Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently my 2009 B5 SRT8 is worth $33,000 in the dealers eyes. Obviously I may get more on the open market, but I am curious as to what people think the long term value of this car will be, considering it remains a low milage 1,000 miles per year car. Say in 5 to 7 years.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Assume, for a minute, you paid $45K, and two years later, it drops to 33K (in dealers eyes), might could get 35K privatge party. So, lets say first two years dropped 10% each year. I would say drop another 25% over 5 years. It might be worth 20-25K in 5-7 years.

A new Chevy SSR, in 2004/2005 was probably a 40-45K vehicle. There are a lot less of them built than Challengers. Now, 5 -7 years later, you can pick one up for half that.

These cars are special in our eyes. But in the end, they made enough of them, that they probably will not collectors and worth more in the out years.

Mike

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
Yep, in 5-7 years, it's just a "used car" to most folks. IMO, the only chance of retaining value is if a buyer wants exactly what you have. It won't be a goldmine more, but it could bring more.

Pricing by demand

·
Registered
37 Posts
I expect these SRT cars to slowly depreciate down into the middle to upper teens over the next 6-8 years. They will probably firm up in that range. I use those figures, as other late model specialty and high performance cars have done the same over the last decade. My 02 Z06 listed for 50k, and it is worth 18-22k now with 40k miles on it, and it has been in that range for the last 3-4 years. Early SRT Chargers and 300's are also trading in that range now when in good shape and reasonable miles. Nice 94-96 Impala SS cars, and 86-87 Buick GN's, too. It is a comfortable zone for a vehicle to settle back to, one that is reachable by average enthusiasts, and one that reflects the specialty nature of the cars. Super rare retirement piece? Probably not. Valuable specialty car of notable worth? Probably so. Counterman.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Currently my 2009 B5 SRT8 is worth $33,000 in the dealers eyes. Obviously I may get more on the open market, but I am curious as to what people think the long term value of this car will be, considering it remains a low milage 1,000 miles per year car. Say in 5 to 7 years.

there's a brand new 2010 b5 SRT in IL for $36,000 (automatic/no options)

if your offered $33k for a used 2009 id say its an awesome deal...i wouldnt pay more than $29k on the open market..i think your car is worth $27k to a dealer...he will ask $33k and get $30k

i also found a few loaded 2010's for $37k range

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I expect these SRT cars to slowly depreciate down into the middle to upper teens over the next 6-8 years. They will probably firm up in that range. I use those figures, as other late model specialty and high performance cars have done the same over the last decade. My 02 Z06 listed for 50k, and it is worth 18-22k now with 40k miles on it, and it has been in that range for the last 3-4 years. Early SRT Chargers and 300's are also trading in that range now when in good shape and reasonable miles. Nice 94-96 Impala SS cars, and 86-87 Buick GN's, too. It is a comfortable zone for a vehicle to settle back to, one that is reachable by average enthusiasts, and one that reflects the specialty nature of the cars. Super rare retirement piece? Probably not. Valuable specialty car of notable worth? Probably so. Counterman.
ill bet the 6.1's will get down under $10k in 10 years....i doubt they go up for 20+ years....if the 392 stays the top dog maybe that one will stay above $10k

Grand Nationals are in the upper single digits and real nice ones are $15k range.....and there were fewer GN's built.....the GN is the only 25 year old car that is on the up swing.....why would a 6.1 go up earlier when there are more of them made

i thought my 1990 Mustang GT would have some value if i had it today....i cant find any over $2-$5k...no one wants it....even though there arent very many survivors it still has no value

when they make hundreds of thousands of SRT's do you think they will have value in 25 years? why?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Huggy, you might be correct about the values being less than 10k ten years out or so. I hope not. At 25 years, who knows? Generally, I still believe that nice, clean, original cars will settle into the mid teens over the intermediate term. You mentioned the 5.0 ragtop, and I understand your feelings. I am a fan of 80's muscle too, and they are generally soft. Howver, really nice IROC's, 5.0's, Monte SS, Hurst/442, GN's etc. are very hard to find in great shape. I just sold a decent IROC for $2500. However, a cherry example of any of those will bring 8-12k. I mean, clean, solid, unmolested, correct cars. Not hotrods or crapwagon cars with mismatched parts and bad paint. I own an 87 GN that I bought in 93 for 8k. It was just a late model used car then. It is nicer now than in 93, and I have folks hitting on me to sell all the time for 10-15k. I'll never sell it, but it makes a good example. Keep in mind that a hard loaded GN stickered at 16-17k new. So, the car is worth 50-70% of its new cost, not adjusting for inflation, etc. No way will a 50g car stop depreciating at 25k, but the mid teens seem reasonable to me. I will bet my ass that at 25 years out, this time we live in now will be viewed fondly as a Golden Age of performance cars, and no modern equivalents will exist. Make no mistake, but big bore ass kickers like SRT8's, SS, 5.0, Z06, etc. are on borrowed time. The very near future will bring smaller, more fuel friendly cars across the board. I plan on getting mine while I can, and let the future come at its own pace. Counterman.

·
Registered
49 Posts
No new car is a good investment. Except if you want to invest in putting a big grin on your face.
The 392 will hit the re-sale value of 6.1s. I personally wouldn't buy an pre '11 challenger due to all the driveability upgrades and the 392 hemi in the '11. But in 30 yrs time, who knows.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
keep the car for a while, take care of it, and with low miles u wont lose your shirt.....trade in(up?) every year or two for the latest/greatest thing & you'll lose lots of $$$. As far as your car's value, $33k is an average "wholesale" & they'll probably ask around $37-38k...As far as your car being only worth $27-29k----LOL---dealers are paying more than that at auctions:notallthere:

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Huggy, you might be correct about the values being less than 10k ten years out or so. I hope not. At 25 years, who knows? Generally, I still believe that nice, clean, original cars will settle into the mid teens over the intermediate term. You mentioned the 5.0 ragtop, and I understand your feelings. I am a fan of 80's muscle too, and they are generally soft. Howver, really nice IROC's, 5.0's, Monte SS, Hurst/442, GN's etc. are very hard to find in great shape. I just sold a decent IROC for $2500. However, a cherry example of any of those will bring 8-12k. I mean, clean, solid, unmolested, correct cars. Not hotrods or crapwagon cars with mismatched parts and bad paint. I own an 87 GN that I bought in 93 for 8k. It was just a late model used car then. It is nicer now than in 93, and I have folks hitting on me to sell all the time for 10-15k. I'll never sell it, but it makes a good example. Keep in mind that a hard loaded GN stickered at 16-17k new. So, the car is worth 50-70% of its new cost, not adjusting for inflation, etc. No way will a 50g car stop depreciating at 25k, but the mid teens seem reasonable to me. I will bet my ass that at 25 years out, this time we live in now will be viewed fondly as a Golden Age of performance cars, and no modern equivalents will exist. Make no mistake, but big bore ass kickers like SRT8's, SS, 5.0, Z06, etc. are on borrowed time. The very near future will bring smaller, more fuel friendly cars across the board. I plan on getting mine while I can, and let the future come at its own pace. Counterman.
how much have you put into your GN? im sure paint....its worth $15k im sure, but if you put $10k into it to partial resto it then are you ahead

ive considered a GN as a 2nd weekend car to go w/ my new 392....i dont think the Challenger will have the following of the GN...GN's are much rarer and are considered a mid-sized true muscle car....the challenger is a grey-area muscle car...is it pony or muscle....depends on who you ask...the GN was the classic old school muscle car theme, but with a 6 cyl....it came along when there was nothing else fast..i think thats why it stands out.....the Mopar 10 will probably be the most collectible challenger since it was truely a 'special edition'....if they would have given the IE 392 -10-20 more hp they would have had a future collectible for sure.

i couldnt find any old 5.0 that was over $5k

im sure the 2000 SS is worth something, same with that special firebird they made..but those were limited....the SRT isnt...too many of them

funny to see late 70's transam's worth something again....they do look cool, but performance is horrible....ive even considered one, but the prices are already too high...i am not going to pay $20k for a slow car that a 2011 minivan can beat

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
keep the car for a while, take care of it, and with low miles u wont lose your shirt.....trade in(up?) every year or two for the latest/greatest thing & you'll lose lots of $$$. As far as your car's value, $33k is an average "wholesale" & they'll probably ask around $37-38k...As far as your car being only worth $27-29k----LOL---dealers are paying more than that at auctions:notallthere:

how can dealers ask $37-38k for a 2 year old used car when i can get a brand new DY,HO,B-5 blue 2010 for $36-37k

it took me 8 hours to get 4 offers in the $36-37k range 2 weeks ago...one was advertised on cars.com and their website...no bargaining....i think your looking at auctions from 6 months ago??? the 392 is out, prices on the 6.1 have changed dramatically....cant get $42k for a used one anymore

·
Registered
353 Posts
It's better to enjoy the car and put some reasonable miles on it. Take care of it and it will take care of you. If you're looking at the Challenger to be an investment you're sadly mistaken.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
I got a dealer trade in offer for 28k-30k for my 2010 SRT8. Not appealing, however, to pay additional for the 392 when a lightly, streetable, cammed/heads package is making comparable power.

