Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped my car off at the dealership for an oil change, tire rotation and to change out the cracked window trims (warranty). When I dropped the car off I explained that they didn't have mobil 1 synthetic so I had 7 quarts of oil on the pasenger side floor board for them to put in the car. He said OK and when I picked up the car I ask the casheir if I was being charged for the oil and she said no it says you supplied it and you were only charged labor and for a filter. When We got to were we were eating lunch my wife ask why the oil container were still in the car. I said they most likely just gave them to us to show that they had put the good oil in instead of takeing it home with them. When I picked one container up it was full. All of the oil was still in all of them. We went back and ask what they had put in the car. He checked with the oil change guy and he said just conventional oil. I said NO I don't use that and they said they would drain it and put my oil in. I told them that I didn't want what was in the filter in there and they said we'll dump the filter out and I said it better not leak when you put it back on. Luckly he messed up the filter taking it off and had to put another new one on. You would think a dealership would be able to follow simple instructions but I guess not.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I would have just left what was in there, in there and not said a word............and just used the Mobile 1 for the next change. Free oil change.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I would have just left what was in there, in there and not said a word............and just used the Mobile 1 for the next change. Free oil change.
Yep, too late now, but next time. They come from the factory with dino oil, right?

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Shoulda gone with the free oil change dud(ette) - find out who was on duty and maybe get lucky a second time :browsmiley:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Yep, too late now, but next time. They come from the factory with dino oil, right?
Yes they do, and it's a good idea not to use synthetic until at least 5K miles anyway. Only real advantage for a vehicle like this to use synthetic is to extend your oil change intervals.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not going to use that oil on the trip to CF2 or anywere. I wanted the synthetic oil I bought in there or I wouldn't have spent my time supplying it for them to put in ( they don't carry it anymore). Free isn't a good deal if it's not what you want for your car. My Chevy got Mibil 1 synthetic oil and so will my Challenger even if I have to take it the a quick lube and watch them put it in.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Yes they do, and it's a good idea not to use synthetic until at least 5K miles anyway. Only real advantage for a vehicle like this to use synthetic is to extend your oil change intervals.
Where do you come up with that information not to use a synthetic until at least 5K miles?

Many new high performance vehicles come from the factory with Synthetic oil. The only reason most cars don't come with it is because it more expensive than conventional oil.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Where do you come up with that information not to use a synthetic until at least 5K miles?

Many new high performance vehicles come from the factory with Synthetic oil. The only reason most cars don't come with it is because it more expensive than conventional oil.
Yep, my Z06 came from the factory with synthetic, and the rings were set up for it. Do some searching.......

·
Registered
498 Posts
For every one you find, I will find one to the contrary, and the link you supply is basically a synthetic oil advertisement.

Synthetic Oil

I am NOT going to go back and forth on this...do what you want I don't care.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Dodge has no problem with you using synthetics in these vehicles. The 392 engine even requires synthetic 5W-40 in the Owner's Manual.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The Turbo World Engine used Mobil 1 oil while the NA engine uses dino oil. I'll try to remember to find out tomorrow if the turbo pistons (different pistons then NA...they are forged) used different rings or not.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All SRTs come with it and the owners manual says I can use it in my 5.7 but not to extend the change interval. It doesn't say anything about waiting 5K miles to start useing it.

·
Registered
389 Posts
even if I have to take it the a quick lube and watch them put it in.
This may sound funny, but that's exactly what I do. I go buy the Mobil 1 0-40 my car came with, grab a Mobile 1 filter while I'm at the auto parts store. Drive to the local quick lube I've used for 10 years, watch them do their thing. No mess, no disposal, no hassle - just an oil change the way I want it.

·
Registered
726 Posts
You're both right! These oil threads can get lengthy and unending. I am switching to my syn. brand oil at my magic mileage figure + or -. More importantly, I want to make sure the engine has been heat cycled and under load sufficiently over a long enough period of time before I do that. Although I love my car, I don't think most owners will keep their ride long enough to realize any ill effects from poor choices in oil grade or quality. That will be left for subsequent owners.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This wasn't ment to be an oil thread. There's been way to many of them that get no were. Most of us are set in our ways and all the hype isn't going to change that. This was about dealerships not doing their jobs. I take the car to the dealership (even though it's more expensive) because your suppose to be able to trust them to do what you ask and if it's not what is best for the car to tell you so.

·
Registered
726 Posts
You're right itzrick, I agree. Service is a big money maker for dealerships and we do have choices. It's a simple oversight but one that mattered most to you. Next time, come over here and I'll change it for you. Get them the next time itzrick in writing.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just went out to make sure she was full of oil and I noticed 1 of the window trims they replaced today that the first couple of inches is sticking up. I guess they didn't secure that in place. Guess I get to go back again. Maybe they just like seeing me.

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
"Motor oil is motor oil". Put in what makes you feel good, and follow at least what the mfg suggests for weight and type.

The "key" is to change it, and "freebies" are great!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts