Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always liked cars as an outsider but never as like a 'car guy'. So I basically know nothing. I got a 16 R/T Shaker, the engine noise is louder than the exhaust and I want to fix that lol. I've seen a lot of people say straight pipe it with glassbacks(that could be wrong or misspelled). Also seen a good amount of people say get cut outs, which I think are awesome but not certain how they work or where the button for that gets placed. Also I feel like I hardly see prices anywhere on here, not sure why if there is a reason or not but I was wanting a better guess on what I should be looking to spend because I want to do it all in one swoop. This is not a daily so idc how loud it is and if I can do cut outs with a switch on the inside then I'd be super game for that and maximize the loudness.

I have also seen people say certain things can void warranty, definitely dont want to do that. Also this drone noise, i dont really understand what that is all about either and if its bad I guess I want to avoid it? Maybe? Idk lol. If you want just shoot a link to a product or a video explaining differences I've seen some but I know there is a decent difference for SXT, R/T, SRT and those so not sure if the best for one is the best for all.

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
550 Posts
I definitely feel your pain. I have a 2015 R/T Classic and honestly the out of the box tone does not match the car. FCA could have done better and actually corrected this in 2017 with the active exhaust on all 5.7 L engines.

I watched a lot of Youtube videos and also review on this site. In the end I decided on the Mopar Performance cat-back. I am very pleased with the aggressive tone and growl through the gears. I bought it from a dealership for 1295 + 150 to install. It is all clamps and if you have a lift or a way to get under the car you can DIY install in under an hour and save the installation costs. This is also a key component to the Scat Pack Stage 1 upgrade package.

There are many options out there and a sound for everyone. I would say you are in the right place to start. I personally, would not go straight pipe or change out the mufflers for glass packs. They sound good but I worry about the back pressure not being right.

Good Luck in your search for the right exhaust and welcome to CT.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Start searching the forum here and Youtube for Challenger exhaust set ups. There are many, so be ready to do some studying!

It's a very personal thing, really. What makes to much drone and is unbearable for one person might be just right to another person. One likes Corsa, one like Borla, one likes Mopar...... and Magnaflow, and Flow Master... and on and on.

I put the Corsa Extreme system on my old '16 R/T Shaker and liked it a lot. It was about $1400 for the cat back system.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Im in the boat as I like how loud(not loud to some) it is but hate the drone at certain rpms. I see people post like muffler delete, resonator delete.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
I initially went with Blastin Bobs' glass pack axle backs. I loved the sound, my neighbor didn't, but the drone was horrible. In an effort to appease my neighbor, I switched to Blastin Bobs Magnaflow axle backs and really like them. I still have nice throaty exhaust tone and the interior drone is almost non-existant. The drone issue is real so be careful about deleting the resonators. Paul

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I initially went with Blastin Bobs' glass pack axle backs. I loved the sound, my neighbor didn't, but the drone was horrible. In an effort to appease my neighbor, I switched to Blastin Bobs Magnaflow axle backs and really like them. I still have nice throaty exhaust tone and the interior drone is almost non-existant. The drone issue is real so be careful about deleting the resonators. Paul
I saw some of their stuff, they have auto and non-auto ones. Which one did you get and do you have. Also did you do the install? I've heard cat back is super simple is axle back just as easy?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Exhaust is a really tough one with so many options and varying opinions. You can try watching youtube videos, and that may help to a degree, but it's so hard to tell the bass of the rumble or drone from a cell phone upload. I originally had Flowmaster American Thunder cat back and reviews were about 50/50 whether or not it droned. Let me tell you, it does drone. I had it for 3 years because the sound of the exhaust (when not droning) was amazing. There were certain rpm bands and throttle positions which could make it better or worse, so I basically changed my driving habits to attempt to avoid the drone, but couldn't completely.

Drone is this specific frequency that resonates in the metal and creates this very odd, often very load, artificial sound. Like a harmonic hum but in a bad way.

Now I have zoomers and love them, but they aren't perfect either. They have this flutter sound at idle which sounds a bit farty. From what I understand, I can buy their tips and the flutter will be reduced, but that's an extra $3-400.

If you're really trying to save money, people claim to have luck removing resonators and welding in replacements. While this might end up saving you money, it may very well create a lot of hassle.

In general, if you have an opportunity to hear them in person like at a meet or something, that's the way to go. Otherwise my advise is to spend the money and only spend it once. Instead I had a $500 exhaust system that was good but droned (can't hold a conversation loud) and then spent the money on a $1200 system.

Also with voiding warranty, it's technically possible and might depend on the dealer. Once you're flagged, your warranty is done. Maybe talk to the service manager at your local dealer and see what he thinks. If he won't flag your car, you can throw some business their way and everyone's happy. I believe most dealers won't void you for cat-back exhaust. I guess if something super major goes wrong, you could revert back to stock (as long as you didn't chop up your exhaust) and take it in.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
I saw some of their stuff, they have auto and non-auto ones. Which one did you get and do you have. Also did you do the install? I've heard cat back is super simple is axle back just as easy?
I have a 6m so I bought the -L version recommended for the manuals. Each pipe has to be cut once then the new stuff just clamps in place. If you can make the cuts you can do it yourself. I don't have a lift or cutting tools so I took it to a shop. This first time it took about 2hrs, the second time it was less than an hour as it was a direct replacement. The first one I bought was the GP250CE-L the replacement was the MF49CE-L. My car is a '12 RT. Paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts