Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an r/t six speed and when you turn on the car, many times it will make a clicking noise very similar to the noise the starter makes when you try to start your car and have a dead battery. Does anyone know what this can possibly be?

Additional info: this is my first six speed, and when I first got it, there was a decent amount of start, stop, start, stall, stall, start, stall...I don't stall the car now, but I am wondering if when I got it I somehow messed it up. I only have five hundred miles on the car and around three hundred are from my husband driving it anyway (who can drive stick well).

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,294 Posts
Does the engine still start when it makes this clicking sound?

Take it to the dealer and have them check it. You don't necessarily have to tell them you stalled it more than once or twice. ;)

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,918 Posts
you may have a bad connection to the battery cable as they did have a recall to fix the cable on the 09's, take it to the dealer and have them check it out.

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
Malmsteen's got a 2010 I believe, so the battery cable recall isn't applicable. However, the best strategy with a car under full warranty is to take it in to the dealer, as long as it's a noise that occurs regularly enough for the service department mechanics to experience it.

And just a dumb suggestion - make sure the battery terminal connection bolts are snug in the trunk.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
The loose battery cable applies to the 2010 as my 2010 PCP had a no start issue after I had it for a week, The positive cable was only finger tight and would not start.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think it's the battery terminal..the car starts, not a problem. I really think I did something to it. For one day, when I first started driving it (the car had about 40 miles at the time) I was just practicing in the parking lot and must have restarted the car fifty times, I think I messed something up on it..I'm taking full responsibility here..that day it started making the noise...

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
I don't think it's the battery terminal..the car starts, not a problem. I really think I did something to it. For one day, when I first started driving it (the car had about 40 miles at the time) I was just practicing in the parking lot and must have restarted the car fifty times, I think I messed something up on it..I'm taking full responsibility here..that day it started making the noise...
You didn't hurt the car unless you were practicing burn outs or slipped the clutch so much you burned it up.

If you did hurt it practicing starting out slowly then there was something not right with it to start with.

If the starter is the problem after 50 starts, they need to replace it under warranty also.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You didn't hurt the car unless you were practicing burn outs or slipped the clutch so much you burned it up.

If you did hurt it practicing starting out slowly then there was something not right with it to start with.

If the starter is the problem after 50 starts, they need to replace it under warranty also.
You're right. I'll bring it to Dodge if it continues. And I'm sure I didn't start it fifty times but when I stalled, I would restart it. I don't stall it anymore so it really was just for two hours in the mall parking lot one day but it is still making the noise. The car is under warranty. I've just never heard a car do this before and it's my first manual so I was thinking it was something specific to that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My 2010 auto r/t also makes a loud clicking noise sometimes, not always, for a few seconds when I start it.

I dont know too much, but wasn't it mentioned before that the lifters(i think) in the engine some times make a loud clicking noise?
Sorry if im wrong, but just throwing it out there.

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
Malmsteen, please check your battery cable. Thinking it's not loose is not the same as checking. :) In any troubleshooting process, it's best to start with the simplest possible issues and work your way up the complexity ladder if need be.

It probably isn't the battery but..... Takes a 10 mm socket, BTW.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Malmsteen, please check your battery cable. Thinking it's not loose is not the same as checking. :) In any troubleshooting process, it's best to start with the simplest possible issues and work your way up the complexity ladder if need be.

It probably isn't the battery but..... Takes a 10 mm socket, BTW.
True! I'll do this next time I'm near the car :O)

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I don't think you hurt a thing. Mine is Auto though but it is just the starter drive turning. Mine clicks when I start it and I have been a tech for 34 years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok mine clicks even when off and going down road. I noticed it when I turned on my heater sounded as if it was on passenger side. That's is still where clicking is coming from. If I open door and shut it. It makes clinking sound. I can be sitting on porch and hear it clicking. Definitely will check battery.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts