Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Challenger SRT8 #1101
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so although I just got my Challenger about a year ago, I am still in what some might call a honeymoon phase. I have quite a commute to work so due to the gas cost I drive it a couple times during the week and on the weekends. All of these times I have a lot of control on where I am parking and can always find a "safest" parking location for it.

It does have a matte finish paint job so it is extra susceptible to scratches from things so I am a little overly cautious.

Coming up soon I will be attending a concert at the Atomic Cowboy in St Louis Missouri. I have no idea what parking will be like but I am likely going to end up in a parking garage and will be very tempted to use my car cover when I park there.

What is everybody's opinion on this? Well this actually keep it safer or will it just become the target of the stupidity that people show sometimes.

I do have a dashcam that I am planning on leaving on during the event. Maybe putting a sign on the dash if I do not cover it that they are being filmed?

Signed,
Overly paranoid as I've never had anything this nice.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
841 Posts
Whatever floats your boat...Is the correct answer...

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
No cover or camera is gonna keep a size 12 boot from kicking it, keying it, whatever those nice folks do out there in the wild...the only proven method that works every time is the monkey in the trunk security system (YouTube).

·
Premium Member
10,053 Posts
Or it ends up at home in your garage like mine does and sees less than 2000 miles in most years, last year was only 349 miles. Take good care of it, drive it and enjoy it, remember it is a car. Now if only I took my own advice.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
I would forget the cover- it draws more attention. If your that concerned, which I would be,
go and rent the cheapest car,for the day or the weekend. We have done that already .
$100 dollars for the weekend and the peace of mind is cheap. This way you can really
enjoy the concert with no worries.

I worked too hard for the money to pay for my car for some jealous bone to [email protected]& with it.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,299 Posts
My challenger was recently vandalized and I almost never leave it for more than a minutes at a time when I take it out.
"They" kicked it twice, punched it and tried to pry out the weather stripping on passenger 1/4 glass.
Fun huh!
As said, no car cover is going to prevent the jerks of the world from seeing you have something nicer than they do and intentionally messing with it. A car cover will also attract the curious. They may just steal the car cover as a bonus!
The rental car option Beachlovers2 suggested is a very valid one. Id do that.
Another is maybe to secure safe parking away from the venue and walking/taxi/bus ride in.
Many higher end hotels offer parking for a fee to people not staying at the hotel. Any place near a major airport will have paid parking lots & taxi service as well, most are monitored and normally safe.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"They" kicked it twice, punched it and tried to pry out the weather stripping on passenger 1/4 glass.
Fun huh!
As said, no car cover is going to prevent the jerks of the world from seeing you have something nicer than they do and intentionally messing with it.
Good luck.
Wow, that sucks. Why do people have to be dill-holes?

What would be awesome is if you could rent those monthly car storage places for just the night...
Even found one of them within 10 minutes walk of where I'm going. Doubt they would rent for a single night though.

Garagebnb, for your car.

·
Registered
63 Posts
You might as well put an additional flashing light on top of the cover - Leave it at home - we never take our RT to revenues like that - even to baseball games - we take the truck.

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
You might as well put an additional flashing light on top of the cover - Leave it at home - we never take our RT to revenues like that - even to baseball games - we take the truck.
Too true! I typically do the same thing as well but I'm driving out to you one state to watch the concert but the real goal is getting it to my dad for Father's Day few options.

I saw today pretty nice working parking garage within walking distance to The Venue so I could at least not park on the street.

Found me a nice in spot that gives it about three and a half feet of Gap to the next space, placed my dash cam in an oh so obvious place on the windshield and have it powered by a phone charger battery.

I restrained myself from putting my lockable cover on it so as not to bring unwanted attention to it.

Everyone please keep your fingers crossed for me!

My father has not seen it yet so I'm going to make sure he takes the test drive of a lifetime!

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All went extremely well and my baby was absolutely perfect on return and hadn't had any movement on my cam since I had left it there.

Even found me the perfect patch of road around 1am to open it up and make a new high score for the fastest I've had her up to!

It's scary in a great way how these things G L I D E at those speeds!

·
Super Moderator
14,942 Posts
No cover or camera is gonna keep a size 12 boot from kicking it, keying it, whatever those nice folks do out there in the wild...the only proven method that works every time is the monkey in the trunk security system (YouTube).
An excellent recommendation! Trunk monkey will give you peace of mind and he works cheap- only two bunches of bananas a day.

·
Registered
203 Posts
My Challenger goes from my garage to a parking garage where I work that is a pay garage for non employees so it limits who can get in. I work trade shows so there are days when it can get full with very limited parking. On those days the car stays at home. Putting a cover on the car would defeat the camera working anyway and unless the car is really clean, could damage the paint. I run cameras in all of my stuff but they are not currently set up to record when not driving. Hopefully I won't need to do that. As others mentioned, a cover might just attract unwanted attention.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts