Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The friggin search feature here has somehow been changed, and I can't find any useful information.

I'm doing research so I can put drag radials on my 2014 R/T Shaker. I do not plan to use these for highway driving. I plan to install 17" Weld wheels (I now have the 20" stock wheels) in the rear, so what is the widest wheel I can bolt on with no other modifications? With that information, I then need to know what is the widest drag radial I can install, that won't rub anywhere, keeping the same overall diameter as stock wheels and tires (Goodyear Eagles)? I haven't decided on a tire brand yet, but I want something that really grips on launch.

Finally, to keep my Shaker looking pretty, how skinny and what diameter would one go in the front with matching Weld wheels, and what size tire would get installed? :) I have not lowered my Shaker, and have problems driving over some speed bumps and entering some driveways right now.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
When it comes to wheels and suspensions and such, I am at a complete loss. The only thing I know about it, is that if it isn't right, you're going to burn rubber, and not in a good way.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Phew, I just saved a couple grand, since I am not going to attempt to do something I know nothing about. :disgust:

·
Registered
936 Posts
Phew, I just saved a couple grand, since I am not going to attempt to do something I know nothing about. :disgust:
It's hard to give advice when you word things the way you do. For instance you want widest that wont rub. Well that would be your stock tires and wheels. Also you want the same height as stock. Well there isn't any. Some are close but maybe with a Manual I would suggest a taller tire so it will wind up and store energy. Etc Etc.

For you I would run the Bravado Tribute with the 305/45R18 ET Street R and the stock front tires and wheels. If you want the whole setup with matching weld wheels and new tires it will be WAY more than $2000, plus the wheels will take 8 weeks to get. Setup above can be shipped from Summit tomorrow mounted and balanced ready to go. If you want specifics, let me know.

Also be advised. Adding drag radials may smoke your stock clutch. But you can get by if you are careful.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
10,041 Posts
I can't tell you what the widest drag radials are that will fit but on my old R/T I ran 275/50/17 M&H's and they worked pretty good. They are about 28" tall which is very close to the stock tire height. For front runners I'm currently using 4.5/28.0R17's which are also approx. stock height.

Some guy's are also running 305/45/17's, which I think are going to be a pretty tight fit and may require shortened end links.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's hard to give advice when you word things the way you do. For instance you want widest that wont rub. Well that would be your stock tires and wheels. Also you want the same height as stock. Well there isn't any. Some are close but maybe with a Manual I would suggest a taller tire so it will wind up and store energy. Etc Etc.

For you I would run the Bravado Tribute with the 305/45R18 ET Street R and the stock front tires and wheels. If you want the whole setup with matching weld wheels and new tires it will be WAY more than $2000, plus the wheels will take 8 weeks to get. Setup above can be shipped from Summit tomorrow mounted and balanced ready to go. If you want specifics, let me know.

Also be advised. Adding drag radials may smoke your stock clutch. But you can get by if you are careful.
Thanks for your help! I guess the first question is how wide of a wheel I can install on the rears, and the second is what size tire would be the best for use at the track. If a larger overall diameter setup will fit, that is fine with me. I just don't want to have any issues that require modifying the tubs or using spacers and such. I do not intend to use this setup for cruising around town, or on the freeway. The real reason for changing the fronts is to cut down on weight as much as possible, but I'm pretty OCD about how things look.

BTW, the $2k was just a number that popped into my head at the moment. The wheels alone will probably come close to that, and I'll also be replacing my drive shaft and rear axles when I do this, which means a couple more bucks.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't tell you what the widest drag radials are that will fit but on my old R/T I ran 275/50/17 M&H's and they worked pretty good. They are about 28" tall which is very close to the stock tire height. For front runners I'm currently using 4.5/28.0R17's which are also approx. stock height.

Some guy's are also running 305/45/17's, which I think are going to be a pretty tight fit and may require shortened end links.
Thanks for the info! Do you recall the width of your 17" wheels?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Thanks for your help! I guess the first question is how wide of a wheel I can install on the rears, and the second is what size tire would be the best for use at the track. If a larger overall diameter setup will fit, that is fine with me. I just don't want to have any issues that require modifying the tubs or using spacers and such. I do not intend to use this setup for cruising around town, or on the freeway. The real reason for changing the fronts is to cut down on weight as much as possible, but I'm pretty OCD about how things look.

BTW, the $2k was just a number that popped into my head at the moment. The wheels alone will probably come close to that, and I'll also be replacing my drive shaft and rear axles when I do this, which means a couple more bucks.
For weld wheels here is a fitment chart. It looks like you can go 17X10 in the back and you can run something like a 17X5 in the front or an 18 or 19 or 20 in the front.

https://www.weldwheels.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Dodge-and-Chrysler-RT-S-Application-Guide.pdf

When I want to shop tire sizes I use the tools in Tire Rack web site. If you play around in there , you will find several ways to search.

https://www.tirerack.com/content/tirerack/desktop/en/homepage.html

If you do not want anything to rub I would run the 275/40R17 ET STREET R on that 10" rim. Then find a tire you like to put on the front rim that you choose.

Have you considered running the ET STREET R BIAS PLY? They are actually made for Manual Transmission cars. You could run the 28X11.50-17LT on a 17X9" wheel, but if it was my Car I would run it on the same 10" wheel as the radial. That way if you want to try the radials in the future you could. Plus it will drive better down the track with the wider rim when you are racing. That tire is a lot taller and will look way better on your car.

The ET Street R will work real well too but it is only 26" tall.

Be sure and keep the front tires as tall as you can. 28-29" tall is best, but you can go shorter if necessary.

Once you have something picked out let me know by quoting me again.

Remember the Weld wheels have to be ordered and will take a while. In the mean time I would get the tires and TPMS sensors and lug nuts picked out and ordered.

TPMS here. There is a lot of junk on E-Bay but these say OEM and they include your car and they have all the right markings etc. Also shipped from Michigan.
2008-2016 oem chrysler dodge jeep monitoring tire pressure sensor 56029400ae

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
10,041 Posts
Thanks for the info! Do you recall the width of your 17" wheels?
I'm running 9 1/2" wide dragstars right now but I had Cobra replicas before that were 9" wide.

Reactions: Gila Hemi
1 - 9 of 9 Posts