In all, my key points for the 11s was the suspension and steering changes. Not worth $15k in my opinion and much cheaper to improve through the aftermarket. Also, the tuning the new active manifold and computer, I think, will take time and research so another reason to wait. The 6.1l has lots of research by aftermarket and consumer done to it so it is a tried and true engine.

In all, once the 392 drops down in one year to 38-39k range, it might be something to consider. 50k for a loaded Challenger, mmm not so good IMO.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I saw on one of the auto auctions on TV that cars will depreciate on the average for 20 years, before they start to appreciate. They were specifically referencing a Chevy SSR. Look at the Pontiac Trans Am. It is no longer made, and is only starting to appreciate and still a good buy.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I saw on one of the auto auctions on TV that cars will depreciate on the average for 20 years, before they start to appreciate. They were specifically referencing a Chevy SSR. Look at the Pontiac Trans Am. It is no longer made, and is only starting to appreciate and still a good buy.
the SSR is waaaay more limited...wasnt it made for 2 years?

there's a 87 GNX on Ebay right now at $40k, they are asking $50k
-make a special edition w/ higher HP and it will be worth double the regular version some day-...only the Mopar 10 has done that

·
Registered
899 Posts
I got a dealer trade in offer for 28k-30k for my 2010 SRT8. Not appealing, however, to pay additional for the 392 when a lightly, streetable, cammed/heads package is making comparable power.

In all, my key points for the 11s was the suspension and steering changes. Not worth $15k in my opinion and much cheaper to improve through the aftermarket. Also, the tuning the new active manifold and computer, I think, will take time and research so another reason to wait. The 6.1l has lots of research by aftermarket and consumer done to it so it is a tried and true engine.

In all, once the 392 drops down in one year to 38-39k range, it might be something to consider. 50k for a loaded Challenger, mmm not so good IMO.
I agree, if you plan on only doing simple bolt-ons like exhaust, cold air, etc..the new 392 is for you. BUT if you plan on cylinder heads, cam, stroking etc the 6.1L car is the better starting point. It'll be awhile before the aftermarket catches up to the 392 (look how long it took them to crack the electronics on the 5.7 / 6.1). You just need to look at other sophisticated V8's (German) and you're lucky if someone makes a piggy back tuner for it. Too low of volume and too high-tech.

The GM LSX is popular because of its simplicity and the 6.1L is the only remaining mopar V8 with that left.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
the SSR is waaaay more limited...wasnt it made for 2 years?
Few more years than that (four total actually), but yeah, way way more limited, and you can get 'em at about 50% of new price if you look. Friend of mine is into SSR's big time. Low to mid 20's, sometimes higher if really nice and low miles.

Mike

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
The cars will depreciate just like every other used car out there. Expect it to drop about 6% to 10% per year for the next 10 years. Real value will only be about 6k to 10k after 12 years for srt8's the r/t's will be lower slightly, but not by much. Values will not increase until the cars are over 20 years old, they will follow the same trend as all the other used specialty cars for the last 40 years. Musclecars of the 60s did not start rising in value till they were over 20 years old, and even then it was only the rarest that did so, the regular ones took longer. I've got a 19 year old stealth r/t turbo now that is only worth 3k to 5k with a totally new drivetrain (shortblock cost more than that by itself) in 3 to 5 years it will start to rise in value slightly and take another 10 years to start pulling prices over 10k again. I was happy that it still held a value over 10k at 10 years.

My 04 cobra depreciated down to 13k (in the dealers eyes) as a trade in vehicle in just 4 years, and only 40k miles driven...and in like new condition. I sold it privately for 18k in order to buy my current r/t. But not a single dealer even came close to what it was really worth. Most only offered wholesale on it.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
how can dealers ask $37-38k for a 2 year old used car when i can get a brand new DY,HO,B-5 blue 2010 for $36-37k

it took me 8 hours to get 4 offers in the $36-37k range 2 weeks ago...one was advertised on cars.com and their website...no bargaining....i think your looking at auctions from 6 months ago??? the 392 is out, prices on the 6.1 have changed dramatically....cant get $42k for a used one anymore
I guess these dealers(all over the country) forgot to check with you first before they set their prices, the auctions I'm referring to are "weekly manheim" that I look at all the time...once the dealer's "dump" their few leftovers, the prices will stabilize for a while...not everyone wants to buy "brand new" and lose $10k leaving the lot :)

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I guess these dealers(all over the country) forgot to check with you first before they set their prices, the auctions I'm referring to are "weekly manheim" that I look at all the time...once the dealer's "dump" their few leftovers, the prices will stabilize for a while...not everyone wants to buy "brand new" and lose $10k leaving the lot :)
so dealers are buying 2 year old cars for $3,000 less than 1 year old new cars?

i dont look at dealer auctions, but it doesnt make sense....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts