Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I turn on a rough surface the power steering becomes difficult to turn and also makes a scraping noise. At first I thought it was the wheels but they are 265/35/r22. I’m thinking a bad wheel bearing but maybe something else ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I took a look at the power steering fluid and that things is very dark red almost black !! I think that’s what’s causing the issue

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,848 Posts
Can you record a video of the noise and share?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What I else noticed is that it takes some time for the noise to come on and then get progressively louder

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
That was with the car sitting still, not moving, correct?

If so, I’d say it has to be something with the rack or power steering pump.

What year model is the car? How many miles?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes not moving. 2012 srt8 with 58k miles. I think it maybe be the fluid because it’s blacks and smells burnt

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
It could be, but if it is, you may have to replace the rack because of it. You can try flushing and refilling with fresh fluid to see that helps any. If not, the damage is already done and will require new hardware to resolve.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you know where I can get a replacement ?

would it help to avoid driving until I figure the issue out be helpful ?

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Do you know where I can get a replacement ?
Try car-part.com to search local salvage yards for a used one. I hear bad things about the rebuilt ones you get at local auto parts stores

would it help to avoid driving until I figure the issue out be helpful ?
Probably not. If there is damage bad enough to make grinding noises, it needs replaced, and driving a little longer won’t make it stop working completely.

all that is assuming it is a prob with the rack. Best to get someone to diagnose it for sure before buying any replacements

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I flushing the fluid just now with royal purple. Flushed the system and took it driving for some time it seems ok now but we will see if it stay like this

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
If the noise stopped with the new fluid, leave it alone. Listen for any new noises, but maybe you got lucky and it just needed new fluid.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts