Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 SRT8 6.4 manual 6.

Manual does not list a capacity. I cannot find a clear answer online.

I know a drain and fill will take 4 QTS. If it's like other vehicles, that only eliminates about 1/3rd of the fluid so this drain and fill has to be repeated regularly to get the fluid out? Is that a correct understanding on our Challengers?

Or is the "service" every X amount of time/miles (mine states 96k or 96 months for normal driving), factoring in that one is only removing and replacing a fraction of the fluid? The manual is really missing in critical details here...

The reason for clarification is 1) I want it done right, and 2) buying bulk fluid is cheaper (per QT) and smarter if it does, in fact, say take 12 and not 4 QTS and 3 changes not 1 to get it all... If it takes 12 QTS, for instance, I'd consider just getting it all now so it's the same...

I'm likely to just get the Royal Purple. I wrote them and the tech wrote back: " If your 2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 is equipped with the automatic transmission we recommend using our Royal Purple Max ATF (part #01320, quart bottle). If equipped with the six speed manual transmission you can use the Royal Purple Max ATF, however our primary recommendation and highest performing option for this manual transmission is the Royal Purple Synchromax (part #01512, quart bottle)."

·
Registered
195 Posts
Total capacity is about 4 qts in the M6. AUTOMATIC transmissions are the ones that if you drain and fill it only changes a little bit of the fluid due to the bulk of the fluid in an automatic being held up in the torque converter.

Manual transmission fluid is only in the gear case and is splash-lubricated (no pumps to circulate) so dropping the drain plug will get nearly all of it out, then just fill til it comes out the fill hole. Even if the Manual trans has a pump that runs the fluid through a cooler you'll only have maybe a half a quart trapped in there.

Drain and fill will get you where you need to be, I can tell you that it shifts better after doing a drain and fill even if you use Mopar spec ATF+4. I do my 2020 every 15k.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,731 Posts
3.45 quarts (7.29 pts)...officially

A Guy

Attachments

Reactions: Dodgenovice

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya'll are a wealth of knowledge and kindness. Thanks! This will be easier and less expensive than I expected. Doing the Royal Purple change. Cheers!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts