Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://consumerist.com/2017/10/27/841000-ford-fusion-vehicles-under-investigation-because-steering-wheels-shouldnt-fall-off/

From the linked article:
"If the steering wheel is no longer attached to the vehicle, the driver can’t control the car. This, NHTSA says, can increase the risk of a crash."

Well, thank you Captain Obvious!!

Seriously though, as someone who has experienced having a steering wheel come off while driving, I can absolutely say without a doubt that it increases the risk of a crash...not to mention soiled underpants!

Now, i wasn't driving a fancy new Ford at the time. My incident occurred in a 1971 Chevy Cheyenne pickup, which it could be argued is significantly less advanced than a modern motor vehicle which protects its occupants with all manner of safety devices, but lemme tell ya, when you're driving down the road and go to make a turn, only to end up with a disembodied steering wheel halfway through, it don't matter what you're driving - you're up the creek without a paddle and your boat just sprung a leak!!

And yes, this is just one more reason to always put on clean underwear when you leave the house in the morning, cause its must better to soil clean ones than dirty ones, trust me!!

·
Super Moderator
15,388 Posts
Its the same reason that stoves have areas with warning labels "HOT".

We have to dumb it down to the lowest common denominator - otherwise the solution is to litigate the way out of dumb mistakes.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,975 Posts
Imagine the world without warning labels :surprise:

A Guy

·
Premium Member
7,294 Posts
Imagine the world without warning labels :surprise:

A Guy
Remove child before washing! that cracks me up. :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Now I'M getting attacked because apparently she already showed me that and I pay more attention to the forum than her............ or something. I gotta go!

·
Super Moderator
15,388 Posts
Now I'M getting attacked because apparently she already showed me that and I pay more attention to the forum than her............ or something. I gotta go!
that's one Penalty Box you don't want to be in...

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We talking wives or cars? Cause one can theoretically be ignored, even if it is at one's own peril. The other is best listened though, as she could smack you with a frying pan to get your attention next time!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,975 Posts
The other is best listened though, as she could smack you with a frying pan to get your attention next time!
As we laugh at Nuke's colorful exaggeration, yet Nuke rubs his temple in remembrance...

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
As we laugh at Nuke's colorful exaggeration, yet Nuke rubs his temple in remembrance...

A Guy

He is the voice of experience. BTW: I made it. Apparently you weren't the first to show me that tag!!! Still funny.
If you FORGET and laugh again.........who gets hurt??? It was the part where I said "look at this", now I know.......
know what??????????????? I'm so confused.!!!!!!! The BELLS.

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't have a pic to go along with this, but way back in the day I can remember reading the following on a box of some Christmas lights bought at a local big box store:

WARNING: For inside or outside use ONLY!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I contacted NHTSA about my rotting 2000 Toyota Tundra frame. I told them the spare tire bracket literally rotted off the frame and I was concerned about it. They asked me what my concern was. I said...some guy behind me hitting a spare pickup tire falling out from under a Tundra at 70mph.

The subsequent recall explicitly said to remove your spare and put it in the bed of the truck.

You think?

·
Super Moderator
15,388 Posts
or the dessicant packs in electronic equipment labeled "Do Not Eat" - seriously?

Would someone think this was a bonus snack packed with your item...?

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
or the dessicant packs in electronic equipment labeled "Do Not Eat" - seriously?

Would someone think this was a bonus snack packed with your item...?
I was over at a buddy's house one time to help him try to recover a crashed home computer, and while we were futzing around with that, his wife and daughter (~5 years old or so?) were in the living room opening boxes of something or another they'd ordered and had delivered. Anyway, the wife came in to check on us and were all standing around watching the PC monitor and chatting, when their daughter walked in and said, "mommy, this doesn't taste very good." We all looked over at her to see her holding out her hand with one of those silicate bags ripped open and half emptied out in her palm. And lemme tell ya, this was a grande sized bag of silicate too!!

There was about a half-second of disbelief as we all looked at her and each other and back to her holding that ripped bag and silica in her hand. And I distinctly remember her frowning the worst frown I've seen on a child. It was almost as if she'd just eaten something that tasted really bad :satan:).

Anyway, all hell quickly broke loose. The wife grabbed the kid and drug her to the bathroom to do who knows what, and me and my buddy ran around trying to find the phone book (this was about 10 years ago; they were still a thing). We finally found it and started flying through it trying to find the poison control center number. Meanwhile I can remember hearing water running from the bathtub faucet and the sounds of the kid gurgling and trying to say something, but it was mostly just a long "mommy, noooooo <gurgle> ooooooo" over and over.

It seemed like it took minutes to find, but we finally found the number in relatively short order (which I still remember: 1-800-222-1222) and called it to see what to do. The lady on the other end was pretty calm and talked them down off the ledge pretty quick. She basically just said the daughter will be okay, and that no medical attention was necessary. And then right before hanging up, she said with some urgency, "but don't let her eat any more!" as if they were going to start serving it up as a side dish at dinner.

So they calmed down and dried the kid off and got her calmed down (she was only scared because everybody else was IMO), and then they asked her why she opened the bag and at the silica in the first place. Oddly enough, her response made perfect sense to me (but very little to them): "I don't know, because I wanted to see what it tasted like?"

I can relate, I have that same urge at least twice a day with various objects and liquids that I run across...although I do have enough self-control NOT to actually taste whatever it is I'm curious about...assuming I'm sober, that is. Throw in enough alcohol, and all bets are off though!!

·
Super Moderator
15,388 Posts
I can relate, I have that same urge at least twice a day with various objects and liquids that I run across...although I do have enough self-control NOT to actually taste whatever it is I'm curious about...assuming I'm sober, that is. Throw in enough alcohol, and all bets are off though!!
If you start slugging down hand sanitzer (they often contain alcohol) - we're performing an intervention:satan:

I remember reading about young kids (early grade school age) that were getting 'drunk' off ingesting hand sanitzer. Boy, are we in trouble.

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you start slugging down hand sanitzer (they often contain alcohol) - we're performing an intervention:satan:

I remember reading about young kids (early grade school age) that were getting 'drunk' off ingesting hand sanitzer. Boy, are we in trouble.
While it's good to know I'm worth an intervention should it ever come to that, I'm worried that ship might have sailed earlier this year when I did the rear-end maintenance on my Challenger and finally learned what 80W-90 gear oil tastes like.

I've been wondering about that one for at least 20 years, and now that I have tasted it, i gotta say, it was NOT worth the wait!!

Who knew fine wines and gear oil have absolutely nothing in common?!?

·
Super Moderator
15,388 Posts
While it's good to know I'm worth an intervention should it ever come to that, I'm worried that ship might have sailed earlier this year when I did the rear-end maintenance on my Challenger and finally learned what 80W-90 gear oil tastes like.

I've been wondering about that one for at least 20 years, and now that I have tasted it, i gotta say, it was NOT worth the wait!!

I'll bet when you smell that sulfur / gear oil smell, you probably get the gag reflex going...

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I'll bet when you smell that sulfur / gear oil smell, you probably get the gag reflex going...
Like Gin and Scotch? UGHHHHhhhhhh! An acquired taste I am sure. Rock on Nuke!

·
Registered
2,668 Posts

Nuke,while your exploring the taste of your cars fluids,what ever you do,don't confuse the sweet taste of antifreeze with MD 20/20.

It appears that antifreeze has the same effect as an excessive amount of cheap wine ,but the finale outcome is far worse than the normal next day dry heaves and pounding head.

Stage 1 (30 minutes to 12 hours) consists of neurological and gastrointestinal symptoms and looks similar to alcohol poisoning.[9] Poisoned individuals may appear to be intoxicated, dizzy, lacking coordination of muscle movements, drooling, depressed,[6] and have slurred speech, abnormal eye movements, headaches, and confusion.[9] Irritation to the stomach may cause nausea and vomiting.[7] Also seen are excessive thirst and urination.

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nuke,while your exploring the taste of your cars fluids,what ever you do,don't confuse the sweet taste of antifreeze with MD 20/20.

It appears that antifreeze has the same effect as an excessive amount of cheap wine ,but the finale outcome is far worse than the normal next day dry heaves and pounding head.

Stage 1 (30 minutes to 12 hours) consists of neurological and gastrointestinal symptoms and looks similar to alcohol poisoning.[9] Poisoned individuals may appear to be intoxicated, dizzy, lacking coordination of muscle movements, drooling, depressed,[6] and have slurred speech, abnormal eye movements, headaches, and confusion.[9] Irritation to the stomach may cause nausea and vomiting.[7] Also seen are excessive thirst and urination.
:surprise: Holy cow, that sounds like a pretty rough time...I definitely ain't gonna drink any of that stuff after reading the effects it could have on me!! :ack:

So what happens if I drink the antifreeze instead?

·
Super Moderator
15,388 Posts
:surprise: Holy cow, that sounds like a pretty rough time...I definitely ain't gonna drink any of that stuff after reading the effects it could have on me!! :ack:

So what happens if I drink the antifreeze instead?
Renal failure

1 - 20 of 23 Posts