me one hell of a 426 Hemi. Again this advice comes from a old R/T guy with a "little" R/T running 850 crank hp which just so happens is still out in front of the latest Dodge brothers offering.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I live in palm beach county fl and I'm trying to stay under 24,000 the two cars I found were around 19,000 , and to those who asked both cars are very clean the srt looks a little better interior wise, srt has leather interior and r/t has cloth

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
R/T all the way. A 5.7 R/T with the A8 is just as fast as that SRT was new. Too many repairs for that older car and the new interior update for 2015 is a huge upgrade over the '08-'14 models. I've owned both. Get the R/T and enjoy that 8 speed transmission, it's awesome!

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
You're being REAL optimistic there bud.:grin2:
About what, the performance comparison? Dodge tested the 2015 A8 Challenger 5.7L and it ran a 13.2 in the 1/4 mile (2015 Challenger brochure). That's actually better than any stock 6.1 SRT Challenger road test I've ever read about... Unless you were referring to something else?

Here is a Car and Driver review of a 6.1 SRT8:
More Than Just Another Square-Jawed Muscle Car
The answer? Both. Thanks to that monster motor and a short first gear, the Challenger does earn a dollop of street cred, hitting 60 mph in 4.8 seconds, charging through the quarter-mile in 13.3 at 108 mph, and running to a drag-limited top speed of 168 mph.

·
Super Moderator
13,850 Posts
About what, the performance comparison? Dodge tested the 2015 A8 Challenger 5.7L and it ran a 13.2 in the 1/4 mile (2015 Challenger brochure). That's actually better than any stock 6.1 SRT Challenger road test I've ever read about... Unless you were referring to something else?
You didn't read Road and Track. They tested a 2008 Challenger SRT and got a best time of 13.0 sec. @109.7 mph. Also, 0-60 mph was 4.7 sec. and the top speed was 170 mph.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,850 Posts
They are about the same price. The R/T has 25,000 and the SRT has about 90,000 miles.
Normally, I would recommend that you buy the SRT because of the better engine, brakes, suspension and seats. However, with the huge difference in mileage, I would get the newer R/T.

Another option would be to search cars.com for a used SRT with low mileage. For example, a quick 2 minute look turned up three SRTs in Florida:

2012, 61,058 miles, $24,997, Sarasota (392 engine)
2008, 33,861 miles, $23,990, Tampa (first year- numbered car)
2010, 23,178 miles, $22,971, Tamarac

·
Registered
537 Posts
based on those choices i'd only choose the r/t.
There are many challengers out there for sale and in great shape, why not look further?
Post where you are from what you can afford and maybe we can point you to a good car. Nothing done in haste is done well.
Good luck, welcome to the forum.
this :|

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
You didn't read Road and Track. They tested a 2008 Challenger SRT and got a best time of 13.0 sec. @109.7 mph. Also, 0-60 mph was 4.7 sec. and the top speed was 170 mph.
Either way, my initial post was stating that their performance was the same so I'd say with a variance of 2 tenths of a second on either side, they're the same. The A8 5.7 will run dead even with a lot of Coyote Mustangs if the Mustang driver isn't careful. Most of those cars are in the high 12's.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts

Here is a Car and Driver review of a 6.1 SRT8:
More Than Just Another Square-Jawed Muscle Car
The answer? Both. Thanks to that monster motor and a short first gear, the Challenger does earn a dollop of street cred, hitting 60 mph in 4.8 seconds, charging through the quarter-mile in 13.3 at 108 mph, and running to a drag-limited top speed of 168 mph.
Oh, you're talking 6.1, I was referring to the 6.4.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts