Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start entering my car in some shows however im not really sure how the judging works. I have a few dents and 2 large scratches that I used touch up paint on however it needs to be taken to a body shop. Im saving up to get those fixed. Other than that it looks really nice! So what do the judges base their rankings on? And what upgrades would help me in shows? Thanks

·
Registered
980 Posts
It varies depending on the show. Some will have awards based solely on the whims of the judges. Others will have ultra structured scoring systems. Still others will have a democratic voting system for awards.

As a general rule of thumb, you can assume your vehicle will be assessed on several components like engine, paint/body, interior, etc. Deficiencies in one area (like your paint issues) may be made up with an exceptional engine bay or otherwise flawless finish or something.

The single biggest thing I have seen win shows is the detailing of the vehicle - every panel and every little nook and cranny should be clean, waxed and polished. Dirt on a show car is sort of like typos on a resume - it disproportionately overwhelms the good stuff.

Little custom touches go a long way as well, like a painted engine cover to match the color scheme of the vehicle.

Of course, big stuff like a supercharger is a crowd pleaser, but that is usually out of the car show budget for the average enthusiast. You really don't have to spend a ton if you do a thorough detail and design a consistent and tasteful theme for the vehicle.

Have fun!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
174 Posts
I jumped into s few car shows to see how mine stacks up and you will quickly find that it will be less about awards and prizes and more about networking with fellow car lovers. You will find contacts and experience for everything you will need and there will always be more expensive faster and interesting cars. I would not worry about the dents, scratches and dings because you will find the best local pdr guy in town and a great price after you network a bit.

·
Premium Member
10,421 Posts
If the car has any exterior blemishes and other defects, you can't win so get them corrected.
They open the doors and look under your seats to look for how well you vacuum etc. so a damaged exterior will knock you out.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Car Show Etiquette

Entrant's-Perspective:
• Research the show to make sure you qualify for entry.
• Follow the rules of the show and the host, you are a guest.
• Do not appear late, park with the show and not pay your entry fee.
• Properly clean and display your vehicle, open hood.
• If you have a sign, secure it so it does not blow over and hit another vehicle.
• If you put up canopies, secure them with stakes or weights to the ground and place them where they do not interfere with the show.
• Do not criticize other vehicles in the presence of the owner.
• In general, behave yourself, everyone is attending the show to have fun.
• If you get a trophy, you are lucky. If there was a real judging error, discuss it
with a show host or the judges.
• Follow all show rules. No burn outs and drive safely away from the show.

Spectator's-Perspective:
• Enjoy the show but respect the cars.
• Do not touch or enter vehicles without the owner's permission. Be careful of watches, hanging jewelry or your clothing scraping the vehicles.
• Children need to be monitored and not allowed to touch/climb on vehicles.
• Keep all stroller's, bikes and wheel chairs away from the vehicles, do not go
between the vehicles with such items.
• Pets are allowed at many shows (verify) however do not allow your pet to jump
on the vehicles and always pick up after your pet.

Judges-Host Perspective:
• Adequately advertise the show and advertise early in the Season.
• Put on a well organized show with ample room.
• Have plenty of bathrooms, food vendors and adequate staffing.
• Cars should be parked far enough apart to completely open the doors.
• Have ample trophies for all classes and spread the trophies around to as
many participants as possible.
• Verify the eligibility of each trophy prior to presentation.
• Trophies should not be awarded to; vehicles with hoods shut or that are
advertised "for sale."
• Judges should be impartial and fairly judge every vehicle that was entered.
• If judging is done by participants, do not vote more than one time.

Everyone attending a Car Show is there to have fun ! Vehicle owners have a huge investment of time, money and hard work in restoring and maintaining their vehicles. Their efforts are at times underappreciated as if they did not attend...there would be no show. Keep them happy and they will return next year and make your show...a success !

·
Registered
258 Posts
If your car is not perfect and super clean....some one else's will. So dont expect to trophy. If you go for the reason most of us do...b.s. with your buds, then go for it. Trophies are a bonus anyway.:dj:

Attachments

·
Registered
598 Posts
Car shows are fun to go to as a spectator only. People don't care about your car. People will touch, rub, lean & mess with your car. It's not worth the camaraderie for my car to get un-nessesary abuse. I will take my cars to cruise-ins but that's it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Car shows are fun to go to as a spectator only. People don't care about your car. People will touch, rub, lean & mess with your car. It's not worth the camaraderie for my car to get un-nessesary abuse. I will take my cars to cruise-ins but that's it.

I have been taking my Charger to shows for 7 years and the Challenger for 3....never had a scratch or damage. We at times need to tell a little kid to keep his paws off....but again, no big deal or damage. People do care about the cars as far as they are interested in the cars....ask many questions, etc. As far as comaraderie....I dont know how old you are dude but in the end....all you really have is your friends. I try to have a good time with my buds while attending. Bonus.....girl watching ! :SM127: :eek:hyeah: :SM120: To each his/her own. Enjoy your ride either way ! :spineyes:

·
Registered
598 Posts
I have been taking my Charger to shows for 7 years and the Challenger for 3....never had a scratch or damage. We at times need to tell a little kid to keep his paws off....but again, no big deal or damage. People do care about the cars as far as they are interested in the cars....ask many questions, etc. As far as comaraderie....I dont know how old you are dude but in the end....all you really have is your friends. I try to have a good time with my buds while attending. Bonus.....girl watching ! :SM127: :eek:hyeah: :SM120: To each his/her own. Enjoy your ride either way ! :spineyes:
I can hang with my friend at the shows with our cars in the parking lot. Don't know what year Charger you have/had at shows but my '69 I had the flip top gas cap popped open so many times I lost count at shows & sometimes left open. Organisol pain messed up by rubbung on it to try & figure it out. As far as kids on cars, yeah they touch them but its the grown adults that see someone they know when near my car & all the sudden a restored car is now a leaning post. I don't need the frustration or awkward moments plus when I want to leave I just go. It's good for some & I have plenty of buddies that wouldn't even consider thier car at a show.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
There are paid car shows where you enter your non driving, garage queen and trailored car to try and win a trophy.

Then there are car cruises, where you get to show off your car, hang out with your friends, meet new friends, talk to people about your car and have a great time. These are usually free, better and worth your time and effort. It's a good way to start out and see if you would even like to enter your car for a trophy/prize

1 - 10 of 10 Posts