Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Thanks renfrick1, I've been towed to the Bowling Green dealership now. Will buy a stocker so I can get back home. I'll be looking for some beefed-up setup real soon though.

I was a little too enthusiastic in my launch method.. Launched at 3000, had bad wheel hop and did not let off early enough the second try. I think I managed to do the quarter in 5 minutes or so.

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
Dang bro! Sorry to hear you found the weakest link, but I guess that's cause your making some serious mojo :)

Good luck on the fix and safe travels.

HemiSam

·
Registered
408 Posts
Thx Hemisam. It's also the lack of experience.. My first time down the track ever and I tried too hard..

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
Dang dude, find me tonight and I will buy you a drink. You still coming to the dinner?

·
Registered
408 Posts
The differential casing broke around the rear bolt on the passenger side and the right axle broke as well. It's really because of the wheel hop. A hop-not kit might have saved me so I'll consider getting one.

I'll still make it to the restaurant I'll go downstairs and try to get a ride. Car rental companies closed at 1 today..

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
Your DSS 1400hp axle broke? Maybe I just got lucky but I had some pretty bad wheel hope a few times, including burnout and launch, the first time I hit the track in Sealy. I did launch a bit softer than you, prob closer to 2000-2500, and I've not tried a clutch dump. The wheel hop was something awful though. Hadn't really had it since then. Try to get the tires a bit more water in the water box (blip the throttle when I'm rolling through it) and maybe that's it...dunno.

Good luck, bud.

HemiSam

·
Registered
940 Posts
I have a stock 3.06 out of my 09 SRT8, its not for sale but I'm sure we could work something out for him to get home. I,m in north east Tn. It could be overnighted and be there Tue. morning for install.
There would be some shipping and some time on installs but no where near the cost of having to buy one even it they had one at the dealer. I'll be out of church by 10:15 am this morning if interested just call me @ 423-895-0244. Or I,m 6 hrs driving time away if you wanted it by monday morning just let me know if I can help.

LURCH!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
That sucks sorry to hear this and looks like Graceland is out of the mix :(
as long as you get her home... If I were there you know I'd put her on my trailer and get you home!!! :)

The differential casing broke around the rear bolt on the passenger side and the right axle broke as well. It's really because of the wheel hop. A hop-not kit might have saved me so I'll consider getting one.

I'll still make it to the restaurant I'll go downstairs and try to get a ride. Car rental companies closed at 1 today..

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
It looked to us (we didn't disassemble it because it couldn't be repaired at the track) like one of the CV joints gave up the ghost, rather than the axle itself.

However, this is the damage that necessitated a tow to the dealer;

Left is the rear of the car, right is forward. The differential casing itself was cracked.

The Captain said the dealer would have the car repaired by Wednesday - luckily the Captain and his lady planned to vacation in the Nashville/Memphis area this week anyways rather than heading directly home. So while costly, the situation is under control.

I suggested to Denis (the Captain) that he get in touch with Mike (GSO Challenger) regarding his axle assembly for sale. With his 6.1 and Kenne Bell, he's putting a lot of HP and torque on the ground (at least 200 rwhp over stock) and clearly needs to beef up the rear drivetrain.

BTW, at the banquet last night, Chuck (Bayou Tiger) donated his prize of the Hopnot kit and Speedlogix gift certificate to the Captain. That was very generous of Chuck, and demonstrates what a great community of car owners this is.

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
Jim, that's not good and the axles that GSO has are for the 08 so that isn't going to be an option.
Chuck is a stand up guy and has a big heart congrats on giving presents on your Birthday Old Man :guiness:

It looked to us (we didn't disassemble it because it couldn't be repaired at the track) like one of the CV joints gave up the ghost, rather than the axle itself.

However, this is the damage that necessitated a tow to the dealer;

Left is the rear of the car, right is forward. The differential casing itself was cracked.

The Captain said the dealer would have the car repaired by Wednesday - luckily the Captain and his lady planned to vacation in the Nashville/Memphis area this week anyways rather than heading directly home. So while costly, the situation is under control.

I suggested to Denis (the Captain) that he get in touch with Mike (GSO Challenger) regarding his axle assembly for sale. With his 6.1 and Kenne Bell, he's putting a lot of HP and torque on the ground (at least 200 rwhp over stock) and clearly needs to beef up the rear drivetrain.

BTW, at the banquet last night, Chuck (Bayou Tiger) donated his prize of the Hopnot kit and Speedlogix gift certificate to the Captain. That was very generous of Chuck, and demonstrates what a great community of car owners this is.

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
Isn't what GSO selling basically most of the cradle unit with diff, gears and axles? Might could work although I'm not sure if CA wants a 3.55 or not.

Thanks for the pic, Jay. I was curious what happened to that pumpkin.

Very nice touch, Chuck!

HemiSam

·
Registered
408 Posts
Thanks for all the help folks and special thanks to Chuck/BayouTiger, Speedy, TooFart and everyone who offered a ride. I'm in contact with DSS now to get a replacement axle overnighted. I'll probably stick with a new differential casing that's a 3.92 like the original. I just need to take it slow and not try so hard.

The hop-not kit will help a bunch. With it, I'm sure nothing would have broken. We'll see.

Thanks for the picture. It hurts to see it though :/

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Man I'm sorry you had this breakage. I was in the tower talking to the announcer about how I wanted the day to run when I saw you doing your burnout. Overzealous is an understatement LOL. It was bouncing like the Harlem Globe Trotters. Gotta get out of it when that happens, but I bet you'll never forget that now.

I'm in Nashville. If you guys need ANYTHING while you're in the area lemme know and if I can help or assist in any way I'll do it on the spot. I'm almost always around e-mail and what not but if you need my cell number just shoot me a PM.

Chuck (BayouTiger) is just an awesome guy and I consider he and his wife Lisa family. Bravo Chuck for helping out our man when in need.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts