Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a flat surface I measured the distance from the ground to the top of the fender opening for new tire clearance. Strangely, I found this:

Driver Front = 28 1/8"
Passenger Front = 28 3/8"

Driver's side 1/4" lower

Driver Rear = 29 1/2"
Passenger Rear = 29 5/8"

Driver's side = 1/8" lower

The car has the MOPAR lowering springs for about 4 years.

Sounds like a good setup if I was just making left turns... LOL

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,961 Posts
Date a zoftig woman :)

A Guy

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
You could probably bounce the car up and down by pushing down on a fender and get 1/4 to 1/2 inch deviation in the place it comes to rest after each bounce. I think you're looking for a problem where there isn't one.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
The variation is probably within the factory tolerances, if there is even a factory call out for those dimensions.

Ride height is generally measured from the road surface to some point under the car.

If you want to bring those measurements closer you'll probably have to fit adjustable suspension components, coil overs maybe or something.

But while you can then probably get the car's sheet metal the same distance off the ground you probably upset the corner balance of the car. Rather than type all this in let me supply you with a link.

Corner Balancing Is A Lot More Important Than You Think

So what numbers do you want perfect? The rather inconsequential distance from the ground to the fenders or the amount of weight over each corner of the car?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,570 Posts
Was the fuel tank full when you took the measurements? By design, the passenger side pump is always dumping fuel to the driver side tank to make sure it is full. At 1/2 tank the driver side tank should be full and the passenger side almost empty. I wonder if anyone has put the car on 4 scale system...would be cool to see the weight distribution per tire.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Remember these? :)
I was putting a set of those in my 1975 Catalina (pea-green inside and out), when I pulled it off of the bumper jack (remember the ones with little tab that engaged a slot in the bumper that always rusted out? I spent 60 horrifying seconds pinned under the left rear quarter panel (rear tire was off) before my wife and a neighbor could lift it up enough to drag me out.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, guys... I get it... I'm worried about something that is a nothing. And, yes, the gas tank was about half full... LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts