Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope this is the right area to post this?
I was wondering if the full coverage insurance rates go up according to engine size and type? ie, R/T vs. SRT rates. And Srt vs. Hellcat or Demon and so on. I'm asking in general.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
Insurance questions can be very hard almost like counting how many fish in the sea. With that said there are literally a million factors that go into a rate starting with different companies, driver history, credit score, multiple vehicle discounts, coverage election, where you live etc. With that said the more expensive the car with a bigger engine will in general cost more than a lesser car with a lesser engine.

FWIW I have a 15 scat and pay 64 a month. Live in NY, clean record, age 35 and great credit score, 500 deductible, 300k liability, full coverage. Since Ive been in my low 20s ive owned a 01 Trans Am, 2010 Camaro, and a 88 Firebird formula, think for all of these cars I have I have been between 40-60 bucks a month. I used to live in Michigan same cars I would be paying double.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Hope this is the right area to post this?
I was wondering if the full coverage insurance rates go up according to engine size and type? ie, R/T vs. SRT rates. And Srt vs. Hellcat or Demon and so on. I'm asking in general.
Car insurance boils down to numbers and statistics. Your engine size has almost nothing to do with it......if ever appears to.......it's probably because on average the car with a bigger motor cost more to replace if totaled and/or fix when it's not.

It's VERY HARD to figure out what each insurance company is looking at or prioritizing when setting prices but their goals are all the same among the various companies.

They want to sell you a policy......they need to offset their risk against a competitive price to get that done.

The problem with trying to nail this down though......all the companies have differing ideas of where profitability is found for the company among all the different drivers and cars they insure. This can lead to very different rates offered for some drivers and certain cars they might own. You really do have to "shop" that policy each year if you want the very best rates.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Car insurance boils down to numbers and statistics. Your engine size has almost nothing to do with it......if ever appears to.......it's probably because on average the car with a bigger motor cost more to replace if totaled and/or fix when it's not.

It's VERY HARD to figure out what each insurance company is looking at or prioritizing when setting prices but their goals are all the same among the various companies.

They want to sell you a policy......they need to offset their risk against a competitive price to get that done.

The problem with trying to nail this down though......all the companies have differing ideas of where profitability is found for the company among all the different drivers and cars they insure. This can lead to very different rates offered for some drivers and certain cars they might own. You really do have to "shop" that policy each year if you want the very best rates.
Disagree with the engine. You might be right in most times a car with bigger engine cost more, so it ultimately will cost more to insure. But most insurances ive ran things through ask for engine size, and sometimes even hp. I wouldn't throw it out as a calculating factor. But like you sais its really comes down to their risk and what they want to charge you for that risk.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
GEICO didn't ask for my engine size. Not in my car, or in my truck. They have formulas based on make/model.

My vehicles are simply listed as 2013 Dodge Challenger, 2016 Ram Pickup and 2017 Honda Pilot.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
I had a 2013 Kia Optima SXL which was a turbocharged 4 cylinder. That cost more to insure by a couple hundred than my current 17 Scat Pack. The only thing I can think of is that the Scat Pack has more safety features than my Kia did.

·
Premium Member
9,681 Posts
The vin# gives them all the pertinent information they need about the car and the drivers license gives them all they need to know about you, then they put it in their computer and you select the coverages. One difference is how they take care of a claim and all the gimmicks on those mind numbing commercials show up and bite you in the butt.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I had a 2013 Kia Optima SXL which was a turbocharged 4 cylinder. That cost more to insure by a couple hundred than my current 17 Scat Pack. The only thing I can think of is that the Scat Pack has more safety features than my Kia did.
crash ratings are big part, because medical can be a big expense. Ive had newer cars cost less than older cars because the crash ratings are better.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Allstate just asks for the VIN. Then they do the calculation from that I guess. They're trying to get me for 405 a month( Full Coverage, and I'm only 21) I'm thinking I can get it cheaper elsewhere. Was paying 171 a month for a 06' Chrysler 300 SRT8.

·
Premium Member
9,681 Posts
Allstate just asks for the VIN. Then they do the calculation from that I guess. They're trying to get me for 405 a month( Full Coverage, and I'm only 21) I'm thinking I can get it cheaper elsewhere. Was paying 171 a month for a 06' Chrysler 300 SRT8.
Get the first ticket and $400 will look good, it happened to my sons friend $400 car payment and $600 insurance. You should pass on this idea, why live for a car?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,773 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Im thinking i might be getting hosed..

My 16 Scat Pack is 150 a month..
And im 46. Clean record.
And they also insure my 67 GALAXIE fastback..and my 06 mustang.
And a 01 Saturn for my kid!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
My insurance company mistakenly had the car listed as an SXT. I corrected them that it was an R/T but saw no change in the rate.

They're trying to get me for 405 a month( Full Coverage, and I'm only 21)
:surprise:

·
Registered
410 Posts
$169/mth, full coverage $500 deductable & uninsured, no tickets but I live in New Orleans.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I pay 149.28 for 17 Scatpack , 30 live in Orange county. I feel I should get it for cheaper.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts